!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 264099 times)

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2015, 12:42:19 PM »
Great work there Ozymandias!

A quick note about you're 'Robert the Devil' though:

Either the body is the old Langley kit or somebody has been doing some bashing to the Minitrix A3 body. The lack of bango dome, steam pipe on the right hand side of the loco and lack of superheater header covers on the smokebox indicates that the body is representing an original Gresley A1 (later A10 under Thompson). I believe that the last of these was rebuilt in late 1947 and all of the original Gresley A1s entered BR service as A3s (except Great Northern but that's another story). To be strictly correct the 'A1' should be in LNER green or wartime black.

Sorry, this isn't intended as a criticism of your repair and repainting skills (which are awesome!) just to point out that the loco wouldn't have appeared in that livery in the condition depicted.

Oh, curses! I wish I knew my A3s from my A1s... ;) If I hadn't done all the lining I'd re-paint it the correct colour - but I'm not re-doing all that lining!! This one's a seller, so at least I'll know to advertise it properly as an A1 now!
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2015, 12:47:24 PM »
Looking fantastic as always Oz. Do you think Farish vlass 52 windows could be fitted to the Class 52 body if you drilled out the windows correctly? Just a thought.

Dan

Thanks Dan - good idea! I'm sure they could be "made" to fit with a scalpel, some emery paper and a little brutality...;)

Looks like you've made the "to glaze or not to glaze" decision for me... ;)

Offline DesertHound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2015, 12:52:26 PM »
I'm just trying to recall what method you used for glazing last time. Am I correct in thinking you didn't get along with the liquid glazing?

Various Farish glazing available but I guess it depends upon how easy they would be to fit to a non Farish body (i.e. how much extra work it adds). Personally I prefer glazed diesels - I think something's missing if they have the windows wound down  ;D

I can have a look and see what I've got, or even order a few sets for you and post them on the next time I make an order for other spares. That way you save on postage, since no point paying 1-2 quid for glazing and another 4 quid for postage.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2015, 01:36:16 PM »
I'm just trying to recall what method you used for glazing last time. Am I correct in thinking you didn't get along with the liquid glazing?

Various Farish glazing available but I guess it depends upon how easy they would be to fit to a non Farish body (i.e. how much extra work it adds). Personally I prefer glazed diesels - I think something's missing if they have the windows wound down  ;D

I can have a look and see what I've got, or even order a few sets for you and post them on the next time I make an order for other spares. That way you save on postage, since no point paying 1-2 quid for glazing and another 4 quid for postage.

Dan

Thanks Dan! :) Last time I used acetate sheet cut to shape and glued in place - I liked the Glue N Glaze but the window apertures on the Class 50 I was restoring were just too big to use it without it looking an unholy mess...!

I was thinking of ordering a couple of sets of 52 glazing from BR lines as I have another of the same kit in need of restoring - but if you have any lying around spare I would gladly pay postage and beer money!

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »
Beer money ... That always concentrates the mind  :pint:

I'll have a look Oz!
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2015, 10:29:04 AM »
Oz

I've only got one end for the glazing I'm afraid  :uneasy: Does that qualify me for a half pint?  ;D

I'll ask around.

Cheers

Dan

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: January 11, 2015, 12:29:53 PM »
Oz

I've only got one end for the glazing I'm afraid  :uneasy: Does that qualify me for a half pint?  ;D

I'll ask around.

Cheers

Dan

Ha! :) I'm sure I can stretch to a pint...  ;)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2015, 12:35:30 PM »
The B12 - nearly there! Been a bit of a pig, this restoration - just need to paint the pony wheels and find some way to make the truck sit properly, adjust the coupling rods, weight the rear end of the loco, add some brightwork, fix a coupling to the tender and we're done...

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2015, 01:10:22 PM »
Another masterpiece how DO you do it I expect the offers will come rolling in once you put it up for sale on the Forum.
Bob

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #234 on: January 14, 2015, 10:38:53 AM »
A rather ghostly Class 20, stripped and primered white. Why white primer rather than grey? All will be revealed shortly... ;)

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: January 14, 2015, 11:02:37 AM »
Oz - you've got more models rolling off the production line every month than Jaguar Land Rover  ;D

You certainly don't have the paint shop issues that they had in years gone by  :D

Offline Sipat

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: January 14, 2015, 11:07:06 AM »
Intriguing class 20.... Not going to be and RFS or and Andrew Barclay one is it? Maybe the London underground liveried one....?

Going to be in the market for that 31 shell as I have just sold my grey shell for my 31 and need to get another of some description before the end of the month....

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: January 14, 2015, 11:15:46 AM »
Intriguing class 20.... Not going to be and RFS or and Andrew Barclay one is it? Maybe the London underground liveried one....?

Going to be in the market for that 31 shell as I have just sold my grey shell for my 31 and need to get another of some description before the end of the month....

Well done, Steve - I'm going to do the Underground livery! :-) I'd best get on with that 31 too, then... lucky they both use the same shade of rail white, I can spray them together!

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: January 14, 2015, 11:20:26 AM »
You should try this one ;)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: January 14, 2015, 11:41:49 AM »
You should try this one ;)

Crikey - that's quite... bright, isn't it?! ;)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal