!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol - Class 121  (Read 37585 times)

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
Re: Dapol - Class 121
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2011, 02:50:16 PM »
From 1st January 1976, I believe, so 1974-5 you should have 'proper' headcodes to suit your train.

Great - thanks very much. :thumbsup:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline poliss

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2011, 03:56:30 PM »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2011, 06:29:44 PM »
My green 121 arrived yesterday from Rails (thanks to some birthday vouchers). I lubricated it and put it on my test track, and couldn't believe how 'lumpy' it was.
However, after running it in for 15 minutes each way, turning it round and repeating the exercise (total 1 hour), I have a 121 that runs beautifully even at slow speed on what, truth to tell, is not the cleanest of track. Congratulations Dapol on a fine looking, great running piece of N gauge :Dapol:

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2011, 06:39:44 PM »
My green 121 arrived yesterday from Rails (thanks to some birthday vouchers). I lubricated it and put it on my test track, and couldn't believe how 'lumpy' it was.
However, after running it in for 15 minutes each way, turning it round and repeating the exercise (total 1 hour), I have a 121 that runs beautifully even at slow speed on what, truth to tell, is not the cleanest of track. Congratulations Dapol on a fine looking, great running piece of N gauge :Dapol:
Good to hear ! I'm planning on getting a blue/grey one when they release it, although i've had trouble with dapol in the past (73's and the 45xx's), every single DMU has been great (1x 153 and 2x 156) and i've been praying that 121 is the same !
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline porkie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20857
    • My Layout build so far.
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2011, 07:29:24 PM »
My NSE version arrived today.
I love the paint job. Reminds me of the bedford to bletchey one....
All i want know is a silverlink version to be released 8)
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1985 - 2000
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

Offline Avis1434

• N Gauge Society Number: 20007
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2011, 07:30:17 PM »
Hi Mustermark.

I note your sad comments re possible missing headcodes. :-\

I have just received a non powered 121 (green) No ND119B and would be happy to send one set of two pairs of codes to you if they are suitable.

Send me a personal note to discuss your needs further. Can't bear to hear your sobbing every time I come on to the forum :smiley-laughing:

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2011, 03:53:38 PM »
I recently bought two of these. One is a very quiet smooth runner, the other runs ok but is very growly. Both are oiled and run in. The details are excellent. I also have the dummy version.

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2011, 03:57:38 PM »
I recently bought two of these. One is a very quiet smooth runner, the other runs ok but is very growly. Both are oiled and run in. The details are excellent. I also have the dummy version.
mmm... that growly one might get lost one day and find it's way to Bristol.... :smiley-laughing:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Ollie3440

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18238
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • The Fiddle Yard
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2011, 04:02:27 PM »
I managed to get hold of the Dummy with Whiskers that i was after and what a lovely model it is. Will look the part trailing my Green 108 :D

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2011, 04:14:11 PM »
mmm... that growly one might get lost one day and find it's way to Bristol.... :smiley-laughing:

It may find its way to Ebay.

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2011, 04:15:07 PM »
I managed to get hold of the Dummy with Whiskers that i was after and what a lovely model it is. Will look the part trailing my Green 108 :D

Ollie

The dummy ones are fantastic.

Offline Pete Mc

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2011, 01:05:35 AM »
I bought a BR Blue one off Digitrains at Wigan yesterday and have to report that it is a fine looking model indeed.When I got home I left it a couple of hours to get up to the ambient room temperature because it had to endure nearly two hours in a cold car boot and a short walk home.After thos I oiled it and set it running.I did notice it was a bit growly even after oiling but left it for a good 40 minutes and turned it round and did the same 40 minutes with it turned round.It still sounded a little growly at this point so what I did next was swap the bogies round,I now have a fairly quiet,for a Dapol model anyway,bubblecar that runs very well at both slow and fast speeds.
It does have one tiny fault,and this could be down to the two sections on my layout that have radius 1 setrack bends,this being that the model does seem to drag slightly on these turns.
As I run in all my new stock on this track,the track in the opposite direction is no tighter than radius 2,I will put on on this track.
I did notice also that the headcode lights don't work above the cab windows,head and tail lights work fine but the headcode boxes don't so I had to look inside it to see what was wrong.After taking the roof off,I noticed there are no wires or bulbs in the roof so obviously there are none,silly me.
I also noticed that one aspect that I really like about this model over the Farish 101 and 108 is the head and tail lights have an opaqueness to them which makes the lights of the 121 more prototypically correct.
Now I'm the first to admit I love the job that Farish have done on both dmu's,but I do like the lights on this one.This is just my observation of what is a very,very nice little dmu.
Well done Dapol.
Pete :thumbsup:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2011, 11:52:11 AM »
Mine was returned to Dapol who are sending me a replacement - Very pleased with the result there.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2011, 12:14:43 PM »
Interestingly, I ask one of the exhibitors at the Wigan show what he thought of his green 121 with speed whiskers, and he confessed to only getting it that morning, not lubricating it but sticking it straight on his layout. Even without lubrication, the slow running was excellent.

Please don't try this at home - it invalidates the guarantee

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »
You grass!   :smiley-laughing:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00