!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trepol Bay ??  (Read 178171 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Trepol Bay ??
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2014, 08:14:33 PM »
Track in Trepol Bay station now laid and stuck down (waiting for it to dry) but not the harbour area yet.
Over the next 2 -3 days will be linking (albeit on an initial temporary basis) Trepol Bay to Port Perran for testing purposes. So.......soon the first train will (hopefully) enter the as yet unbuilt Trepol  Bay Station.
Big decision as to which loco to use for the first test train  :doh:
The railway room has to be re-arranged a little to cope with this with Port Perran moving about 3 feet right. As it's portable(ish) that's not a problem.
As the railway room also doubles as the spare bedroom everything has to be able to slip under the beds when we have visitors.
 It will also mean that my control console changes position by about 5 feet but that will make overall operation easier in the long run (once Trepol Bay is wired up) as I'll be able to see both Trepol Bay and Port Perran.
I'm also raising the height of the Port Perran layout which will save back ache (hopefully) !
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2014, 08:58:02 PM »
Excellent progress, Martin. As it is an ex-LSWR station, it has to be your T9!

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
The first train has made it (somewhat carefully) into the site of Trepol Bay station !
I laid a test track today joining (a little precariously at the moment!) Port Perran fiddle yard to Trepol Bay station area. The lower level at Trepol Bay is yet to have track laid.
So.....a few photos :

The track meanders from Port Perran Fiddle Yard upgrade to Trepol Bay

The T9 leaves the fiddle yard and enters the new track. It wasn't actually the first loco (I tested it first off with an 08).

The incline up to Trepol Bay station. This will have sides at the lower end in the shape of a small bricked wall and will become a girder bridge at the top end. At the moment there are no sides hence the rather careful initial runs. Didn't want to lose a loco off the side !

The T9 stands in what will become Trepol Bay station.

Aerial view of the station area at Trepol Bay.
Next step is to fully secure the incline (it is rather loosely screwed into place at the moment) then set a spur off of it to the port area of Trepol Bay. I can then design the track layout for the lower port area.
Glass of wine next as amongst the model railway work today we also had a new shed delivered and installed so I think a glass of vino is deserved.  :beers:

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2014, 08:36:21 PM »
Looking good Martin, certainly coming on well and that UM loco looks the business, getting tempted myself.   :thumbsup:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2014, 08:51:45 PM »
that UM loco looks the business, getting tempted myself.   :thumbsup:
Go for it, it's a great little loco - I'm really pleased with it.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+88)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2014, 09:41:42 PM »
Fascinating watching this come together, Martin. Please keep the pics coming :thumbsup:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2014, 09:44:26 PM »
No one has mentioned my legs yet ???? ???

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+88)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »
I was desperately trying to stop myself, Martin, but did spot them in the mirror (well, one of 'em) ;)

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2014, 09:53:28 PM »
I know.
   :-[ We  didn't want to upset you by commenting on their poor looks.
 Do the knees often knock together?
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2014, 09:57:48 PM »
I know.
   :-[ We  didn't want to upset you by commenting on their poor looks.
 Do the knees often knock together?
All the time, I thought that was normal ! :laugh:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2014, 10:13:46 PM »
Fascinating watching this come together, Martin. Please keep the pics coming :thumbsup:
Trepol Bay is supposed to be a retirement project but I still have until late December before I (semi) retire so I'm trying not to rush ahead too quickly.  However.....I do get a bit carried away once a project is started. I'll just have to restrict my visits to Kernow Model rail Centre  for a while !!

Offline smileyjon

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2014, 10:55:16 PM »
Lovely set of photo's Martin . . . This is looking like a real fun project :claphappy:

Hope you are enjoying it.

With regard to height of layout I've discovered, well for me that is at 6' 0 " . . . around 32-34 inches for building and working on but, and I think it was Nobby that first suggested it, about 42-44 inches for the enjoyment of running and watching the trains go by.  I assume your supports for Port Perran are at a set height anyway.  As for inclines . . . . The local line hits 1 in 38 and 1 in 39 in places and Calstock platform not only curves but drops near on 3 feet over it's very short length . . . however as you know, test the grades first !

SUCH FUN !

Catch you later, oh and p.s . . . . my two loco's covered all 3 miles of my track without a hitch  . . FINALLY ....and I'll never know what caused that short.

Good night  :wave:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
Excellent progress, Martin. It's looking a very good layout already. The SR livery T9 looks fine with the BR SR MkIs. The Castle Brewery wagon for deliveries to Port Perran and Trepol is almost finished and the ex-LNER brake van in early BR Bauxite Red is coming on nicely. The painters at Cant Cove loco. shed are on target to complete work this weekend so that they can be sent off to Wadebridge on Monday for onwards delivery. The brewery manager has promised them a crate of Summer Ale!

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »
Quite a bit of progress today and track laying is now complete (including the port area) and all fixed firmly in place. Plenty of test trains run with an assortment of rolling stock (just to ensure everything runs OK).
A few pics of progress below :

A general view of the Trepol Bay track layout. The station is on the upper level with the track for the single road locoshed just behind the signal box.
The port area is lower and I have roughly painted in the canal (in green) and the narrow gauge railway (hopefully Z gauge) in brown. The wagon turntable is yet to be finished and will serve the fish packing factory and a small brewery.

A general view with some stock in place.
The white fish wan is waiting to load fish whilst the other wagon next to the turntable is loaded with beer.
The pannier is about to leave the dockside with a short train.
The station area (upper level) is busy !
The two lines converge to run onto Port Perran layout. I have now removed the steepish incline from Port Perran to Trepol Bay and that run is now on the level.

The link to Port Perran (now level) with a DMU heading to Trepol Bay. You can see the uphill section from the port area to join the main line from Trepol Bay station.

Close up of port area. Much of the trackwork will be inlaid into the ground (as is common in ports I think) and I'll achieve this by carding in between (as illustrated very roughly for now with a bit of cereal packet. I will be using mounting card in reality.
The siding in the port area with the Siphon G in will serve a builder's merchant.

Close up of dock area with the canal which will enter via a lock and also showing the route of the narrow gauge track.

Much of Trepol Bay port area will be industrial buildings eventually and will include warehousing, a small brewery, fish packing, granite loading, a builder's merchant, a small coal yard and a car workshop (amongst others). Scenic work will commence shortly but probably with the station itself first to be done in LSWR style.
Any thoughts, comments or suggestions please ?

Offline smileyjon

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2014, 04:23:17 PM »
Wonderful stuff Martin . . . love the wagon turntable idea.  There once was a wagon lift just down the road from me that was over 100 feet high although I don't think your level difference is quite that much.

Will it fit in the car with Port Perran . . . . and if you use the same level of detail to Trepol Bay. . . . .  :claphappy:

stay dry  :P

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here