!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A Modelux two road engine shed  (Read 335 times)

Offline Eggmarine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27026
    • Awards
A Modelux two road engine shed
« on: February 16, 2020, 02:22:34 AM »
I went on a bit of a Modelux (among other brands) buying rampage a few years ago and the kits all went into the kit box as my layout at the time exisited only on cad and in my head. As my layout has now entered the earthly sphere (at least in the form of plywood and bits of wire) i can get on with making some buildings.

I selected the two road shed for my attentions. This is where.... 1. I found out that the Modelux do not supply instructions in the kit you have to download them from the website and... 2. There is no website because Modelux are no more. I balked for a moment before courageously deciding to forge ahead and make the kit.

Initial inspection of the kit showed some extremely fragile components that had broken in a couple of cases, the thinness of the laser cut parts was so acute in places that there was barely enough strength in the component to support it's own weight. Delicate handling was a must, and any dodgy parts were reinforced by soaking liquid superglue into them and allowing it to dry. This trick makes thin sections of card a lot more durable..

Early on i decided to glaze the model and Modelux had generously supplied the glazing in the form of the clear plastic packaging. Strips were cut to size and glued in place behind the windows, easy peasy.

The model was assembled using UHU which allows some repositioning then when i was happy the joins were reinforced with superglue.

The higher part of the roof on the model is an attractive clerestory (is that the right word) type affair but unfortunately it didn't turn out well, partly due to my sausage fingers and partly due to the huge amount of interlocking parts in this area which for me detracted from the model. For this reason i roofed it over with some grey card salvaged from the cereal cupboard, same for the gutter between the two apexes which was a large gap on this model.

I'll paint the grey card apexes so they blend in with the rest of the roof, a bit of filling and touching up and i feel it's a successful model. I've got some Ratio guttering in stock so that'll go on and lighting is definitely in order.

Shame about Modelux going away, the kits are lovely if a bit challenging in places. The tolerances on the internal braces are such that quality control must have been a nightmare. I've got a few more of their kits so i'm looking forward to finishing this one off and getting on to the water tower next.

And hopefully Modelux people if you read this you will have another bash!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 02:26:43 AM by Eggmarine »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: A Modelux two road engine shed
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 03:55:41 AM »
That's a nice model. Thanks for posting!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline grid078

• N Gauge Society Number: 11150
    • Suffolk and North Essex area group of the N-Gauge Society
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 08:34:56 AM »
Have a look on rmweb there are people on there who have instructions.
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138014-modelux-websiteinstructions/

Hope this helps.
Regards Stuart

Offline Eggmarine

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 04:59:14 PM »
Thankyou, i've dug out some ratio guttering which on first glance i should be able to stretch to do the whole building. Watercolour pencils at the ready, hopefully i'll get some time to finish it tonight.

Offline Eggmarine

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 01:14:27 AM »
Back to work on the engine shed this evening. Firstly i started touching up any areas where i'd trimmed the model with a brown felt tip followed by colouring in the grey card roof and gulley i glued on yesterday, using vertical strokes tp try and simulate natural weathering. Several applications got an approximate match to the existing grey roof panels. While i had my felt tip pens out i spotted in some bits of green and brown near the ends of the gulleys to simulate the inevitable build up of organic matter and resulting mosses and algae you get in these areas.

On to the guttering- the pack of Ratio guttering would only be enough if i used both the narrow and the wide type that comes in the pack. This is only really a problem if either you know about it or you can see both sides of the building and spot the difference, which considering some of the anti- prototypical outrages that will be going about on this layout is probably the least of anyone's worries. The guttering was suitably hacked about and secured with dabs of pound shop superglue which is good stuff once you get used to it. The end troughs were scratched from the sprue that the guttering came on.

Finally a tiny clump of foliage was added in the gulley, no doubt deposited there as a seed by a very tiny bird.

Not sure wether to paint the guttering? The black seems a bit dull and a splash of colour might lift the whole thing.

Final weathering to be done once the model is planted, which may be some time as i'm still laying track.

Offline Eggmarine

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 05:16:25 AM »
I got the bit between my teeth and decided to paint the guttering green and addressed the roof which looked a bit featureless and untidy. Some narrow strips of paper carefully folded and glued in place, then painted grey gives the impression of lead flashing or some other sheet metal weatherproofing. Either way i'm quite pleased and can move on to the next project.

Offline BODIE_37_CI5

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 01:15:31 AM »
Hello Folks,  I am not an N Gauge Modeller but I do have all the instructions I think for these Modelux Railway Model Kits.
I bought three last October.  Yep the company went out of service in December 2019, thanks to some American ordering loads or something.  Not sure why that caused the Owner to chuck in the towel.

Anyway I downloaded all the instructions then and they are all in PDF format
8 in all. Think even the 00gauge ones but should still help those with N Gauge.
I liked them and it is a shame the owner seems to have stopped trading.

(list of Instructions)
Engine Shed Victorian 3 Road  (00Gauge)
Engine Shed Victorian 2 Road  (00Gauge)
Suspension Bridge 500 Span  (not specified)
Acle Footbridge  (N Gauge)
Bersham Headstocks   (not specified)
Butters Bros Gantry Crane  (N Gauge)
Gantry Crane  (N Gauge)
Gedling Headstocks   (N Gauge)

Can we share stuff on here as I dont know?
Can I upload them to somewhere?

Let me know if anyone interested

Regards
M

Offline Eggmarine

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 07:57:06 AM »
Hello Folks,  I am not an N Gauge Modeller but I do have all the instructions I think for these Modelux Railway Model Kits.
I bought three last October.  Yep the company went out of service in December 2019, thanks to some American ordering loads or something.  Not sure why that caused the Owner to chuck in the towel.

Anyway I downloaded all the instructions then and they are all in PDF format
8 in all. Think even the 00gauge ones but should still help those with N Gauge.
I liked them and it is a shame the owner seems to have stopped trading.

(list of Instructions)
Engine Shed Victorian 3 Road  (00Gauge)
Engine Shed Victorian 2 Road  (00Gauge)
Suspension Bridge 500 Span  (not specified)
Acle Footbridge  (N Gauge)
Bersham Headstocks   (not specified)
Butters Bros Gantry Crane  (N Gauge)
Gantry Crane  (N Gauge)
Gedling Headstocks   (N Gauge)

Can we share stuff on here as I dont know?
Can I upload them to somewhere?

Let me know if anyone interested

Regards
M

Hi M it's a good idea to have the instructions available as a resource but it might be worth getting the permission of the owner, as it might breach copyright and annoy the owner/ admins of the forum.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal