!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Grange...maybe sometime soon.  (Read 39521 times)

Offline longbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Grange...maybe sometime soon.
« Reply #225 on: April 09, 2017, 10:24:52 PM »
Third time lucky for me. I suspect the original and replacement were both from the same duff batch.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: April 09, 2017, 10:56:26 PM »
The only problem I had with my Grange was the screw holding the front bogie on was far too tight so it wouldnt go round even a shallow curve  now it runs well ,,the funny thing is that with both of the Manors I got from Alli Palli had the exact opposite the screw fell out on both of them but again they are both good runners now .
So thats four good  runners from Dapol  the Manors bought at Alli Palli this year and the Grange last year also the 38xx had a tight screw as well but now runs well .My faith in Dapol has been restored but still wonder why I had these minor problems on brand new locos.Even though I must admit all bought at discounted prices from Dapol direct all guaranteed brand new not seconds.
Bob Tidbury

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #227 on: April 10, 2017, 08:06:32 AM »
My 60 Grange works fine as well.

Offline longbow

• Awards
« Reply #228 on: May 08, 2018, 12:47:42 AM »
Dapol's Burghclere Grange (2S-019-003) comes in fully lined BR black with early crest and a 4000gall tender. Is this an authentic combination for this or any other Grange in early BR days? According to gwr.org.uk no Granges appeared in lined black, whilst 1950s pics of this particular Grange show it with a 3500gall tender.

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: May 08, 2018, 09:12:03 AM »
Only 2 Granges wore lined Black livery. These were 6809 "Burghclere Grange" and 6819 "Highnam Grange". 6809 did acquire a larger 4000 gallon tender at some point but whether this happened while it was still in lined black or when it was repainted in green, I am not sure. The answer will be in "Power of the Granges" but I do not have a copy to hand.

Highnam Grange only wore lined black for a year or so. It also had a red reversing lever IIRC as it was overhauled at Caerphilly works who tended to add this detail to locos they repainted.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: May 08, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »
I don't know much of GWR practise but I do know LNER and LMS practice where tenders were swapped beween locos as required to provide the best mix of motive power for the work load at hand. Is it not therefore feasable that on a given day a Grange may have been coupled to a different tender?

Cheers
Dave

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #231 on: May 08, 2018, 10:45:10 AM »
On the GWR locos tended to keep their tenders and only swapped them at overhauls. The reason for this was that it was quicker to overhaul a tender than a loco. Rather than have overhauled tenders sitting on a siding waiting for "their" loco, a tender would normally be paired with the next appropriate loco to emerge from overhaul, even if it was not the one it came in with.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline longbow

• Awards
« Reply #232 on: May 08, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »
I'd prefer a black Grange with the larger Dapol GWR tender drive as these seem less prone to noise and vibration than the 3500gall versions.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:55:16 AM by longbow »

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #233 on: May 08, 2018, 11:55:57 AM »
On the flip side, the 3500 gallon tender is slightly newer and has features like spoked wheels. Horses for courses. ;)

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #234 on: May 08, 2018, 11:57:51 AM »
Only 2 Granges wore lined Black livery. These were 6809 "Burghclere Grange" and 6819 "Highnam Grange". 6809 did acquire a larger 4000 gallon tender at some point but whether this happened while it was still in lined black or when it was repainted in green, I am not sure. The answer will be in "Power of the Granges" but I do not have a copy to hand.

Highnam Grange only wore lined black for a year or so. It also had a red reversing lever IIRC as it was overhauled at Caerphilly works who tended to add this detail to locos they repainted.

I have just looked in my copy and can confirm that the top of page 44 shows a picture of "Burghclere Grange" at Plymouth in 1954 which carried lined black from 1949 until 1957 with a Collett 4000 gallon tender. nice to know as I bought one at Ally Pally this year.

Regards,

Alex

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: October 01, 2018, 08:20:08 PM »
6809 "Burghclere Grange" was allocated to Penzance (83G) 8/50-1/58 which makes buying one tempting as it was in the West country within my modelling period. I think it left the West Country in 1958 with the coming of the diesel-hydraulics?

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here