!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trepol Bay ??  (Read 173776 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Trepol Bay ??
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 01:05:06 PM »
Been to B&Q this morning to buy some timber for the baseboard for Trepol Bay.
Construction will involve the station being at a higher level than the harbour area plus I need to think about water at the front.
Hopefully, I can start cutting the timber this weekend.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »
Really looking forward to this taking shape. You seem to have planned in lots of features that I would liked to have done, if I had the space. I managed a canal, but not a lock.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
Really looking forward to this taking shape. You seem to have planned in lots of features that I would liked to have done, if I had the space. I managed a canal, but not a lock.

Ditto, Malc.  :photospleasesign:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 05:37:32 PM »
So........Baseboard constructed.
Here it is......

3ft by 2 fft.
I have laid a few bits of setrack just to give a very rough impression of what will be.
Trepol Bay Station (SR) will be at the higher level (2 platforms plus bay I think) and will link directly from the left edge to Port Perran fiddle yard but will also link to it's own portable fiddle yard for exhibitions.  I'm undecided yet as to whether to make the scenic break a tunnel or to use a girder bridge (or maybe both).
The idea is that trains can run through from Port Perran when the layout is in situ at home but can run in stand alone mode when at exhibitions (if invited of course).
The upper level will also include a very small goods yard and a carriage siding for stabling carriages during the holiday season.  Possibly also, a one loco engine shed.
The lower level is the port area and the very low level (bottom right) will be the harbour.
The lower level will also include a canal (it's marked on the baseboard) which will enter the harbour via a lock gate (as at Bude). Also running alongside the canal will be an old narrow gauge railway (disused but with a couple of old wagons in situ) probably formed of 009 track.
I will  have dockside cranes and warehouses and a wagon turntable.
The gap between upper and lower levels will be rock face in part (farther end) and gentle sloping wasteland (left edge).
The lower level track will join the station line just after the scenic break and will, of course, be gently inclined.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions or possible unforeseen pitfalls will be appreciated.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 06:31:29 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this develop, Martin. You seem to have incorporated elements from some of the most interesting SR North Cornwall stations. This will look very attractive, I'm sure and will have plenty of operating interest.

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 07:27:04 PM »
Nice one  PP .
I love the idea of those 3 levels and the 009 track alongside the canal.
Will be interested in seeing it develop  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2014, 08:00:11 PM »
Sounds/looks like a cracking plan, and I'm sure the invites will be rolling in (nothing like having a deadline to work to ;))

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2014, 07:21:41 AM »
The carriage siding for stabling carriages during the holiday season will need a wooden box housing the water tap for attaching the hoses to refill the carriage water tanks, just like at Bude. Maybe, you could even model a hose lying on the ballast ready for use? (I've not seen that done.)

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2014, 07:25:39 AM »
Looking great!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2014, 08:25:52 AM »
The carriage siding for stabling carriages during the holiday season will need a wooden box housing the water tap for attaching the hoses to refill the carriage water tanks, just like at Bude. Maybe, you could even model a hose lying on the ballast ready for use? (I've not seen that done.)

Sounds like a great plan.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2014, 08:22:39 PM »
No progress today (been to the beach) except for the purchase of a tin of matt grey paint from B&Q as a first covering for the baseboard of Trepol Bay.
However, I am thinking of a change to my original trackplan.  I think I can now alter my idea of Trepol Bay being a terminus. I'm thinking of an eastward extension through the station (single line), through a scenic break road bridge and then extend the line maybe 4 ft (I just have the space) beyond the station on a curve into a two track fiddle yard.
Trepol Bay will then have 2 bay platforms plus the single through line.
That will give me the option to run LSWR trains from Wadebridge (imaginary) to Trepol Bay and on to Port Perran.
An N or T9 on such a train would look good I think.   

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2014, 08:58:52 PM »
Oh,that sounds even better, Martin. I think, later this year, the RCTS / LCGB may well be running an enthusiasts special from Waterloo to Wadebridge and then visiting Trepol Bay and Port Perran before returning to Wadebridge to visit Cant Cove and Penmayne! 8-) The only question is for which parts of its journey the train will be hauled by a Bulleid Light Pacific, a N and a T9!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2014, 07:59:12 AM »
Let's hope there's no steam ban which will mean  we have to put up with a class 47.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2014, 08:44:19 AM »
The Area Manager at Wadebridge has been on the line to Waterloo and Paddington, Martin, this morning. If there is a steam ban, the WR has offered D1662 "isambard Kingdom Brunel" as the replacement for the scheduled Bulleid Light Pacific from Waterloo to Exeter. If there is no steam ban in the South-West, a Penmayne-based Exmouth Junction allocated Bulleid Light Pacific can take over for the Exeter to Wadebridge section. If there is a steam ban in the area through which the Exeter-Okehampton-Halwill-Launceston-Wadebridge line passes, D1662 will take the train on to Plymouth on the WR main line. If there is no steam ban in the area west of Plymouth, 2 X 45XXs or 2 X 61XXs from Bodmin shed (St. Blazey allocated) will then take the train on to Wadebridge. It is hoped that, at Wadebridge, a local N or T9 will then take over for the trips to Trepol Bay and Port Perran before returning to Wadebridge to visit Cant Cove and Penmayne. If neither a N or a T9 is available, 2 X 57XXs from Wadebridge shed will be rostered, one preserved in GWR livery as it has been sold to Bodmin GWS. If steam is banned in the Wadebridge area, a more powerful new SR Class 33 will be allocated in preference to a WR Class 22. The seats are selling out fast! 8-)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2014, 08:26:45 PM »
Painted the baseboard for Trepol Bay with grey base coat. The green bit is the base colour for the harbour.
The upper level is removable as I need to be able to take it off to insert point motors once I have final positioning for the track etc.

Also paid a visit to the model shop today and  bought some track/points . Hopefully I can start some initial track laying tomorrow.  I must admit to not being one for track planning software. I have a firm layout plan in my head (and a rough sketch) and lprefer to see how the track looks in situ.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations