!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trepol Bay ??  (Read 171496 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Trepol Bay ??
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2014, 01:27:11 PM »
Thinking about it more I think I would lay the track as, in effect a double line.  With the line that leads into the bay extending the length of the board into a headshunt.  There would be a crossover as entry from the branch into the bay which would split again to act as your release road and entry into the depot.  You carriage siding would then branch off that.

I think that is an excellent idea and, again, there is a prototype in that Wadebridge had what looked like a double line (actually, two parallel single lines) leading into the station.

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2014, 03:25:33 PM »
I think that is an excellent idea and, again, there is a prototype in that Wadebridge had what looked like a double line (actually, two parallel single lines) leading into the station.

(sigh)....ok.......I have to ask.......why are two single lines not a double line?

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2014, 07:02:23 PM »

(sigh)....ok.......I have to ask.......why are two single lines not a double line?

OK, I'll try to, briefly, explain. One mile south-east of Wadebridge, the Wadebridge to Launceston, Halwill, Meldon Jn. Okehampton and Exeter (North Cornwall line) was joined by the line from Bodmin and Boscarne Jn., both single tracks then running parallel to one another along the Camel Valley and, consequently, looking like a double-track line. (One line had sufficed until 1907.)

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2014, 08:01:26 PM »
Right....words of one syllable I understand  :D

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2014, 08:19:33 PM »
OK, I have made a few alterations, but nothing radically different. I'll post another picture when I've sourced one or two more pieces of track and another point so that I can add the rough layout for the harbour area for consideration.
I've got to then tackle the slightly awkward issue of joining Trepol Bay to Port Perran but with a removable "bridging" section  which has a slight downslope for one of the two tracks to reach the harbour.
There will be a junction for this on the bridging section with a very small country halt nearby.
In order to do that I want to get the Trepol Bay trackwork completely finalised and operational and then add some legs to the Trepol Bay baseboard.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2014, 08:22:13 PM »
Looking forward to the new pictures, Martin. Adding a a very small country halt  (like on the Torrington line?) is an excellent idea.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2014, 10:39:19 PM »
OK, I'll try to, briefly, explain. One mile south-east of Wadebridge, the Wadebridge to Launceston, Halwill, Meldon Jn. Okehampton and Exeter (North Cornwall line) was joined by the line from Bodmin and Boscarne Jn., both single tracks then running parallel to one another along the Camel Valley and, consequently, looking like a double-track line. (One line had sufficed until 1907.)

There are plenty of other examples too including on the Isle of Wight and modern ones such as the tracks into Barry Island while the preserved railway was there.

Quite a few modern ones exist simply because junctions have been eliminated to reduce cost/risks and the tracks diverge somewhere earlier where there is also suitable pointwork.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline smileyjon

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2014, 07:55:05 AM »
Hello Martin

For my planning I made up card and paper points which helped a little.... but when I tried to lay it out using the real thing all the planning went out the window.  Ah well !

I now think mine is turning out to be a bit of a train set and less a model railway

So . . . . . . keep on inspiring me with your great work !

Cheers :beers:

Jon

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2014, 09:38:45 PM »
I can't get on with too much planning with card or computer programs. I like to see what the track looks like on the board !
Keep up your good work Jon - I feel a lovely layout will be the outcome in the long term :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2014, 09:53:47 PM »
 No progress made this evening.
Got in from work late so just been running a few trains on Port Perran.
45XX prarie just left (bunker first) with a two coach local stopper (plus van) bound for Cant Cove.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »
Now would that be the van collecting beer casks from the Castle Ales brewery by any chance? 8-)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2014, 10:03:18 PM »
Certainly is. I have the Cornish Arms right across the road from Port Perran station with a lot of thirsty customers waiting for the van to return !

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2014, 10:12:27 PM »
The brewery workers are working overtime as demand is very high in this heatwave. That was Lady Penelope of Cant Castle's excuse for ordering a ferry van full of Kronenbourg for her garden party: the brewery must supply its loyal publicans, first!

The yardmaster at Wadebridge has confirmed that as soon as the van has arrived from Port Perran it will be added to the 07.09 (57XX Light Engine -- my sole Dapol one) from Wadebridge to Penmayne 07.18 arrival (LE). The van will then be added by the former LE to the 2P Set No. 981: BSK+BCK (2) which it will head departing Penmayne at 07.32, arriving at Cant Cove at 07.36, departing at 07.38, after dropping off the van in the goods yard bay to be picked up by the Castle Estate pickup goods which will take it to the Castle Brewery for loading. As there are a lot of casks waiting for loading when the brewery goods out department opens at 8AM the pickup goods has been scheduled to leave Cant Cove as soon as a loco can be found a path through the Summer weekend specials!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:32:16 PM by Chris in Prague »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2014, 09:11:11 AM »
The Head Brewer of the Castle Brewery, Cant Castle, was in the "Railwayman's Arms", Penamayne, yesterday evening ensuring that, despite the record production this month and the very high temperatures, the quality of the ales delivered is as high as ever. He got talking with the (off-duty) shedmaster over a pint of 'Castle Golden Best Bitter' who informed him that, based on the good reports concerning the unwanted Class 14 sent to Port Perran another Class 14, almost brand new D9501, unwanted by Cardiff Canton, was being sent to Penmayne for use on PWM trains in connection with the WR upgrading of the Bodmin - Wadebridge - Penmayne line for higher axle-loadings and was due to arrive that very night, around 22:45. In return for a crate each of bottled 'Castle Extra Hoppy Bitter', the Bristol Traction Inspector, who had arrived to train local drivers, and the senior Penmayne driver have agreed to make their first driver training run early Saturday morning (before 08:00 as soon as there is a path) to Cant Cove and the Castle Estate branch and back. Whilst at the end of the branch, they will collect the train of BR 12T Ventilated Vans loaded with casks and deliver them to Cant Cove goods yard where they will stable the Class 14 until Sunday as the line is completely full with scheduled trains for the rest of the day. The scheduled 10.30 ex-Penmayne goods, hauled by a N or a 80XXX BR standard 4MT tank loco. arriving at Cant Cove at 10.35 will shunt the yard, pick up the beer vans for Wadebridge and then leave at 11.10, arriving at Wadebridge at 11.17 from where the van for Trepol Bay will be collected by the next scheduled train. Of course the casks will then need to be left in the pub cellar, placed in their serving position and left to stand for 24 HOURS before tapping and left for a further 24 HOURS AFTER tapping before serving. I hope the "Cornish Arms" right across the road from Port Perran station has enough ale to last the weekend!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:36:47 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2014, 08:23:20 AM »
Yes, trade at the Cornish Arms has been very brisk but the landlord has enough stock to last till at least Wednesday.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations