!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Parkgate Main Colliery  (Read 12125 times)

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Parkgate Main Colliery
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2018, 12:53:55 AM »
 :read: Good to read you again Luke.

:greatwork:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2018, 07:27:25 AM »
Hi Luke

You've got a bit of rock work to model by the look of things. I suggest you have a go at carving your own rock faces as one or two WS moulds will not go very far in covering what you need.

Before I knew better, I bought myself 6 WS moulds and filled them with Hydrocal. The rocks look beautiful, but I had a great deal of trouble putting them together to construct credible rock faces. I wound up using a plaster like substance called Sculptamold and used it to carve my rock formations. Sculptamold sets more slowly than Hydrocal and is MUCH less messy and is easy to deal with.

Just my opinion.
Webbo

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2018, 07:40:12 AM »
Listen to the man.

I've seen Webbo's rock faces.

Awesome!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2018, 09:55:26 AM »
C'mon, Luke.
2 years is too long. Even Santa visits once a year ;)

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2018, 08:23:11 PM »
Listen to the man.

I've seen Webbo's rock faces.

Carved in stone, is he? :confused2:

Oh, and welcome back.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline tramp

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2018, 11:44:44 PM »
Thanks, yeah the rocks faces are defiantly on my todo list, I tried my new mould But the domestic plaster I used left a number of airbubles in the final piece and as you say, I have a lot of rock to do and itís not a massive mould! YouTube has shown me a few videos using tinfoil to add texture.

So today, Iíve not really done much, me and my son played trains for a bit, we then drilled a few holes for the cables to run from the buildings down to under the base so the buildings can be illuminated, 

Then I looked at the winding house, ideally when itís all finished I want the colliery head gear wheels to turn, one forward one backward, the cabling runs to the winding house where (in a real colliery) the motor lives, in this I was going to struggle to fit the motor in without obscuring the led, so I decided I just wanted the cable to loop in and out of the building.  Because of where the cable runs in and out it was going to be difficult to mount a pulley so I opted to have a guide for the rope. I decided to use a bit of automotive copper brake pipe, I flared both ends that way I could ensure it was lined up with the rope guides cast onto the side of the building

Here was guide before I fitted it

The guide fitted (I just used a hot glue gun to glue it in position)

And with the cable ran through it,

The motor that will turn this cable will be under the base board

Iíve also been thinking about my controller, I have a single dc controller that came with a graham farish set, the problem I have is that when I run my class 20 and any of my other locos (with the single controller powering both loops) the class 20 is much more responsive, to set the Ďotherí loco to a suitable speed the class20 is rocketing around, & if I set the speed right on the class20 the other loco doesnít run. To overcome this I think I need two controllers, I was toying with the idea of making the display battery powered using a 12v battery and radio controlled car speed controllers (PWM controllers) If it was battery powered I wouldnít have to mess about with trailing cables then every time we wanted to play trains & Iíve already got most of the parts,

Thanks for reading
Luke

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:47:14 PM by tramp »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £307.00
Above Goal: £252.00
Site Currency: GBP
558% 
December Donations

Advertise Here