!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 209664 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2014, 10:52:51 AM »
Good luck! :worried:

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2014, 10:53:07 AM »
Oz

Apologies if you've already mentioned it, but might I ask how you are applying the paint to the bodies. Are you brushing it on or using an airbrush? So the steps would be;

1) Prime (sprayed on?)
2) Painted (one or two coats?)
3) Varnished (applied with a brush?)

Sorry for all the questions, it's just I'm fascinated with your work and it's something I aspire to one day. Why not learn from the maestro hey?

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

It depends on the loco (plastic/metal) and the paint I'm using.

This particular one has a metal body, so I primed it with Halfords grey primer spray. I only have Maunsell green as a Humbrol acrylic pot, so I painted this on (2 coats) with a brush, then 2 coats of Humbrol acrylic gloss varnish, again brush, and then applied the decals. Then I used Humbrol spray satin varnish over the top - which is where the bloom problems began.

I think my acrylic varnish spraying environment needs to be a lot drier and warmer than my unheated garage!

When I use enamel or Halfords car spray paints (much easier!!) I use the same primer, then do the main colour first - then pick out detailing (black roof, smokebox, footplates, red buffer beams etc) in enamel thinned with a little IPA.

Normally car paints will be "gloss" enough to accept decals, so these are applied and then a final coat of spray satin enamel varnish over the top.

"Maestro"?! *blushes* You are too kind, Sir! :)

when it comes to spray painting, whether you use an aerosol or airbrush, especially if using gloss, I wait for a dry sunny day before attempting to paint, as any dampness or cold in the air will cause gloss paint to bloom. another tip is to pre warm aerosol cans in arm water before applying, and if using propellant cans for airbrushes, to keep the propellant can in warm water as this prevents the possibility of the propellant cooling the paint and causing a blobby spray.

Regards,

Alex

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2014, 11:41:12 AM »
I think you will need more than luck fixing that Garett it looks beyond repair to me,I would have binned it,can't wait to see what an expert like you can do.
Keep us posted with the progress.
Bob

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2014, 11:51:15 AM »
I think you will need more than luck fixing that Garett it looks beyond repair to me,I would have binned it,can't wait to see what an expert like you can do.
Bob

Aha ... underestimate the Maestro at your peril Bob!  ;)
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »
when it comes to spray painting, whether you use an aerosol or airbrush, especially if using gloss, I wait for a dry sunny day before attempting to paint, as any dampness or cold in the air will cause gloss paint to bloom.

Presumably this also applies to the piece being painted? If there is excess dampness from the atmosphere on it? Would you advise warming it slightly too?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2014, 12:46:36 PM »
Bob

Thanks Bob! I don't know about expert - more like "inveterate tinkerer who can't bear to throw anything away"! ;)

The first thing it's going to need is stripping off all the paint and filler to see what of the original remains. Then, after I've had a little cry, I will see what can be re-created with plasticard, Milliputt and bits of old Airfix kit. I do like a challenge, me.  :doh:
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2014, 02:05:56 PM »
when it comes to spray painting, whether you use an aerosol or airbrush, especially if using gloss, I wait for a dry sunny day before attempting to paint, as any dampness or cold in the air will cause gloss paint to bloom.

Presumably this also applies to the piece being painted? If there is excess dampness from the atmosphere on it? Would you advise warming it slightly too?

Cheers,
Alan
I do my spray painting in the lean to of my house - it has a clear roof, so even at this time of year a metal body left in the sun will warm up quite quickly, but you are quite right, it should be warm - plastics & resins do not usually get that cold.

Regards,

Alex

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2014, 08:46:17 PM »
Someone will probably point out that this loco never appeared in this livery (I think it should be blue) but it's still rather nice and I'm pleading Rule One....

The bizarre taken on GWR green 50 was 50 007 renamed as 'Edward Elgar'. It's still around. As a 50 livery it was probably only beaten by the terrible mock LMS livery applied to 50017.

They were originally blue. As well as the specials in green/lms they've also appeared in dutch, network south east and for reasons never entirely clear 50035 spent some time in preservation in Loadhaul which looked absolutely stunning on a 50.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »
The bizarre taken on GWR green 50 was 50 007 renamed as 'Edward Elgar'. It's still around. As a 50 livery it was probably only beaten by the terrible mock LMS livery applied to 50017.
Must be a personal taste thing. I remember being 14 years old and seeing it in the flesh at the Old Oak Common 'GWR 150' day on a nice sunny day. It looked lovely. Made a nice change even from the large logo livery that otherwise suited the 50s rather well.

On the other hand most of the post-privatisation liveries strike me as rather garish compared with the more subtle BR liveries. A bit like comparing British racing green with Italian supercar red!

Cheers, NeMo

Online Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2014, 10:40:35 AM »
I stripped the Beyer Garratt. Goodness, what a lot of gunk and glue and kit-bashed savagery.

Some may see a wreck - I see... potential... ;)

At the other end of the scale, the B1 kit I was working on is now finished (except for the fact that the valve gear is on upside down, as I discovered on a test run last night!) Very pleased with it otherwise:

"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2014, 10:49:12 AM »
You'll be able to give up the day job soon Oz ... remember us mere mortals when you make it please  :-*
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2014, 01:52:36 PM »
The B1 looks superb :thumbsup:
The Garrett looks....erm.....challenging :worried:

Offline jivebunny

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2014, 06:00:09 PM »
Can anyone provide me with a credible excuse to run a B1 through 1990s Chester?  :D

Absolutely stunning work.

JB

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »
Can anyone provide me with a credible excuse to run a B1 through 1990s Chester?  :D

Absolutely stunning work.

JB

Rule 1  :thumbsup:  :NGaugersRule:

cheers John.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2014, 06:49:20 PM »

Mayflower has been operated on the main line - I don't know about the 1990s but it did run in the 1970s on specials from Carnforth and over the past few years has returned to such use.

61264 ran on the mainline from 1998 (like a Dapol B1 - the real one ran for under a year and then had to be taken to pieces and repaired before going back into regular reliable service until 2008  ;) )

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything