!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

What do you think of this model?

Superb
6 (16.2%)
Good
9 (24.3%)
OK
16 (43.2%)
Poor
4 (10.8%)
Terrible
2 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Graham Farish - Class 08's - From 1990's  (Read 9047 times)

Offline CF-FZG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24230
    • Awards
Re: Graham Farish - Class 08's - From 1990's
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 10:14:03 AM »
Thanks Alan,

I'll get some oil before I start taking things apart :thumbsup:

:thankyousign:
Mark.

Tonka toys, big boys toys.

Offline bees

• N Gauge Society Number: 28138
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
Unfortunately, the only service sheet I can find is for the new BachFar version - so, does anyone know where I can find a service sheet for mine.

There are no service sheets for old Farish. It's relatively simple to get the body off (the two screws at one end that flank the main chassis block). This reveal the motor.

If oiling do not get oil on the motor commutator, and it's worth cleaning this and removing any brush carbon from the pole gaps. Lightly lubbricate the gears and axle slots in the chassis block (Mager oil from N-Brass locos is very good for these mechanisms, or Daywat from BR lines which is the same).

HTH,
Alan

Dr Al
Call me MR Thicko if you want, but how do you clean carbon residue from the Pole Gaps and how do you clean the commentator?
Thanks in advance
Steven - Bees
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 11:34:58 AM »
The comm is the part that the bushes run against and will be copper or silver in colour.

Various different ways to clean it, but the main key is to get any previous oil that might have got onto it off (so so common on secondhand Farish, and causes no end of problems). The comm should never have any form of lubricant on it.

For the slots, I use a tip of a scalpel blade to clean out brush carbon that will build up in them (which allows current to flow right round the comm and never get to the coils, hence increasing motor heating).

I've got pictures somewhere of one of the worst I've ever seen before and after, will need to dig them out at some point.

On very old 08s it can also be beneficial to swap the magnet for a new one - the silver magnets seem to lose their strength quite a lot which can lead to slow running, high current consumption and high motor heating.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline beestie

• a 20 year old modeller and a BMW 3 series lover
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 10:41:02 PM »
sorry to drag this from the deep , but the chassis under the 08 is it the same as the j94 ?
James Beeston(aka mrjamestrain)

Offline Griffo

• N Gauge Society Number: 18343
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 12:51:16 AM »
sorry to drag this from the deep , but the chassis under the 08 is it the same as the j94 ?

Yep! :beers:

ParkeNd

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 01:06:23 AM »
I have one of these in green bought recently from Hattons as one of their bargains so I would guess it is one of the original designs.

My preference is proving to be for locos that run well irrespective of the detail, rather than rivet perfect models that sound coarse when they can finally be persuaded to run at all.

Mine reminds me of the Dean Forest Railways 08 "Gladys" also in green. Pushing new Grampus wagon with ballast it looks and goes a treat. Great purchase. I know that for nearly twice as much I could have had the new retooled version with professionally applied gunge and muck but I wanted a shiny green one like Gladys.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:07:56 AM by ParkeNd »

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 10:08:34 AM »
if its got outside frames its the retooled version. If its on a steam loco chassis with all parts of each wheel visible its the old.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

ParkeNd

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 10:21:44 AM »
if its got outside frames its the retooled version. If its on a steam loco chassis with all parts of each wheel visible its the old.

Thanks. I'll have a closer look.

Offline sjgarth

• N Gauge Society Number: 28391
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 10:37:49 PM »
Sorry to resurrect an old post, however I recently purchased one of these old Class 08 graham farish diesels for a song, non-runner.
It won't run on the track (as expected), but I did notice a slight movement in the motor, so decided to look further.
I have taken top chassis off and took wheels off and found that the motor runs like a dream. The connecting cog between motor drive worm moves smoothly and connects to motor drive worm well.
Wheels look okay and turn in their motor body recesses easily. When motor drive is held out of the way the wheel cog and connecting cog move together easily.
The problem seems to be the plastic base strip which holds the pickups and is to be screwed onto motor housing.
Whenever I connect that back into place the engine becomes a non-runner, motor gets hot though, so I assume power is getting through. i am assuming that their is some resistance/friction somewhere. Obviously I can't turn the wheels as they are now connected to the motor.
I can't see anything rubbing the wheels except the pickups and where the plastic base sits on the wheel axle recess.
Before I look to replace the base plate and the pickups, any ideas from our esteemed members?
Yours

Steve

Offline Foster

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 02:52:57 AM »
 Just to raise an old observation about Farish loco's,  you need to check the gears. Among my crowd, we have a saying that GF stands for gear failure.
I bought a brand new Cl 37, and had it stored after testing. When the layout was ready I found the diesel was running and jerking, then stopped dead. Problem : the one gear had split.
In the end I used a decent mechanism, and scrapped the (new) GF mechanism.  :thumbsdown:

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 08:51:25 AM »
In the end I used a decent mechanism, and scrapped the (new) GF mechanism.  :thumbsdown:

That's madness. The gears cost £1 and can be changed trivially - scrapping an entire chassis for that is a costly waste.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Foster

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 09:56:52 AM »
 It is almost impossible for us in South Africa to get replacement parts. The only place that I have had some   success with is Bob Russell (BR Lines)  ???

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 10:06:05 AM »
It is almost impossible for us in South Africa to get replacement parts. The only place that I have had some   success with is Bob Russell (BR Lines)  ???

Yes - BR lines have the gears...

cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal