!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 253961 times)

Offline DesertHound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #300 on: March 13, 2015, 06:57:28 PM »
Stupendous Sir Mandias of Oz! I like the Mallard very much (after the 47 and 56 you understand)  ;D

That orange Hungarian thingy - is there an ebay Hungary? Then it really WOULD be somebody's pride and joy.
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: March 16, 2015, 10:39:07 AM »
Another one finished!

I'm pleased with this one - not just because I really like the livery, but because I've got the motor and gear working well (they had half a carpet in them!)

She's now on ebay - I was tempted to keep her but I have a non-N Gauge toy I have my eye on which I am saving for...  :heart2:

I'd be interested on views about the livery - I'm not sure it's historically accurate, but I like it! ;)

"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #302 on: March 16, 2015, 10:52:08 AM »
I'd be interested on views about the livery - I'm not sure it's historically accurate, but I like it! ;)

The Ivatts were pretty late on LMS production and therefore only came in LMS black prior to BR black.

But rule 1 and all that....  ;)

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #303 on: March 16, 2015, 10:52:24 AM »
Not prototypical in LMS or BR service but I think (if memory serves) one may have worn a lined maroon livery in early preservation days on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway..

Edit: -

In fact it was 41241, in a fictitious K&WVR livery. Bachmann even did a model of it!

http://www.thelocoshedmcr.co.uk/product.php/6204601/

Roy
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:58:49 AM by Roy L S, Reason: Additional Info »

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #304 on: March 16, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »
Not prototypical in LMS or BR service but I think (if memory serves) one may have worn a lined maroon livery in early preservation days on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway..

Roy

It did indeed - which is where I got the idea for this one! :) I couldn't find a convincing way of doing the KWVR lettering or crest, though, so I decided to go LMS.

Offline Sipat

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #305 on: March 17, 2015, 09:14:58 AM »
Here she is, with chassis for the first time. Will be going on holiday to join Callums fleet on Apa Park and Apagele shortly as I am having a little GWR interlude. Normal service will be resumed as soon as I have worked the 14XXs out of my system

Fantastic job and really looks the part. 

Repainted 31 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #306 on: March 17, 2015, 09:19:33 AM »
Here she is, with chassis for the first time. Will be going on holiday to join Callums fleet on Apa Park and Apagele shortly as I am having a little GWR interlude. Normal service will be resumed as soon as I have worked the 14XXs out of my system

Fantastic job and really looks the part. 

Oh, wow! She looks great with the chassis on! :) I'm delighted that you're pleased with her. I could get to quite like these stripey diesels...

Offline Sipat

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #307 on: March 17, 2015, 09:23:28 AM »
Oh, wow! She looks great with the chassis on! :) I'm delighted that you're pleased with her. I could get to quite like these stripey diesels...

Yeah, it looks fantastic. Callum has all my other intercity stuff at the minute so will post some pictures of it on some stock when we get chance. Class 31's are one of my favourites, and there were many liveries that were never released leaving plenty of scope for repaints. I did a triple grey one myself but just never got round to doing an Intercity one.

Top marks good sir!

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: March 17, 2015, 11:47:14 AM »
I've got a couple of Lima 31s that need repainting and sorting internally - I think I'm going to do one in the "Golden Ochre" scheme, it looks rather nice. And perhaps a West Coast one...

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: March 17, 2015, 11:52:59 AM »
You mention picking out old paint. I was just wondering, is there any way you can drop the bodies in some kind of bath to strip the paint?
Dan

20 years or so ago, I used to use brake fluid which takes quite a time to work, but is kind to the loco. From memory, I'm pretty sure it didn't rot plastic, but I would try it on something you didn't mind losing first. I can't speak from recent experience as I haven't done any re-liveries since coming back into the hobby.

Hope this helps.

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2015, 02:46:40 PM »
A slightly unfortunate discovery... I just bought some Farish Fairburn tank 2-6-4T wheels and bogies, imagining that they'd fit the standard Farish chassis/worm drive arrangement.

But they don't...

They have no drive cog on the centre wheel, just two squarish washers on each axle. Can anyone explain to me how these locos are driven? With pics woudl be even better! :-)

Thanks!

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2015, 04:17:18 PM »
A slightly unfortunate discovery... I just bought some Farish Fairburn tank 2-6-4T wheels and bogies, imagining that they'd fit the standard Farish chassis/worm drive arrangement.

But they don't...

They have no drive cog on the centre wheel, just two squarish washers on each axle. Can anyone explain to me how these locos are driven? With pics woudl be even better! :-)

The new tool recent Farish runs on Phosphor pickup bearings that locate into slots in the chassis. These wheelsets therefore can't (easily) be dropped straight into an older style chassis that just has slots for the axles.

The Fairburn should have a drive gear on the middle axle, but I suspect the previous owner has likely removed it if these were taken off for a 2mm FS conversion. The gear won't be the same as old Farish either though.

HTH,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2015, 04:29:58 PM »

But they don't...

The new tool recent Farish runs on Phosphor pickup bearings that locate into slots in the chassis. These wheelsets therefore can't (easily) be dropped straight into an older style chassis that just has slots for the axles.

The Fairburn should have a drive gear on the middle axle, but I suspect the previous owner has likely removed it if these were taken off for a 2mm FS conversion. The gear won't be the same as old Farish either though.

HTH,
Alan

Thanks Alan - a bit of a duff purchase on my side, then...!  :doh:

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #313 on: March 19, 2015, 04:18:43 PM »
Next livery quandary... Sir Nigel of the Broken Nose has become Mallard in E22 livery, so the Mallard has to become Sir Nigel.

But Sir Nigel in which livery? I want to do something a bit different, so what do people reckon: wartime black, early BR blue or late BR brunswick green...?

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #314 on: March 19, 2015, 05:13:19 PM »
But Sir Nigel in which livery? I want to do something a bit different, so what do people reckon: wartime black, early BR blue or late BR brunswick green...?

Early BR Blue, definitely  :)

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal