!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New Running in Board  (Read 938 times)

Steamie+

• Trade Count: (0)
New Running in Board
« on: May 15, 2017, 03:16:54 AM »
This is my new running in board made from 5mm ply with the help of my son-in-law, well mainly him i just laid the track and made a couple of brews. The top is just the same only there isnít a batten running from corner to corner on it. I have run all my locos on it, even the notorious 9F and they all run. I have ran them forward and reverse for half an hour each and even ran them clockwise and anti-clockwise so they have had a good run in. I think it is far better then a rolling road and so lightweight, i even attempted to lift it on the quite with out the family knowing, but i got caught...still it works thats the main thing, so i can carry on with the layout and let future buys have a nice proper run.

I hope you like and sorry for the fuzzy photo of the loco.

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
Re: New Running in Board
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 07:50:41 AM »
Looks good Rod. Wish I had a son-in-law ready to build such things for me. :)

Much better than a rolling road for test running - rolling roads don't go round curves, are not long enough for more than the loco, or have points, the very situations where problems are most likely to occur.

Only time I need a rolling road is for testing my brakes at an MOT Station :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 08:28:51 AM »
Nice neat bit of woodwork that - Steamie. Like the scenic mug!! must get another one of those for my layout.
 :) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 08:36:42 AM »
Looking good Steamie.
There was I thinking that you had a new station totem sign (also known as a Running In Board).
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 10:13:36 AM »
Yeah looking good and an excellent idea. Last running in I did was on a lashed up loop on the floor of the man cave. Obviously a very temporary solution (and not good for the knees).

Personally I think that the storage tank is a tad oversized, and what's the device on the side?  :D

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: No mor
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 07:15:07 PM »
What have I started ?????  :sorrysign: I only took the unitrack to the meet up because it's quick to assemble and we wanted a dc and a dcc test track so people could run what they bring ( old 80s race track term )lol now Rods gone and bought a load to use as a test track / new layout and Micks been bitten by the test bug too with his trials . Must say I bought the original m2 for my grandson because he showed some interest in grandads trains -and I wanted him to have a go -hoping he may become a future preserver of our hobby  :NGaugersRule: He enjoyed playing with some of my locos -but when he went home at the end of the day -I was left to pack it up ( glad I did -not hard or time consuming ! ) I thought what the -instant test track -so some of my more valuable gear started appearing -nice long test track -run in proper not like a rolling road ! Keep spotting v sets going cheap on flea bay -so it keeps growing -as does his interest ! At the moment we're here ----

So if people wanna blame somebody ( and that's the game today ) then I'm guilty as charged your honour  :P
Regards
Neil

Remember -this is not a practice ! One go only !
And I was Born ready .

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 08:05:39 PM »
Yo! That's some test track, awesome. :beers:

Steamie+

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 04:56:49 AM »
What have I started ?????  :sorrysign: I only took the unitrack to the meet up because it's quick to assemble and we wanted a dc and a dcc test track so people could run what they bring ( old 80s race track term )lol now Rods gone and bought a load to use as a test track / new layout and Micks been bitten by the test bug too with his trials . Must say I bought the original m2 for my grandson because he showed some interest in grandads trains -and I wanted him to have a go -hoping he may become a future preserver of our hobby  :NGaugersRule: He enjoyed playing with some of my locos -but when he went home at the end of the day -I was left to pack it up ( glad I did -not hard or time consuming ! ) I thought what the -instant test track -so some of my more valuable gear started appearing -nice long test track -run in proper not like a rolling road ! Keep spotting v sets going cheap on flea bay -so it keeps growing -as does his interest ! At the moment we're here ----

So if people wanna blame somebody ( and that's the game today ) then I'm guilty as charged your honour  :P

No blame Neil, i want to thank you for pointing me in the direction of Unitrack, i have seen some really great layouts using it on youtube and others sites, so i am going to rip up my Roedann Viaduct with the Peco track and start again, but this time with the L shaped extension i wanted with the old layout.

Yes and  :NGaugersRule: do rule.  :beers:

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations