!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: National Railway Museum York 2014  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Geoff

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
National Railway Museum York 2014
« on: May 29, 2014, 09:34:35 PM »

Today my wife gave me a birthday treat, by going to the National Railway Museum in York, and all I can say is wow what a day and we could not see it all in the time we had so we are going to plan a Weekend to go back later this year, I have uploaded all the pictures on to my Flickr account and you are free to browse the photo's and if you want to copy any that is fine be my guest.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/meogeo/sets/72157644955550033/

First of all we went on to the station with all the royal trains and carriages, then on to see Mallard and other fantastic loco's never have I been so awe struck, the engineering gone into making these great locomotives by our for-fathers is fantastic then we went into the Warehouse well I can tell you the stuff that is in there will take your breath away, I cannot thank enough the volunteers who have put this fantastic collection together to be shown to the general public, there were places we never got round to seeing like the workshop and the outside plus we missed some of the loco's in the great hall, every exhibit I checked out just gave me so much joy, this Museum is free and I tell you if you have not been just drop every thing and get yourselves there you will not be disappointed. 

Enjoy the Photo's.
Geoff

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: National Railway Museum York 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:58:49 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Lots of great photos. Love the one about the chef, the potato and the signalman!

No idea they had a Japanese bullet train at York.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Online Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:15:10 PM »
Some very nice photos. Thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline Steve.T

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23237
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 10:15:39 PM »
I live so close and haven't been for years.
All those great photos have inspired me to ensure I go again this year.

Thanks for the inspiration  :beers:

Steve
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

Offline kesdrive

• N Gauge Society Number: 18840
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 10:53:55 PM »
Excellent quality photos Geoff.   :greatpicturessign:
Last went 3 years ago. What a wonderful asset the NRM is. If you haven't made a visit yet please put it on your to do list.
But be warned a weekend is advisable as there is so much to see. Even then you will probably want to go again. :thankyousign:
Chris

Offline dch05

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 04:40:58 AM »
 :greatpicturessign:  Amazing delights for far-away New Zealander!  Will I ever get there? Wonderful quality pics and thanks too for the other albums of treasures.  Surprised there are not crowds of tourists blocking the view - I know I would not want to go home for a week.  York must be full of residents exhausted from endlessly admiring all the sights in its vicinity, not just those in the Railway Museum!   :thankyousign:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 05:19:53 AM »
Great pics, Geoff :thumbsup:
I've always enjoyed myself at the NRM, despite the GBH that had been done to the Bulleid pacific :'(

Offline bridgiesimon

• N Gauge Society Number: 12318
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 07:18:26 AM »
I can also recommend the food at the NRM, they do a very good meal and reasonable cost.

We visited at Easter and had a most enjoyable day, walked in on opening and left 7+ hours later, even got to see Union of South Africa in steam outside the museum as well while we were there!

Best wishes
Simon

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 07:36:07 AM »
Thanks for sharing the photos.
Glad you had a great day.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 07:53:45 AM »
Some great pictures Geoff, thanks for sharing. Glad you enjoyed your birthday treat.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Stuart7358

• N Gauge Society Number: 22431
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 07:58:20 AM »
I was at the Museum in the autumn but it was so packed it was difficult to get photos so thanks for allowing us all to share yours and letting me see a few things the crowds stopped me from admiring at the time. 

Much appreciated.

Stuart

Offline MikeDunn

• N Gauge Society Number: 21391
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 09:26:24 AM »
Well, I'm not sure about there being enough there for an entire week-end, but every one is different in their desires :) 

You missed out mentioning the Archives - if there are items you'd really want to see (documents, photos, sometimes actual material items) as long as you tell them the code details (you can browse the index) and give them some time, they'll get it set out for you.  I did some of this last time I was there, and was amazed at the stuff they have in the Archives - next time I'll be getting more out :)

Someone mentioned the food there - I have to disagree, sadly.  The group I was in last time I was there got various bits from them - and a number of 'fresh' items were too fresh - they weren't cooked properly and were still rather raw  :sick: !  So my advice is to avoid anything they cook to order ...

Crowds can be an issue - at the GG event, it was sardine-room only !  Unbelievable how many people were there - and we went on a 'quiet' day too !  But normally, there aren't crowds as such.

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 10:21:09 AM »
Well I went up to the archives and they could not find out any information I was after for a North Eastern Station but they did give me some contact phone numbers to call so will try from that, if you look on the National Railway museum you can see what is there, the food was adequate at the NRM and we went for a meal when we got home, yes I need a weekend to see it all and take it all in, I probably need to see things close up to take things in.

Just a question for anyone in the know, In picture number MEO_1458 this is a picture of the cab in the Mallard, there are some marking's going from 1500 to 5000 are these the gallons of water that are in the tender?

Cheers
Geoff

Offline jivebunny

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »
Just a question for anyone in the know, In picture number MEO_1458 this is a picture of the cab in the Mallard, there are some marking's going from 1500 to 5000 are these the gallons of water that are in the tender?

Hi Geoff,

That's correct, it's a 5,000-gallon tender. Some cracking photos you've taken, haven't been in a couple of years and it's making me wish I lived a little bit closer to York!

Glad you enjoyed the visit; it's difficult not to, really!

Cheers,

JB

Offline MikeDunn

• N Gauge Society Number: 21391
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 07:58:54 PM »
Well I went up to the archives and they could not find out any information I was after for a North Eastern Station
Ah ... The thing with the Archives is - you need to know what you're asking ...  If you just turn up on the day, they'll help you as much as they can but it will probably not give you answers you want.

The best thing to do is your own initial research via the web portal to identify likely documentation, then give them that information & the date you will be there (preferably not "I'll pop in tomorrow" either !!!  At least 3 days, if not a week) & they'll get the documentation located & ready for you ...  If you don't know how to check, you can always ask for a volunteer to do the initial research on your behalf (they like a donation if you do this).

They do have some always available, but this is a small amount compared to the scope of the Archives.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything