!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Parkgate Main Colliery  (Read 12123 times)

Offline tramp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Parkgate Main Colliery
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 08:31:43 PM »
A little more done, it's great that I can drop on and do an hour here and an hour there, I have most of my track pinned down now....

And something exciting arrived through the post!

Insulfrog points? No problem!

Offline tramp

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 11:35:52 PM »
A little more done, all tracks pinned down and I've started on the wiring....

The outside loops permenant supply is all tied in now, I need to wire in the inside loops permenant supply and sort out all the isolating track sections,

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:39:55 PM by tramp »

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »
Just a point of information, instead of running long(ish) lengths of thin dropper wire, why not run a bus of thicker wires and join the droppers at intervals, so keeping their lengths shorter. I used the blue & brown stripped from some mains flex.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 03:41:49 PM »
Yes, I used the inner wires from a hefty ringmain cable that I stripped out, then trimmed the outer plastic off those wires every so often so that I could solder the droppers to them.

Offline tramp

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 10:29:24 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, maybe next time I'll do it your way as it seems simpler! I decided to continue doing this the way I started as everything was ready to go!

I got a little further with it today, both loops are now tied in to the terminal blocks

next job....... Test run :D

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 12:21:42 PM »
Nice job - never seen that type of terminal block before :thumbsup:

Offline tramp

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »
Nice job - never seen that type of terminal block before :thumbsup:

Thanks, they are double stack terminals perfect for positive & negative!

I wired my loops into a power source today and had some movement on the track, the good news is that it works, the bad news is I found a few sections of track that need attention,  the crossover especially,

http://youtu.be/EhHoKSplksY

Offline scottishlocos

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 10:04:56 PM »
Hi

This is looking really good so far. I like the class 20 and if it's any help I remember seeing a pic of a Class 20 with a short rake of HEA hoppers from one of the Ayrshire loading points I think there was only nine or ten wagons.
This may have been coal for export to Ireland or a trip working to Falkland yard where  hoppers would be made to a longer train for onward shipment

Regards

Dave

Offline tramp

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 10:26:24 PM »
Hi

This is looking really good so far. I like the class 20 and if it's any help I remember seeing a pic of a Class 20 with a short rake of HEA hoppers from one of the Ayrshire loading points I think there was only nine or ten wagons.
This may have been coal for export to Ireland or a trip working to Falkland yard where  hoppers would be made to a longer train for onward shipment

Regards

Dave

Thanks, I've seen a few photos of class 20's single heading rakes of wagons, i know it was uncommon but really my layout is too small to double head! I was considering getting some MGR wagons as the more I look, the more I realise my mineral wagons are out if place (especially the GW ones!) maybe when i get better at weathering I'll be able to remove the GW lettering to tie it in better. Back to class 20's..... I've just ordered a book on class 20's hopefully it will have some inspiring photographs,

And for my layout, today I repaired my partly inserted fish plate on the outer circle curve, I also repaired my crossover section it looks like when I soldered the rail sections together I managed to melt the platic retainers on the sleeper and it had lifted, so I managed to heat the offending track section with my soldering iron and apply some weight to level it, I put a bit if glue on to and now it's as good as new  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:15:24 PM by tramp »

Offline scottishlocos

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »
Hi

You are modelling an interesting period at this time there would still have been BR 16 ton mineral wagons these would start being replaced with the air braked hoppers.
Class 20 running single seems to have been more common here in Scotland which region are you modelling?

Regards

Dave

Offline tramp

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 08:38:01 PM »
I'm attempting to model the midlands (South Yorkshire) around the 1970's, At the moment I live near Silverwood collieries ex spoil heap so I'm trying to base it on pictures of local pits, although I'm not modelling any specific site or set date, so nothing has to be perfect - thankfully!

Offline scottishlocos

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »
Tramp

I am sure class 20s were used in that area on mgr and trip coal and steel workings. I am sure there were a few sites round that area where different grades of coal was blended and or made into coke this would suit your layout as trains can run in and out of these plants loaded. I think Orgreave was one if you can find pics of it.
There was an n gauge set with a class 14 and some mineral wagons in it if you can get one it would give you a suitable shutter and 16 ton wagons as well as a loop of track and a controller

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 07:26:08 AM »
Single Class 20s on short trains of mineral wagons were seen around the Toton area, although uncommon.

Offline tramp

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 10:06:18 PM »
So, a little slow as of late, but I've made a start on the ballasting, I've never ballasted before and I've hit the easy bits first, I'm not looking forward to ballasting the points!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 02:09:04 AM »
Well, you've made a great start to ballasting, buddy... very neat job! Flangeways all clear?

And yes, points are a pain, but we have a number of how-tos and things to be cautious of here on the forum. Use the search function!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £287.00
Above Goal: £232.00
Site Currency: GBP
522% 
December Donations

Advertise Here