!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New coupler development (was Coupling survey)  (Read 32759 times)

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: New coupler development (was Coupling survey)
« Reply #285 on: October 17, 2018, 02:56:46 PM »
Any news?
I dearly would like to start fitting my stock with these couplings.
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Online belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #286 on: March 09, 2019, 10:53:11 PM »
It's been a long time since I posted any updates on this project.  Various other things got in the way, but I have just made up a batch of couplers to convert the last few wagons not already fitted with them, and I had forgotten just how easy they are to assemble. I need to revise the instructions in one or two places, and then I will be looking for three or four volunteers prepared to construct eight pairs each following the instructions and let me know how you get on.

Richard

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #287 on: March 10, 2019, 08:27:37 AM »
If you are short of volunteers (unlikely  I know) you can add me to your list.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #288 on: March 10, 2019, 01:06:21 PM »
I will gladly help with the tests
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #289 on: March 10, 2019, 01:09:26 PM »
Richard

I was about to go the DG route, would love to give these a test before I do

Online belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #290 on: March 10, 2019, 06:14:39 PM »
OK, I now have three volunteers plus another who contacted me via private message.  PM me your addresses and I will put together some kits for you in the next week or so.  Feel free to post up your experiences on here, good or bad.

Richard

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #291 on: March 11, 2019, 01:21:04 PM »
Am I late to the volunteering party? :D

Online belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #292 on: March 12, 2019, 01:50:17 PM »
Am I late to the volunteering party? :D

I seem to recall you volunteered some time ago, so I can't really say no.  PM me your address.

I have attached draft instructions to this post as a PDF.  Printed instructions will be sent out to all the guinea pigs volunteers, but if anyone has suggestions for how to make the instructions better I will be most grateful.

Richard

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #293 on: March 13, 2019, 02:13:55 PM »
I'm ordering tools/supplies I currently don't have ready for testing. Are you planning to sent out starter kits or do I need to order brass rod for loop bending separately?

In your PDF you recommend Birchwood Casey Aluminium Black for chemical blackening. Is that right, the aluminium variant rather than the steel one?

Cheers
Dave

Online belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #294 on: March 13, 2019, 08:34:53 PM »
I'm ordering tools/supplies I currently don't have ready for testing. Are you planning to sent out starter kits or do I need to order brass rod for loop bending separately?

In your PDF you recommend Birchwood Casey Aluminium Black for chemical blackening. Is that right, the aluminium variant rather than the steel one?

Cheers
Dave

I will be sending out starter kits including loop bending tube, just waiting for some more plastic rod to turn up and I can post stuff out.  According to the P4 boys, the aluminium black is perfect for nickel silver.  It certainly works well for me.

I have had an idea for a simple way to fit couplers to short wheelbase wagons, will try this out in the next couple of days and if it works I will incorporate it into the instructions.  The couplers take far longer to fit than to make at the moment which gets tedious when you have thirty wagons to convert.

Richard

Online belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #295 on: March 14, 2019, 10:31:20 PM »
It occurred to me that manufacturers tend to use the same chassis design across many different wagons, so I had the idea of attaching the couplers via a subframe which mounts under the main chassis.  Once you have got the length and height correct for one wagon, you can then very quickly convert every other wagon with the same chassis design.

The subframe: a 6mm wide strip of 10 thou black Plastikard. The scribed lines are to help position the couplers centrally.  I glued a coupler to one end, positioned the subframe so that the overhang beyond the buffers was correct, noted the overhang between the end of the subframe and the face of the bufferbeam, cut the subframe to length to give an equal overhang both ends, then attached the other coupler.  You only need to do this for the first wagon: once you have established the correct length for the subframe, it will be the same for every other wagon with that chassis design. 

The subframe needs a flat level surface.  On this vehicle (a Farish cattle van) I had to remove the vacuum cylinder and brake crossbar, as well as carving off two small moulded lugs behind the coupler pockets.  The brake details can be refitted once the subframe is in place.  I secured the subframe with a lump of Blutak and checked the coupler heights: in this case they were spot on, but if they sit a little high a thin Plastikard strip can be sandwiched between the subframe and chassis.  Once I was happy with the height the subframe was glued to the chassis: small screws could be used instead.

The end result: three cattle vans fitted with couplers in little more than the time it would normally take me to do one.  All couplers the same height and length, I could do another twenty and they would all come out exactly the same.  I wish I'd thought of this earlier.

Richard

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here