!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Quad-Art Set - 3D Printed  (Read 382 times)

Roy L S and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Quad-Art Set - 3D Printed
« on: July 03, 2020, 01:30:37 PM »
Hmmm.... they may be running a little on the low side....

Seriously, I have just received the centre two vehicles from Shapeways to comprise my Quad-Art set. There were from Rue D'etropal's Shapeways shop, and I had them printed in the fine detail plastic. As they arrived they look very clean, although the proof will be when primer coat goes on...

Before all that though I will have to scratchbuild some chassis/underframes, having sourced NGS Gresley bogies and suitable wheels already.

I will post updates on here as I progress, what I am aiming to achieve is a reasonable representation of such a set even if the underframe detail is simplified a little.

Livery will be unlined crimson or maroon (undecided yet!).

How on earth did one of these end up in rural Lincolnshire? Well the story's not too implausible at all, a few sets really were cascaded from suburban work to the "sticks" to provide additional stock for excursions and the like.

Roy

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Quad-Art Set - 3D Printed
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 03:49:03 PM »
I'll be following this with interest, Roy. Not that it should sway you at all but my preference would be maroon. ;)

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 04:00:50 PM »
Teak. Got to be teak...  :whistle:

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 08:28:37 AM »
Teak. Got to be teak...  :whistle:

Another vote for teak - even though I know that's not going to happen!  ;D

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 08:38:57 AM »
Teak?

What is it, some sort of half-baked coffee table?
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 11:45:22 AM »
So, following on from my last posting I have progressed the Quad-Art set somewhat and having produced a basic chassis for each coach I now also have articulation! This was achieved very simply, and is not at all sophisticated but it seems to work just fine.

The basic idea is very simple and has been used before, I "borrowed" the overall N Gauge solution from Ross who is producing the beautiful 3D printed LNER triplet set, albeit his solution is one heck of a lot more professional and a lot less rustic!

A couple of pics below,  Eagle-eyed amongst you will have noted that it is running as a triplet set to prove the concept, this is due to a bogie shortage. When I mentioned the issue to my wife Dawn, she did have a suggestion, but instead I placed an order with the NGS shop...

The bogies are the NGS 8ft type which are close enough for my needs, overall height being an issue I added a drilled plastikard base to the underside of the bogie centre.

Basically the pin you can see on the basic chassis in the foreground goes through the eye of the next coach and locates in the small hole in the bogie (I could have tried to fill and drill the bogie but decided this would be simpler and just as effective - I am a lazy git!). The bottom of the two joiners acts as the pivot point on the bogie top.

Bogie close-up: -

Ultimately the end bogies will be fixed in situ but the set will remain in the four parts and set up on the loose articulated bogies using the pins when run for ease and also to avoid damage which would inevitably happen with a connected four car set flopping about.

Now to crack on with the underframe detail...

Roy

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 03:59:11 PM »
A further update on Quad progress. Yesterday and today was spent cutting bits of plastic (and not my fingers!) in order to add the very prominent footboards and a representation of the underframe trussing to the set, and here it all is posed on my layout, albeit bodies are plonked loosely on underframes as yet.

I have cheated with the centre bogie which is just there to show the whole set pending my NGS order arriving, it is an old (I think Kirk) Gresley bogie from the bits box which is larger than the 8 footers used elsewhere so doesn't fit properly.

It will now have to reamin parked pending arrival of the correct centre bogie from the NGS and underframe detail from P&D Marsh (namely battery boxes, brake cylinders and dynamos).

Grateful thanks to Stevie DC on advice as to the best approach to cleaning the prints of any remaining residue.

Annoyingly in a minor and very irritating accident a buffer got snapped off. I though I had a nice assortment of whitemetal buffers stashed, but typically I can't find them so an e-mail sent to N Brass to order replacements that are as close as possible to the right style.

It may not quite achieve the amazing standards of some of the great modellers on this forum when complete, but I am enjoying the project and it will provide a fairly rare set for my layout.

Hopefully more to come in a few days..

Roy

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 04:34:11 PM »
After breaking one or two buffers on the 3D Trojans that I built a while ago, I now routinely cut all buffers off any of the 3D prints that I have built since and replace them with Nbrass ones. it just makes life so much easier

Regards,

Alex

Online thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:10:14 PM »
I second the buffer removal approach as FUD is far too brittle for N and when (not if) you catch one you are lucky if it is only the buffer that snaps off as often it will take half the buffer beam with it. Even removing them is not without risk!
I always carefully trim them off then replace with brass.
Personally I'd rather designers left them off N gauge prints.

Offline RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: Today at 03:16:07 AM »
I second the buffer removal approach as FUD is far too brittle for N and when (not if) you catch one you are lucky if it is only the buffer that snaps off as often it will take half the buffer beam with it. Even removing them is not without risk!
I always carefully trim them off then replace with brass.
Personally I'd rather designers left them off N gauge prints.

Interesting perspective.   While I've been perfectly happy with my own buffers made on my Photon, I know you aren't the only one to prefer brass buffers, so the question becomes - what would you ideally want on a coach?

I assume a small hole in the correct position would be ideal, ready to receive a new buffer unit.   If that's correct, what diameter and depth would you want?

I ask, because for my triplet I could quite easily separate the buffers out into attachable plastic parts and leave a hole for accurate positioning.   Then those who want the brass alternatives can swap them more easily.

Ross.

PS - I'm really enjoying watching your quad coming together!
“The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars” -Robert Heinlein

An Ex-Pat:  Two decades living in Florida and still a shade of "British Tourist White"

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: Today at 10:43:40 AM »
I assume a small hole in the correct position would be ideal, ready to receive a new buffer unit.   If that's correct, what diameter and depth would you want?

Something like that is ideal - though to be honest for folk who don't want to add buffers, it's easy to chop them off and drill out.

I ask, because for my triplet I could quite easily separate the buffers out into attachable plastic parts and leave a hole for accurate positioning.   Then those who want the brass alternatives can swap them more easily.

Or Dapol Gresley buffers.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Online thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: Today at 10:45:08 AM »

Just a small pilot hole in the right place would suffice as there are a number of brass buffers that could be used and they don't all have the same diameter shank. It's easy enough to drill a hole slightly larger.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal