!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 255371 times)

Online greenlaneman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25444
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #270 on: February 25, 2015, 10:00:13 PM »
With that four axle tender - S15?
Homeopathic warfare - the smallest army wins!
Terry Pratchett

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2015, 12:34:58 PM »
With that four axle tender - S15?

I thought about that too - but the S15 is 4-6-0, whereas this is 4-6-2...  :-\

Whatever it is, it's going to need a LOT of tlc - I took the body off last night to give the innards a bit of a service and the metal chassis is literally flaking and crumbling away. I had this on another Atlas model I've got. It's fixable, just, with 2-part metal adhesive used as filler/strengthener, but it's a sod of a job!
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2015, 01:30:46 PM »
I think your a glutton for punishment This Result is one I can't wait to see.
By the way did you sort out Robert the Devil the one with the slope and you were waiting for tyres to fit.
Bob

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2015, 02:05:26 PM »
I think your a glutton for punishment This Result is one I can't wait to see.
By the way did you sort out Robert the Devil the one with the slope and you were waiting for tyres to fit.
Bob

Thanks Bob - you're right, I think I may have made a (coupling) rod for my own back here... ;)

I did sort out Robert the Devil - it was just that the tender top wasn't seated properly. The tyres went on a treat and made such a difference to the performance. Robert is now with his new owner, who (judging by the ebay feedback) is very happy with him! :)

Offline ijmsmith

• Awards
« Reply #274 on: February 27, 2015, 10:00:55 PM »
Fab Class 20! Will this one find its way onto eBay in the near future? My PayPal account is already straining at the leash for this one… ;D
A bit more work on my various projects...

The London Underground class 20 nears completion - just needs a coat of varnish now:

A Jinty in new red BR livery getting some lining:

Nigel's New Nose is finished! Only... it's not Nigel any more. This is going to be Mallard in her E22 British Railways livery:

The nose repair from the inside - pretty pleased with the way it's come out, considering the massive damage that was there. Just got to make the insides work now - and given that some of the wheels are loose on the axles, this could be a challenge...!  :-:

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: February 28, 2015, 12:33:19 AM »
Fab Class 20! Will this one find its way onto eBay in the near future? My PayPal account is already straining at the leash for this one… ;D

Thanks!:) yes, this will be on eBay very soon - just did the last coat of varnish and l'll give her a test run tomorrow - then she's up for grabs! I'll let you know when I start the auction.

A bit more work on my various projects...

The London Underground class 20 nears completion - just needs a coat of varnish now:

A Jinty in new red BR livery getting some lining:

Nigel's New Nose is finished! Only... it's not Nigel any more. This is going to be Mallard in her E22 British Railways livery:

The nose repair from the inside - pretty pleased with the way it's come out, considering the massive damage that was there. Just got to make the insides work now - and given that some of the wheels are loose on the axles, this could be a challenge...!  :-:

Offline Jim Martin

• N Gauge Society Number: 18071
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: March 01, 2015, 02:46:03 PM »
Call me sad, but few things in life engender as much joy as receiving a package of scrap/spares locos bought cheaply off ebay to discover that all the motors work!

Anyone any ideas as to what this, er, concoction on an Atlas chassis might be...? It looks perfectly salvageable, but I don't know what to restore it back to...! :confused1:

My first thought was someone had tried to create a Riddle Standard 6, or maybe a Britannia-ish?

Judging from the general shape of the boiler and the way the cab sits, and especially from the tender bogies, I'm pretty sure that this started out as one of these: http://www.spookshow.net/loco/riv462.html

It's an American prototype and to be fair, whoever set out to rebuild it made some pretty impressive progress in transforming it, although I wouldn't want to guess what into.

Jim
Believe me. These things always have a logical explanation usually

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: March 02, 2015, 12:24:26 PM »
A couple of (finally!) completed projects:

A Deltic masquerading as the DP2 (I know, I know, the roof's all wrong and the vents aren't right, but I like the livery and it's a bit different..!)

The LU Class 20 is also done. Rather pleased with this one - it looks good and when it runs it makes a deliciously "dieselly" growly engine note! :)

Both these locos will be up for sale on ebay shortly - I have to pay my Railmatch paint/Fox transfers bills somehow! ;)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: March 02, 2015, 12:31:56 PM »
Call me sad, but few things in life engender as much joy as receiving a package of scrap/spares locos bought cheaply off ebay to discover that all the motors work!

Anyone any ideas as to what this, er, concoction on an Atlas chassis might be...? It looks perfectly salvageable, but I don't know what to restore it back to...! :confused1:

My first thought was someone had tried to create a Riddle Standard 6, or maybe a Britannia-ish?

Judging from the general shape of the boiler and the way the cab sits, and especially from the tender bogies, I'm pretty sure that this started out as one of these: http://www.spookshow.net/loco/riv462.html

It's an American prototype and to be fair, whoever set out to rebuild it made some pretty impressive progress in transforming it, although I wouldn't want to guess what into.

Jim

Thanks Jim - I think you're absolutely right! I think someone must have been trying to "Britishify" it. Once I've mended the rotten chassis I'll strip the body, give it a new cab and keep the British look. It won't be a "real" loco, but it will look beautiful! :)

Offline Jim Martin

• N Gauge Society Number: 18071
    • Awards
« Reply #279 on: March 02, 2015, 08:27:33 PM »
You're welcome. This is a great thread, by the way. I discovered it yesterday morning and read the whole thing in one go. I've often been tempted by those "spares or repair" lots on eBay but I don't have time for the models I want for myself, let alone anything else. You've done some smashing work, though.

Jim
Believe me. These things always have a logical explanation usually

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: March 03, 2015, 10:39:43 AM »
More on the go...

On the right, Dan's 56 gets its red stripe - on the left, a Lima 86 (that was hideously painted!) gets a strip-down. This is going to be re-liveried in InterCity colours - "Airey Neave", I think. I've got a Dapol pantograph which I'll fit to this.

Another one done - my InterCity 33 now has buffers. First time I've ever done a stripey loco - quite pleased with the result:

Offline Sipat

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: March 03, 2015, 10:40:46 AM »
Nice work as always, I do like the LU class 20... if only I had time to do stuff like this!

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: March 03, 2015, 03:29:33 PM »
Nice work as always, I do like the LU class 20... if only I had time to do stuff like this!

That's exactly how I feel! If only I had the time ... hmmm, well, I do have the time, the skill is another matter entirely.

Great work Oz. I haven't commented much on the subject this past week, but I'm always lurking in the background, watching your good work. That LU class 20 will fetch a tidy packet I believe. I don't know your circumstances or preferences, but this really could be a nice little side line for you.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: March 03, 2015, 03:40:20 PM »

That's exactly how I feel! If only I had the time ... hmmm, well, I do have the time, the skill is another matter entirely.

Great work Oz. I haven't commented much on the subject this past week, but I'm always lurking in the background, watching your good work. That LU class 20 will fetch a tidy packet I believe. I don't know your circumstances or preferences, but this really could be a nice little side line for you.

Dan

Thanks Dan! It's just something I do in the evenings once the kids have gone to bed to keep myself sane, but I do really enjoy it! :)

Your 47 and 56 are getting there... not long before gloss varnishing and decals! I'm actually beginning to rather like diesels...  :goggleeyes:   ;)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: March 04, 2015, 10:16:30 AM »
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair..."

A couple of my rather more challenging projects...

The mysterious 4-6-2 "Concoction" has been stripped, revealing much bodgery. The cab needs completely rebuilding, those deflectors tidying up and the smokebox door re-making/replacing. Amongst many other things! Here it is next to a rather sad-looking Hymek white metal body, also just stripped:

Here is the chassis of the  "Concoction" - it's in a terrible way! The metal has started to crumble and split. This is fixable, but a messy and tricky job:

The Arnold chassis of the Hymek is really, really jiggered. Not sure what I'm going to do about this, but it's going to involve glue and lots of swearing:

"Round the decay of that colossal wreck..."  ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal