!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 196562 times)

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #1575 on: July 26, 2018, 10:33:35 AM »
Despite the lack of 'me time' I'm sure you enjoyed them being with you but good to see the Depot doing stuff!

Looking forward to sending you my CoT when Colin gets around to shipping it. Smiley?  ;)

Dave G

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1576 on: July 26, 2018, 10:35:59 AM »
Despite the lack of 'me time' I'm sure you enjoyed them being with you but good to see the Depot doing stuff!

Looking forward to sending you my CoT when Colin gets around to shipping it. Smiley?  ;)

Dave G

Absolutely, Dave! :)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1577 on: July 26, 2018, 10:40:47 AM »
Hi Ozy have you prepared lots of photos and reference books on City of Truro ready for the flood of people wanting you to add extra detail ,maybe lining etc .
And how much roughly would you be charging ,a difficult question I know as we donít know quite what the model will be like untill Colin starts shipping them out.
Bob Tidbury

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #1578 on: July 26, 2018, 10:44:31 AM »
Thank heavens I got my other two Jubilee's in the queue before they announced that! Poor ol' Ozy'll be seeing 'Truro's' in his sleep.

;D
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1579 on: July 30, 2018, 10:17:36 AM »
A certain amount of woe has befallen the Despair Depot - I'm hoping one of you might be able to help/advise...!

My test track (which is blossoming into a full-blown mini-layout) has to live in the conservatory. With the heat of recent weeks I think it's suffered from expansion of some of the rails, which has caused some buckling at joints in the track, especially at some corners. This in turn means that locos are de-railing and sticking with horrible regularity...

I really don't want to have to tear up great sections of track, so any ideas how I can cure this? I was thinking about taking a thin Dremel cutting blade to the affected joints to create space for expansion, but hopefully retain connectivity via the bottom of the fishplate - then gently correcting the buckles with thin pliers.

Has anyone had experience of this themselves and (hoepfully) found a fix for it?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/thoughts/sympathy!! ;)

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #1580 on: July 30, 2018, 01:13:50 PM »
Cutting out extra gaps between rail joints sounds like a good idea to me. Other than that, you may want to lift a few short sections, especially near points, and relay them with bigger gaps. Failing that, try hitting the offending rails with a hammer to flatten them. I like that one the best :)

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #1581 on: July 30, 2018, 11:05:37 PM »
I had some trouble like that a few years ago, I used a slitting disc in the minidrill and made cuts at intervals,and soldered thin wire links across the breaks to retain electrical continuity. I staggered the cuts such that there were not breaks in both rails at the same spot

-----------------/-----------------------
      --------------------------/--------------
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #1582 on: July 30, 2018, 11:27:18 PM »
A certain amount of woe has befallen the Despair Depot - I'm hoping one of you might be able to help/advise...!

My test track (which is blossoming into a full-blown mini-layout) has to live in the conservatory. With the heat of recent weeks I think it's suffered from expansion of some of the rails, which has caused some buckling at joints in the track, especially at some corners. This in turn means that locos are de-railing and sticking with horrible regularity...

I really don't want to have to tear up great sections of track, so any ideas how I can cure this? I was thinking about taking a thin Dremel cutting blade to the affected joints to create space for expansion, but hopefully retain connectivity via the bottom of the fishplate - then gently correcting the buckles with thin pliers.

Has anyone had experience of this themselves and (hoepfully) found a fix for it?

My Layout lives in our loft, where the temperatures range from 0C to 45C (the current record!) and knowing about expansion, I re-laid all the track with generous expansion gaps, and even at the highest temperatures I have had no buckling of track and would recommend this as the way forward. a lot of work to be sure, but worth it in the long run

Regards,

Alex 

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #1583 on: August 03, 2018, 03:00:12 PM »

If you cut right through, and solder drop wires to each section, connecting these below the base board would give you a bus replacement service!

Mike

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #1584 on: August 03, 2018, 03:21:33 PM »

[/quote]

If you cut right through, and solder drop wires to each section, connecting these below the base board would give you a bus replacement service!

Mike
[/quote]

I like it. Very witty. :laughabovepost:
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1585 on: August 30, 2018, 02:19:11 PM »
Back from much-needed hols and back to the workbench!

Just a quick snapshot of what's on the go at the moment...

The D11 nears completion ("labour of love" doesn't even begin to describe the lining on this!!); an 0-4-0 saddletank gets some gratuitously ornate lining; what was a rather shabby Peco Jube turns into a hopefully less shabby Patriot; a Hall class dons its little black number; and a Minitrix Ivatt tank does similar but in LMS guise...

Much more on the go, so hopefully more pics soon! :)

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #1586 on: August 30, 2018, 02:44:25 PM »
Great work Gideon.

Regards

Alex

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1587 on: August 30, 2018, 02:54:37 PM »
 :wonderfulmodelling: :greatwork:

And absolutely cracking lining as always! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1588 on: August 30, 2018, 05:52:01 PM »
Another excellent set of examples of your work, Gideon. Your lining work is absolutely wonderful.

I spy another Minitrix BR Blue Warship and a Minitrix BR Lined Black Ivatt 2-6-2T in the left background. (Eventually, I'll buy a Minitrix BR Blue Warship to replace the one I had decades ago.)

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #1589 on: September 01, 2018, 01:30:13 PM »
And a Peco/GEM Peckett!?

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £347.00
Above Goal: £292.00
Site Currency: GBP