!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hawksworth coaches  (Read 16015 times)

Offline dodger

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
Re: Hawksworth coaches
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2016, 08:43:39 AM »

I hadn't realised about the green Hawksworths until I saw one modelled as part of a DMU at the Warley model rail exhibition recently.

But I'll be content with a selection of maroon Hawksworth coaches.

They were all allocated to Reading and as stated in a previous link they were used to make up 4-car class 119 sets.
I'm not sure if they ever ran in 4-car class 117 sets when they were gangwayed. Most of the class 119's left Reading when all of the class 117 & 118 sets were delivered. The Hawksworth coaches were withdraw by 1966 and replaced by class 101 TCL's. I believe one of the Hawksworths may have been used to make up a 3 car GWR railcar set in the 1950's.

Dodger

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2016, 09:07:12 AM »
I believe one of the Hawksworths may have been used to make up a 3 car GWR railcar set in the 1950's.

Various ex-GWR coaches were used as centre coaches for the twin-railcars over the years. But I think the only green one was a Collett C77 open third (as modelled by Dapol) that was used as a centre coach for the Railcar. The set is pictured here between Reading and Newbury.

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »
I really do hope that the Hawksworth coaches become available in BR Lined Maroon, next year. Maybe one of the major retailers will produce a Hawksworth SK in Blue/Grey? Producing a Collett C77 open third (as modelled by Dapol) for use a centre coach for an ex-GWR diesel railcar twin set is probably a job for a skilled modeller. (Respraying is not a problem, for me, but lining would be!)

In Hugh Dady's book 'Heyday of the Warships' (IA), on p.49, there is a photo of the up 'CRE' on 29 May 1967 with a blue & grey Hawksworth SK as the leading coach behind two Green 'Warships'.

The only photo I know of that shows three blue/grey Hawksworth coaches (all SKs) is Plate 32 in "Profile of the Warships". They are in a train entering Exeter St Davids from the West behind D806 'Cambrian'. The date given is 17 August 1968. There are photos of individual blue/grey Hawksworths, including colour ones, behind Westerns, D800 Warships and D600 Warships. Around 1967, one appears to have been the regular Plymouth-Penzance coach added to the front of the 'Cornish Riviera', and running as the leading vehicle in both directions west of Plymouth.

I believe the numbers were W1719W, W2135W and W2283W.

Gangway adaptors on British Standard gangways were fitted to many coaches and remained on the vehicle. Most of the Hawksworth stock running in the 1960s probably had them, including those that survived into blue/grey. There was, therefore, no problem in coupling to Mark I stock.

So far as I can establish, the last withdrawals of Hawksworth passenger stock took place in 1968, including those in blue/grey. They'd been retained to accommodate catering trolleys on the Cornish leg of the journey of through trains, as they wouldn't fit through Mk1 compartment doors.

COLLETT COACHES IN DMU SETS

There were three of these, numbered in the W78xxW series. They were initially painted light DMU green but later at least one was painted dark green (with droplights 'borrowed' from a maroon vehicle!) although it still ran in a light green DMU formation!

They were used to expand the Gloucester 3-car Cross-Country sets (Class 119) used on the fast Paddington-Oxford service to four cars and they provided compartment accommodation which wasn't normal in DMUs.

I seem to recall posting a colour picture on the old RMweb site.
CHRIS LEIGH

W7804W, W7813W and W7254W were the three. They were converted in 1961 and painted dark green. W7804W appeared at Paddington on the first day of the winter 1961-62 timetable marshalled in a Bristol-based Gloucester RW&C Co. (Class 119) Cross-Country set in, of course, almost-but-not-quite-malachite green. The working was 8.15 am Frome - Paddington, 1.18 pm Paddington - Oxford, 3.45 pm Oxford - Paddington and 6.5 pm Paddington - Westbury.

They were converted in 1961 and painted dark green.

At least one was 'light green' - the early DMU green - to match the Gloucester Cross-Country sets, although I also remember seeing a photo. of one in the later 'dark' DMU green, presumably intended to match a repainted DMU in 'dark green' with yellow warning panel. Unfortunately, it appeared in a light green set! It shows up very well in some of Mike Mensing's black & white photos.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2018, 11:55:56 AM »
To bump this thread rather than start a new one, I have this morning taken delivery of some Farish maroon Hawksworths. They are extremely good looking and free running, plus I do prefer the plastic foldover inserts with the tab they are packed in the boxes with.......

The 374-586 Full Brake

The 374-562 Composite Corridor

The 374-537 2nd Corridor

The 374-512 3rd Corridor Brake (I got a couple of these)

The close coupling is wonderful as there seems to be only about 2mm between coaches on straight track. My minimum radius is about 10" and no issues with buffer locking.
Detailing pieces like corridor end panels and pipes etc are taped to the plastic insert.
I rate them as 9/10
Sorry about any shadows in the pics (I did tell Hank Marvin to clear off) but it's a miserable dark wet day oop here so I've had to use artificial light)

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2018, 07:08:35 PM »
I got mine yesterday, but it will be a few days before I get to try them out, but they look exquisite

Regards,

Alex

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2018, 10:01:09 PM »
I ordered my 4 (one of each) on Monday, Alex, so it won't be until next week, at the earliest that I'll have them and be able to photograph them at Cant Cove.

Thanks for the very positive review and photos., Nobby. Looks like they'll be well worth waiting for. I really need to buy some medium length couplings for my other coaches to reduce coupling distances between coaches.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2018, 08:15:24 AM »
I'm considering buying another full brake for use in a dedicated parcels rake as it's ideal for that :hmmm:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2018, 06:09:21 PM »
I'm considering buying another full brake for use in a dedicated parcels rake as it's ideal for that :hmmm:

Do you already have a Hawksworth BG in Crimson & Cream livery for your parcel train, Nobby?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2018, 09:22:30 PM »

Do you already have a Hawksworth BG in Crimson & Cream livery for your parcel train, Nobby?

Not at present, Chris, but it's the Wigan Show this weekend :D ;)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2018, 09:42:26 PM »

I asked because Hattons has the last few at reduced price: 374-585 Graham Farish Hawksworth Full Brake BR Crimson & Cream, 22 BARGAIN List price: 30.95. More than 10 in stock. Martin and I both have one and they look very nice indeed.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2018, 10:14:06 PM »

I asked because Hattons has the last few at reduced price: 374-585 Graham Farish Hawksworth Full Brake BR Crimson & Cream, 22 BARGAIN List price: 30.95. More than 10 in stock. Martin and I both have one and they look very nice indeed.

Yup - I saw that but will see if anyone has one around the 26 mark at the show (i.e. 22 + postage). If not, Hattons will get the call.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2018, 12:19:38 AM »
I got mine while on holiday in Cornwall from Kernow model rail

D1015 Western Champion was waiting for me when I returned  :bounce:

Regards,

Alex

Offline crepello

• N Gauge Society Number: 3956
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2018, 11:00:50 AM »
I got mine while on holiday in Cornwall from Kernow model rail

D1015 Western Champion was waiting for me when I returned  :bounce:

Regards,

Alex

Hi Hailstone,
Nice pic. Is 'Chaampion' a special from Kernow?

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2018, 05:21:22 PM »
Many thanks, Alex, for a very nice photo. My four arrived, today. I can take a photo. of them passing through Cant Cove on a return special working to Trewoon Junction and Pentewan (for Mevagissey) but behind one of my NB Type 2's, D6319.

I'm also intrigued by your very attractive model of D1015 "Western Champion".
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 05:23:00 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline PennineWagons

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2018, 06:30:05 PM »
My four arrived from Hatton's* last week. Lovely looking coaches, but surprisingly not very free-running. It wasn't just one rogue coach, they were all like that. I had them running round the loft behind a tender-drive Black Five and it struggled a bit to get going, although it was OK once it got some speed up. Maybe they'll ease off once they've been run a few more times. Whereas the GWR-liveried ones ran much more freely right from the start. Anyone else had issues with this?
PW

*Other suppliers of expensive Chinese toys are available.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal