!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Parkgate Main Colliery  (Read 12124 times)

Offline jd

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Re: Parkgate Main Colliery
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 10:01:13 PM »
Looking great. I think both would of worked, but as Chris said the spilt coal is a nice touch. If you have any used charcoal left from your BBQ this year I would crush that up in to a fine dust and put it over the ballast in the wagon sidings to give you that crushed coal and ballast affect.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2014, 05:51:52 AM »
Looking great. I think both would of worked, but as Chris said the spilt coal is a nice touch. If you have any used charcoal left from your BBQ this year I would crush that up in to a fine dust and put it over the ballast in the wagon sidings to give you that crushed coal and ballast affect.

That's a good tip, Jon.

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2014, 06:15:36 AM »
Well, I'm impressed with your ballasting of the points. A very good job. This is going to be a very nice little layout.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline tramp

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2014, 08:45:03 PM »
Thanks, a little more done today, I've been working on creating the tunnel section so I've been testing my joinery skills, I'll be honest it's not the highest standard of workmanship I have ever done, but it is started!

I still need to make another 'lid' section hopefully I'll get on it tomorrow

Online Ditape

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2014, 09:08:45 PM »
Your wood butchery looks OK to me but then again when it comes to carpentry I am all thumbs.
Diane Tape

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2014, 09:17:11 PM »
I think it's great the way you have slotted the coaling plant and shed into that niche :thumbsup:
My only suggestion (if it's not too late) would be to remove the screws one by one and countersink the holes so the screw heads don't stand so proud of the ply.

Offline tramp

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2014, 12:02:15 PM »
No it's not too late I'll go through it and counter sink them, at least the plasticard will sit flat to the surface then,

I had a good oppertunitys to play with test the layout earlier so I took a photo with more rolling stock and my buildings unboxed and placed,

I realised that all though I thought I had plenty of buildings, I could fit more on, I also think I need a ramp of some description to get from the top level to the ground level so plant can access it, doh! I guess I'll be making one when I finish the lid!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:03:30 PM by tramp »

Offline tramp

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2014, 06:00:32 PM »
So I managed to spend a couple of hours on it today, I made the lid section (I'm keeping it removable incase I have derailments inside the tunnel area!) and I made up a ramp section. Although now I've made it, I don't know if I like it or not,

Thoughts?

Thanks
Luke
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:02:26 PM by tramp »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2014, 06:07:07 PM »
Great job and I like it a lot .Good idea to leave the roof section loose.
What is going to be on the roof section by the way  and what will be travelling up that ramp ?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »
Have to admit the ramp for the access road looks like a 'tack on' but maybe when it's been covered with suitable plasticard it will blend in better :hmmm:

Offline tramp

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2014, 09:38:08 PM »
Great job and I like it a lot .Good idea to leave the roof section loose.
What is going to be on the roof section by the way  and what will be travelling up that ramp ?

On the lid section I'll have the head gear, the winding house and the fan ventilation building, I'd like to power the headgear and have the wheels turning but the cable that came with building is quite stiff and I have no way of joining it (without making it too stiff to run through the wheel) but we will see! I can sort that later,

The ramp is supposed to be road access from the 'workshop' area in the centre to the pit heads and site entrance at the top.

Have to admit the ramp for the access road looks like a 'tack on' but maybe when it's been covered with suitable plasticard it will blend in better :hmmm:

Yeah that's exactly how I feel about it at the moment, it just feels tacked on like the after thought it is! I don't know if I raise the whole centre area up at the back with a retaining wall against the line, then bring it to track level at the front with gentle relief and niches for each building on the way down, hopefully it would cover at least 1/2 the ramp and maybe give some depth to the layout?

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2014, 07:39:50 AM »

The ramp is supposed to be road access from the 'workshop' area in the centre to the pit heads and site entrance at the top.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel about it at the moment, it just feels tacked on like the after thought it is! I don't know if I raise the whole centre area up at the back with a retaining wall against the line, then bring it to track level at the front with gentle relief and niches for each building on the way down, hopefully it would cover at least 1/2 the ramp and maybe give some depth to the layout?

I agree that raising the whole centre area up at the back with a retaining wall against the line, then bringing it to track level at the front with gentle relief and niches for each building on the way down, would look better and give some depth to the layout. I would also try to reduce the steepness of the ramp by making it longer, maybe curving it round at the bottom? This would 'frame' the colliery area better and help hide the fact that the track curves around 180 degrees.

Offline tramp

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2014, 08:34:32 PM »
So I've not done much for a while, but I was feeling inspired today so here's my first illuminated building

My wiring, not overly neat but it works, it's x4 smd/SMT LED's in parrellel with a 56k dropper resistor, I plan to power it with 9v

And illuminated

There's a bit of light bleed through the walls, but I'm pretty happy,

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2014, 08:36:33 PM »
Very nice work.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2014, 10:43:28 PM »
I've just come across this thread. A great idea and layout. I like the express coal delivery trains! If I could make a couple of suggestions. Paint the inside of the lighted buildings a dark colour to prevent the light coming through. The ramp to the top level is too steep. How about putting a 180 bend in it to frame better the loading facilities. It could be a gentle curve rather than a tight bend. Why not put holes in the upright sections of the tunnel so that the emergency 0-5-0 can extract any accidents. If you are going to build possibly delicate structures on the top level it might be safer for them to be more permanently fixed.
I like the loader partially hidden. I think it gives more depth and interest.  :greatpicturessign: :claphappy:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £287.00
Above Goal: £232.00
Site Currency: GBP
522% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything