!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 254018 times)

Offline Tony G

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17762
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #315 on: March 19, 2015, 09:37:17 PM »
But Sir Nigel in which livery? I want to do something a bit different, so what do people reckon: wartime black, early BR blue or late BR brunswick green...?

Early BR Blue, definitely  :)

Cheers,
Alan

For Sir nigel I would agree with Early BR Blue. for a future A4 project, the purple livery would be interesting but it would need skirts. No it's not purple it would actually be Aqua marine blue but is known as the purple livery LOL!  :D

Regards

Tony

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: March 20, 2015, 10:33:47 AM »
But Sir Nigel in which livery? I want to do something a bit different, so what do people reckon: wartime black, early BR blue or late BR brunswick green...?

Early BR Blue, definitely  :)

Cheers,
Alan

For Sir nigel I would agree with Early BR Blue. for a future A4 project, the purple livery would be interesting but it would need skirts. No it's not purple it would actually be Aqua marine blue but is known as the purple livery LOL!  :D

Regards

Tony

OK, well that's that decision made... early BR blue it is! Thanks guys! :)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #317 on: March 30, 2015, 10:25:23 AM »
Christmas just came early - I've been given - given - a new "test track"...!  :D

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

In other news... the "Polar Express" is now finished and running (and on ebay!!)

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #318 on: March 30, 2015, 10:33:27 AM »
 :toot: :toot: :toot:
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #319 on: March 31, 2015, 01:35:59 PM »
Nothing to do with N Gauge, I know, but I mentioned earlier that I was saving the money I made from restored loco sales for a non-N Gauge toy.

And here it is:

It sounds as good as it looks... :claphappy:

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: March 31, 2015, 01:47:02 PM »
Looks like this is your lucky year what with your new test track and now your latest purchase let's hope it continues.
Bob

Offline keerout

• N Gauge Society Number: 21976
    • Awards
« Reply #321 on: March 31, 2015, 01:47:35 PM »
Rock on!  8)
Gerard

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #322 on: March 31, 2015, 04:17:30 PM »
Very nice indeed  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #323 on: April 01, 2015, 10:59:01 PM »
I have just found in one of many endless boxes an old farish class 5 chassis that is minus all its motion, the question if can I use this chassis for anything (I only model pre-BR LMS) or should I throw this chassis to the bin of doom?????? :doh:

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #324 on: April 01, 2015, 11:27:39 PM »
I have just found in one of many endless boxes an old farish class 5 chassis that is minus all its motion, the question if can I use this chassis for anything (I only model pre-BR LMS) or should I throw this chassis to the bin of doom?????? :doh:

Don't throw it out Paul, unless the "Bin of Doom" is a mate / ebay / your local club etc.  ;D

I'm no expert on steam so cannot advise. If you're after new connecting rods etc. then you can get all that from BR Lines. Question is, is it worth spending the money on?

Definitely not a bin contestant though (value in the motor and some other bits).

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #325 on: April 01, 2015, 11:38:43 PM »
Reattaching motion to the original Farish models is not so simple - it's only attached via heat moulded central crank pin to the central drivers - if it's off the centre driver then you'd need to check the condition of the plastic crank pin that's moulded integral to the wheel - if it's lost too much when the original motion was pulled off then there's not a simple way to reattach motion as there isn't enough to re-mould or attach to.

In this case it's easier to just buy a new central driver with all motion attached. BR Lines sell these, but I'm not sure that they sell anything else in terms of separate motion components.

Failing all that it's an ideal 0-6-0 chassis for a multitude of kits, or scratchbuilding. Or cannabalise for spares.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #326 on: April 01, 2015, 11:40:28 PM »

Don't throw it out Paul, unless the "Bin of Doom" is a mate / ebay / your local club etc.  ;D

I'm no expert on steam so cannot advise. If you're after new connecting rods etc. then you can get all that from BR Lines. Question is, is it worth spending the money on?

Definitely not a bin contestant though (value in the motor and some other bits).

Dan

Dan's right, somebody will have a use for it. Me, for a start...!! :)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #327 on: April 02, 2015, 06:48:10 AM »
Reattaching motion to the original Farish models is not so simple - it's only attached via heat moulded central crank pin to the central drivers - if it's off the centre driver then you'd need to check the condition of the plastic crank pin that's moulded integral to the wheel - if it's lost too much when the original motion was pulled off then there's not a simple way to reattach motion as there isn't enough to re-mould or attach to.

In this case it's easier to just buy a new central driver with all motion attached. BR Lines sell these, but I'm not sure that they sell anything else in terms of separate motion components.

Failing all that it's an ideal 0-6-0 chassis for a multitude of kits, or scratchbuilding. Or cannabalise for spares.

Cheers,
Alan

Alan

There appears to be a little of the plastic left on the center drivers so I may be able to attach the side rods with the aid of my soldering iron.

Apart from that it looks like its had "improvement" treatement" from one of my brothers, who in his younger days thought destroying anything of mine was a definite improvement.

I just need to figure out what I can create with it

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #328 on: April 02, 2015, 09:02:01 AM »

Cheers,
Alan

Alan

There appears to be a little of the plastic left on the center drivers so I may be able to attach the side rods with the aid of my soldering iron.

Apart from that it looks like its had "improvement" treatement" from one of my brothers, who in his younger days thought destroying anything of mine was a definite improvement.

I just need to figure out what I can create with it

How about drilling a hole into the plastic stub and using a fine cut-off nail with some glue to hold the gear on? I've done this with a broken Fleischmann in the past and it's worked well.

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #329 on: April 08, 2015, 10:14:34 AM »
Another one finished and up for sale - class 42 Warship D826 "Jupiter":

Dan's Diesels get ever closer to completion - just the numbering and a couple of details to go on the 56 now (Dan, if you want anything changed, now's the time to scream before the varnish goes on!!) ;)

Plenty more on the workbench, so updates soon!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal