!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 264100 times)

Offline DesertHound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #240 on: January 14, 2015, 11:56:54 AM »
Looks very nice Paul  :thumbsup:
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #241 on: January 16, 2015, 09:47:59 AM »
I had the usual "bloom" problems when I used acrylic matt varnish on the black British Railways pannier I was working on - a couple of coats of Humbrol Mattcote sort of improved matters, but not enough, so I thought I would try my hand at weathering to cover it up.

The aim was to portray a really old, grubby and unloved loco towards the end of its working life:

This is the first time I've attempted weathering and it's taught me some helpful lessons (NEVER use matt acrylic spray again, do the weathering before you use matt cote or it goes all gloopy when you use thinners over the top, etc...)

I used dark earth, soot and rust powders (I'm waiting for delivery of the white one) - I'd love to know what you think! Have I been a bit heavy handed on the rust? Is it in the right places? Constructive criticism welcome - I have a lot to learn about weathering! :)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2015, 09:58:22 AM »
Have I been a bit heavy handed on the rust? Is it in the right places? Constructive criticism welcome - I have a lot to learn about weathering! :)

The most prominent weathering that seemed to occur on locos at the end of steam was just an overall covering of sooty type black or near black grime, for example:

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/001-r-lambeth-carnforth-3b.jpg

That's quite a useful snap as it shows where the overall coating of soot has been wiped off to reveal the original black in places where there's wording. Rust occurred in more specific points rather than over a large amount (well until they got to Barry!) - often around smokeboxes, or cylinder fronts:

http://www.guildford-dragon.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/P1030769.jpg

One thing is that with the livery you have (early early BR, 1948, 1949 type time), I'm not so sure real decrepitude quite works - there would have been dirt, but a little more pride would have been kept in locos at that time in general - especially as the 94xx was one of the later GW pannier designs, so still pretty new at that time (EDIT: actually built 1947-1956...., so very new at that time!) . Have you thought of changing it to BR late crest, and then doing the ultra-distressed-run-down look?

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:59:57 AM by Dr Al »
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #243 on: January 16, 2015, 10:10:43 AM »
Thanks Alan, very good points and helpful pics! :)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2015, 10:11:02 AM »
A bit of work done on the diesels I'm restoring...

The class 50 and 47 "grey and yellow perils" - both need another coat of yellow and some tidying up after my masking slipped, but they're getting there...

The perils again (you can see where the masking slipped!), along with a Warship and a soon-to-be-Intercity 31. The red stripe is no longer on the 31 - I'd used a very old OO gauge decal to create it and while it looks good from a distance it was very brittle and crackled, so I scraped it off. Trouble is, where it had stuck, it had stuck fast...! (Sorry Steve - I know you're keen to get this one - bear with me!)

I've made my own decal by spraying transfer paper, so I'll replace this hopefully tonight.

The London Underground class 20 gets a bit of colour - lots more to go!

Offline Sipat

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2015, 10:21:26 AM »
Looking very good, yet again! The speed you work with these is amazing... No worries on the 31, I have a show next weekend but if that ships sailed then so be it!

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #246 on: January 28, 2015, 10:19:37 AM »
Bit of progress and a new little project...

An old an formerly rather battered Jinty body mid-paint - it's going to be the red BR Jinty 47357 (those blobby black lines will be hidden by lining decals!

I'm unsure about the cab roof - I know it's meant to be mostly the same colour as the body, and reference photos I've seen suggest that just the top plate is black. Is that right or is the central strip all black?! Any advice welcome!

The LU class 20 has a coat of blue. She's going to need some gentle sanding with a very fine grit paper to lose those brush marks in the grey on the roof... I think she'll look pretty good when finished though!

Red stripes back on the InterCity class 31 - home-made using sprayed decal sheet. I'm getting there, Steve!! ;)

Comments, advice, encouragement all welcome! :)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #247 on: January 29, 2015, 10:41:34 AM »
Some projects actually close to completion!!

Robert The Devil - re-painted white metal kit on a Britannia chassis (I know, I know -  it's an A1, not an A3... but I only found that out after I'd done the lining and stripping all that off would have been heart-breaking...) ;)

Even without traction tyres (on order), the Devil fair whizzes around the track! :)

Another "Harry Potter Hall" Olton Hall, 5972 rolls off the production line (of, er, two so far!) ;)

Both will be for sale once I'm happy they run well, if anyone's interested...

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #248 on: January 29, 2015, 12:15:16 PM »
Robert The Devil appears to slope a little bit is that due to no traction tyres other than that two more master pieces How do you do it?
Bob

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2015, 12:17:04 PM »
Robert The Devil appears to slope a little bit is that due to no traction tyres other than that two more master pieces How do you do it?
Bob

You're right about the slope, Bob - I think the tender is not quite sitting right in this shot. I'll sort it out... :)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #250 on: January 30, 2015, 10:42:51 AM »
And another one finished! Kit built 4MT tank, repainted and lined in BR green:

Both this and the Harry Potter Hall are up on ebay now.

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #251 on: February 02, 2015, 02:57:11 PM »
Another one done...!

A very chipped and tired-looking Grafar A3 in BR green has become a shiny, perky-looking LNER 2582 "Sir Hugo" in Darlington green...

Plenty more locos on the workbench (well, dining room table!) - more pics to follow!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #252 on: February 02, 2015, 03:54:36 PM »
Very nice work - though the lining on the tender seems slightly strange (low from top edge) - is this prototypical for this loco?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #253 on: February 02, 2015, 07:31:50 PM »
Lovely lining job Ozymandias.  8)

Very nice work - though the lining on the tender seems slightly strange (low from top edge) - is this prototypical for this loco?

Cheers,
Alan

There's a picture of Sir Hugo in 'The Big Four in Colour', Sir Hugo was rebuilt from an A1 in 1941. The locomotive received LNER green again in 1946 and kept it's pre war number of 2582 is per Ozymandias's example. However, the locomotive was paired with a GNR eight wheel tender at this time, not one of the high sided tenders and the nameplates had black backing. So in answer to Alan's question, yes the tender lining is accurate to the loco c. 1946 but not the tender... Also the locomotive wheels should be green.

Sorry to seem like I'm nitpicking (the A1s and A3s are a minefield!), it really is a lovely lining job.  8)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #254 on: February 03, 2015, 09:44:59 AM »
Lovely lining job Ozymandias.  8)

Cheers,
Alan

There's a picture of Sir Hugo in 'The Big Four in Colour', Sir Hugo was rebuilt from an A1 in 1941. The locomotive received LNER green again in 1946 and kept it's pre war number of 2582 is per Ozymandias's example. However, the locomotive was paired with a GNR eight wheel tender at this time, not one of the high sided tenders and the nameplates had black backing. So in answer to Alan's question, yes the tender lining is accurate to the loco c. 1946 but not the tender... Also the locomotive wheels should be green.

Sorry to seem like I'm nitpicking (the A1s and A3s are a minefield!), it really is a lovely lining job.  8)

Your knowledge is very impressive! :) I'm still pretty new to all this but very happy to learn (and get things right for future!).

Keep nit-picking - it's all helpful... :)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal