!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

What do you think of this model?

Superb
6 (16.2%)
Good
9 (24.3%)
OK
16 (43.2%)
Poor
4 (10.8%)
Terrible
2 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Graham Farish - Class 08's - From 1990's  (Read 9124 times)

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
Graham Farish - Class 08's - From 1990's
« on: January 22, 2011, 08:18:45 PM »
 :NGaugeForum:

Offline bees

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28138
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Graham Farish - Class 08's - From 1990's
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 02:24:08 PM »
These are cracking little loco's that can generally be picked up for as little as £20

They can haul quite a few wagons, or coaches, an don't look too bad either.  The only issues in my opinion are the lack of glazing(which can be solved yourself) and the horizontal handrail towards the top of the bodyside is far too thick.  I paid £17 for the Railfreight one :thumbsup:!
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 04:35:17 PM »
Although showing their age these little loco's are stalwarts of the N Gauge British scene and have proved their reliability time and again on many a layout despite the lack of modern features like lighting and model glazing.
For the new starters into N  these 08 shunters are an excellent investment, and if looked after will bring a lifetime of enjoyment for a very low financial outlay (circa £20 second hand)

The liveries produced in the near 30 years of this models production are wide and varied, featuring modern EWS and freightliner colours right back to BR Black and Green. This model is a must for any N Gauger due to their size, ease of use and maintenance and their longevity like the real life beast proves how popular this model is.

The model has been updated and remodelled by Grafar Bach into a new version altogether (reviewed elsewhere in this section) however this model has a longlife yet on the N British scene.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline poliss

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 04:51:29 PM »
I can forgive a lot of things, but inside frames when it should have outside frames??

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 07:10:30 PM »
I can forgive a lot of things, but inside frames when it should have outside frames??

Agree with you Poliss on the outside frame locos the detail is far better on the handrails /etc worth paying the extra    :thumbsup:

Although the  older type  body  being  heavier is better for  running i  think.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:18:43 PM by upnick »

Offline Anthony Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18392
    • Facebook
    • My website
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 11:14:20 PM »
I paid £17 for the Railfreight one :thumbsup:!
Is that my blue 08??? (Which I nearly paid Six n a half grand for ... an eBay error I assure you ;) )

« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:16:25 PM by DATAjammer »

Offline bees

• N Gauge Society Number: 28138
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 09:12:01 PM »
I paid £17 for the Railfreight one :thumbsup:!
Is that my blue 08??? (Which I nearly paid Six n a half grand for ... an eBay error I assure you ;) )

Yes LLOYDY, the blue one is yours, LMFAO :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:
but the other is my repaint!!!
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Offline tim-pelican

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22330
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 01:47:58 PM »
Hopefully a simple question for someone who already owns one - is this convertible to DCC with the digihat like the current 08?  Otherwise convertible?  Or "experienced modellers only"?

I'm tempted by the green one for sale a couple of topics over... an old / second-hand one is slightly less scary to learn to attach a decoder to than dismantling something I've just paid full whack for.

Thanks,
Tim.

Offline Jonny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21937
  • Hartley and Dale End. wartime LNER
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 02:16:06 PM »
Very easy to fit a Z2 decoder in with plenty of room and yes just pop in a digi hat solder up wires and bingo take about 20 min from start to finish

Jon
Live each day as if it's your last

As one day you may be right.

Carlisle to Silloth. 1854-1964
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_and_Silloth_Bay_Railway

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 04:17:07 PM »
Digihat, small decoder, much fiddling and it'll probably run like crap anyway.

It's a bit like fitting DCC to old Lima models - you can do it but its basically turd polishing.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Jonny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21937
  • Hartley and Dale End. wartime LNER
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »
I disagree there with that comment
I did this with Dads 08
Fitted a digi hat and Z2 decoder in twenty mins
Put loco on test track programmed in and is now a very nice slow running/shunting engine which it couldn't do before ( using conventional dc controller not pwm)

Live each day as if it's your last

As one day you may be right.

Carlisle to Silloth. 1854-1964
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_and_Silloth_Bay_Railway

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 06:41:20 PM »
Have to agree with Jonny, bought one of eBay 6 months ago, fitted a digihat and Digitrax DZ125 decoder and it runs really well, down to a very, very slow crawl when needed.

The only thing it doesn't like is the Peco code 55 double slip in the through station area, but that's not a problem as it does most of its duties shunting in the terminus station.

Caz

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 09:42:34 PM »
Converted  around a  dozen  of the older type of 08's with the  inside frames  without any problems with the easy option of the digihat  &   Gerry Spencer  bottom  converting  brush holder.

The only  issues to watch for are the contacts are toucihng the back of the wheels firmly &  the wheels themselves  are clean both contacts &  wheels can  be  contaminated with ingression  of  excess  oil   a  couple  i did  where  stripped down completley to  have all  the oil   removed before reassembly &  conversion,  a very  getnle  wipe with a fibre  glass pencil  on the commutator ( just enough to brighten the commutator) will  freshen  it up   if you go the whole hog &  fit new brushes  then it will   have had a good service.

If your neat with a  decoder &  iron  the TCS M1  decoder will  fit in the cab i  even  fitted  interior lighting to  a few cabs, as i  mentioned above the metal  body of the older model provides better weight for traction &  contact with the rails so  with the older models.

All  the above work  i   describe above isnt   essential on most models the older type convert excellently.   

For a  modern   class  08  in N gauge if it had the  modern  body  detail  with glazing but  made in metal,  complete with  outside frames &  fitted with a  board to take a  6 pin  decoder making it easier to convert ...........  now that would be an ideal loco.  ;D

Offline CF-FZG

• N Gauge Society Number: 24230
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 08:15:44 PM »
I've recently become the proud owner of one of these GraFar 08s (via evilbay) and as it's my only loco at present I'd like to give it a clean and wotnot.

Unfortunately, the only service sheet I can find is for the new BachFar version - so, does anyone know where I can find a service sheet for mine.

Mark.

Tonka toys, big boys toys.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+54)
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 09:46:25 AM »
Unfortunately, the only service sheet I can find is for the new BachFar version - so, does anyone know where I can find a service sheet for mine.

There are no service sheets for old Farish. It's relatively simple to get the body off (the two screws at one end that flank the main chassis block). This reveal the motor.

If oiling do not get oil on the motor commutator, and it's worth cleaning this and removing any brush carbon from the pole gaps. Lightly lubbricate the gears and axle slots in the chassis block (Mager oil from N-Brass locos is very good for these mechanisms, or Daywat from BR lines which is the same).

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal