!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

What do you think of this model?

Superb
1 (2.8%)
Good
12 (33.3%)
OK
17 (47.2%)
Poor
4 (11.1%)
Terrible
2 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Graham Farish - Class 101's - From 1990's  (Read 16768 times)

Offline Cyberman

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Graham Farish - Class 101's - From 1990's
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2020, 03:13:32 PM »
I have a Farish 101 with 3 pole motor bogie & all brass gears, it has always been a terrible runner, hardly used because of this & put away when the brass worm gear stripped & wouldn't engage with the idler gear below it.
I took the plunge & ordered a new 5 pole type 1 armature,replacement armature bushes, a set of springs & brushes & a pack of 16 & 12 tooth gears, the transformation is amazing, the motor bogie is so smooth & quiet running.
I'd like to add additional pickups to the front bogie, has anyone done this ?- any tips appreciated.

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2020, 04:21:30 PM »
Yes I've done it to my three. If I remember correctly

1) copper clad stuck under unpowered bogie
2) Wipers made up from phosphor bronze strip soldered to copper clad
3) bare wire glued to underside of chassis for each 'rail'
4) using very fine wire from a telephone wire (the coiled stuff between handset and base) connections soldered between copper clad to bare wire and then bare wire direct to motor 'terminals'

Improved running no end but not the noise from the gears. I've not done the armature change like you or the change to plastic gears.

Offline Cyberman

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2020, 05:07:21 PM »
Thanks for that i'll give it a go.
Going on the transformation of my motor bogie, the difference its made by swapping the armature & gears to plastic is incredible, i'd highly recommend giving it a go.
One thing i found out is the the idler gear beneath the worm drive is supposed to spin on the brass shank, it has splines on one end to hold it into the plastic bogie housing, i carefully opened out the hole in the gear until it spun on the shaft, changing the other gears was much more straight forward.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+54)
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2020, 07:34:00 PM »
If you still have the 3 pole armatures, let me know - they can live again in another model.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Cyberman

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2020, 09:19:08 PM »
Hi Alan.
I still have the original 3 pole armature ( needing a new brass worm), at present i'm going through my collection of old Farish stuff to see what runs & what needs what, i'll keep you posted on anything surplus  ;)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+54)
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2020, 11:53:11 PM »
Hi Alan.
I still have the original 3 pole armature ( needing a new brass worm), at present i'm going through my collection of old Farish stuff to see what runs & what needs what, i'll keep you posted on anything surplus  ;)

No problem - worms can be changed out, so these armatures should be reusable.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal