!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trepol Bay ??  (Read 175623 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Trepol Bay ??
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2014, 08:28:01 PM »
The Area Manager at Wadebridge has been on the line to Waterloo and Paddington, Martin, this morning. If there is a steam ban, the WR has offered D1662 "isambard Kingdom Brunel" as the replacement for the scheduled Bulleid Light Pacific from Waterloo to Exeter. If there is no steam ban in the South-West, a Penmayne-based Exmouth Junction allocated Bulleid Light Pacific can take over for the Exeter to Wadebridge section. If there is a steam ban in the area through which the Exeter-Okehampton-Halwill-Launceston-Wadebridge line passes, D1662 will take the train on to Plymouth on the WR main line. If there is no steam ban in the area west of Plymouth, 2 X 45XXs or 2 X 61XXs from Bodmin shed (St. Blazey allocated) will then take the train on to Wadebridge. It is hoped that, at Wadebridge, a local N or T9 will then take over for the trips to Trepol Bay and Port Perran before returning to Wadebridge to visit Cant Cove and Penmayne. If neither a N or a T9 is available, 2 X 57XXs from Wadebridge shed will be rostered, one preserved in GWR livery as it has been sold to Bodmin GWS. If steam is banned in the Wadebridge area, a more powerful new SR Class 33 will be allocated in preference to a WR Class 22. The seats are selling out fast! 8-)

Think I'll book a seat on that train ! 
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2014, 08:33:51 PM »
You're making fast progress, Martin. Thanks for the photo. I have not even got the track and points out of the box as I want to concentrate on painting. I will have to roughly lay out the track soon though as I need to plan where the insulation board sections will go so that they can be cut to shape. However, final track laying is still some way off. A friend of mine 'drew' up the trackplan for me in software after I had sketched it out. However, I had a real life station trackplan to follow so that made it easier. Only the Castle Estates branch to the fiddleyard and the fiddleyard had to be added, plus, later the single-road loco shed. Have you had any thoughts on how you will construct the buildings?

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2014, 08:43:43 PM »
Buildings will be mainly scratch built (using mainly plastikard and card) but will also possibly use some Metcalfe kits and also perhaps some Kestrel or ratio kits which may be altered somewhat.
Trepol Bay station platforms will be first. I am at present undecided as to whether to go for a platform mounted signal box. Platform mounted is my choice but It will depend on how it all looks when the platform itself is in situ.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2014, 09:03:01 PM »
Once I have the track roughly positioned I can build the (curving station platforms). As I'm (largely) following a real-life North Cornwall LSWR station, I'll be building a platform-mounted Type 4 signalbox, however, you have a range of choices. I agree, once your platforms are in place then you can plan where the buildings will go. Again, I have a plan to follow which makes life easier (and I can see in my mind's eye and my detailed plan where everything should go). However, there will be two new buildings: the "Station Hotel" and the "Tramway Inn" to plan and scratchbuild.

Offline smileyjon

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2014, 07:49:54 PM »
Martin, you asked for comments . . . . FAR TOO SMALL !

only joking 'cos mines bigger than yours (wait for the comments)

Seriously I love the concept.

Keep on building !

Jon :beers:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »
So..........I've laid some setrack out as I envisage the layout of Trepol Bay station will be.
Here is my initial idea :

What we have is :
The white card is roughly the platform layout . Main station building will be to the right. This will be and LSWR station and I'd very much like a platform mounted signal box. The one in the picture is only a dummy (not the real thing). I'm undecided if it should be where I've put the dummy or should it be a conventional raised box where the card with the S is laid ?
The track on the left is a through road from Port Perran (physical connection eventually) to Wadebridge (fictional). This will carry through trains from East (LSWR) to West (WR).
The bay line will carry locals (mainly WR) to Port Perran and Truro.
The loop allows panniers/praries to run around their train.
The siding to the right is to house berthed SR stock in Summer months or busy periods.
The short siding at the top will be a single road loco shed/servicing facility.
Track to the lower (harbour) level will run in where the two small curved bits of track are placed. I've decided that the harbour area will incorporate the Trepol bay small goods yard facility (probably including a coal yard).

I'd be grateful for any comments,thoughts or suggestions for alterations. If the whole thing looks impractical please say so.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2014, 08:49:20 PM »
Martin, you asked for comments . . . . FAR TOO SMALL !

only joking 'cos mines bigger than yours (wait for the comments)

I'm keeping quiet !! :doh:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2014, 09:04:24 PM »
Looks a good layout, Martin. Wadebridge had two signal boxes, one at approximately where your track to the lower (harbour) level will run in (where the two small curved bits of track are placed) and the best known signalbox right at the end of the longest platform. However, as Trepol Bay is, of course, fictional, it might be better to have a ground-mounted signalbox at B as that would be the position where the signalman would have the best overall view of the station area under his control. Alternatively, you could have a platform-mounted signal box at the end of the longest platform where the signalman would also have a good view of the station area under his control. Then the second signalbox could control the line down to the harbour as well as the loco shed and carriage siding.

I agree it would make sense for the harbour area to incorporate the Trepol Bay small goods yard facility (and a coal yard would be normal). To the coal yard you could add some fuel oil tanks for local shipping.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 09:32:01 PM by Chris in Prague »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2014, 09:13:19 PM »
Thanks for the comments Chris.
Much as I like the idea of a platform mounted box, I may just go with the idea of a single box which will allow a good all round view. Perhaps alongside the locoshed area?   But then again ???
I'll sleep on the plan tonight before making any firm decisions.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2014, 09:36:50 PM »
My pleasure, Martin. I agree, a single single box which will allow a good all round view would be more realistic. I would place it a bit further up than point B, almost half-way to the set of points into the loco shed and carriage siding, so that the signalman would have a good overall view of all the points. However, that still leaves control of the track to the lower (harbour) level?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2014, 09:40:58 PM »
Plan looks straightforward and uncomplicated. I like it :thumbsup:

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2014, 10:46:23 AM »
As a wee suggestion:- Could you move the point at card S nearer to the throat.  Extend the platform (more room for you specials) and put the SB at the end of the platform?

I always think short trains look so much better in long platforms.  It enhances their "localness"..
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline Danfilm007

• N Gauge Society Number: 23373
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2014, 12:17:07 PM »
Like the station plan mate

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2014, 12:28:21 PM »
As a wee suggestion:- Could you move the point at card S nearer to the throat.  Extend the platform (more room for you specials) and put the SB at the end of the platform?
I always think short trains look so much better in long platforms.  It enhances their "localness"..
A good point. Will probably have a little play this evening to that effect. Also, I intend to make the platform just a tad wider.

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2014, 12:30:10 PM »
Thinking about it more I think I would lay the track as, in effect a double line.  With the line that leads into the bay extending the length of the board into a headshunt.  There would be a crossover as entry from the branch into the bay which would split again to act as your release road and entry into the depot.  You carriage siding would then branch off that.

That's just my musings but it's your railway.
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £61.00
Below Goal: £39.00
Site Currency: GBP
61% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything