!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Question about new, soon-to-arrive batch Farish class 40  (Read 219 times)

Offline Ricky B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26895
    • Awards
Question about new, soon-to-arrive batch Farish class 40
« on: July 29, 2020, 11:02:41 AM »
I'm ready to buy one of the latest batch of 40s- missed them last time around. I was about to pre-order one of the sound chipped examples -either the green livery disc front "D248" or "40012" in blue are the two under consideration. But I've just realised that unlike the first batch, only "D248" seems to be offered in the 'sound equipped decoder' fitted version. 40012 and the split box example are "DCC ready" only. Given that all the ones in the first batch were offered 'with or without sound', may I ask, does anyone know the position on this batch? Is all-over-green D248 the only one to be offered with sound? If I buy 40012 as I'd planned, will I have to source the sound decoder - or are the sound fitted "40012s" a short wait away? Anyone definitively know? Thanks.

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
Re: Question about new, soon-to-arrive batch Farish class 40
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 12:39:10 PM »
Bachmann's website lists the following all due this month:
371-180A   Class 40 Disc Headcode D248 BR Green (Late Crest)
371-180ASF   Class 40 Disc Headcode D248 BR Green (Late Crest)
371-184   Class 40 Disc Headcode 40012
371-185   Class 40 Split Headcode D338 BR Green (Small Yellow Panels)

Only 371-180ASF is marked up as being Factory fitted with DCC sound.

Of the first batch, only the BR blue one was released with Factory fitted Sound. Any sound fitted green ones from the first batch were either retro-fitted by their owners or had a chassis swap with the sound fitted blue one.

My guess is that the non-sound fitted models in the latest release will have space for a speaker which you'll need to source yourself along with a suitable decoder.

Steven B.

Online Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 12:49:51 PM »
All new class 40s in the last batch were fitted with a speaker. All you have to do is install a next18 sound decoder. I haven't seen anything to indicate that the next batch will be different.

As indicated, there was only one of the last batch that actually came with a factory fitted sound decoder.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 01:08:53 PM »
All new class 40s in the last batch were fitted with a speaker. All you have to do is install a next18 sound decoder. I haven't seen anything to indicate that the next batch will be different.

As indicated, there was only one of the last batch that actually came with a factory fitted sound decoder.

That was my understanding, too

Offline Ricky B

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 06:22:53 PM »
Thanks gents. My memory must have be playing tricks - it was a genuine surprise that not all locos in the first batch were available 'sound fitted'. It's good to be reminded that the 'non sound chip fitted' examples do, as I thought, have the speaker pre-installed. Reassuring and I feel happier to know that it's just the sound decoder (whichever that may be)-  that would need adding.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 07:50:12 PM »

That was my understanding, too

I bought both green 40s from the initial batch and can confirm both came with a speaker fitted. The hardest part of the sound fits was getting the loco body off, that aside it was an absolute doddle!

Roy

Offline Ricky B

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 10:21:47 PM »
Good stuff Roy!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00