!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: "Bang goes the Theory"  (Read 785 times)

Offline Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
"Bang goes the Theory"
« on: April 29, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »
I've just watched the latest BBC "Bang goes the theory" . Well worth a watch. They talk about how NR is considering changing the Block Signalling system to a rolling block system to enable more trains, NR's Management Train (The Big Banana) and rail fatigue, along with one or two other things all to do with railways.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b042lrnm/Bang_Goes_the_Theory_Series_8_Trains/

(With apologies to those among us outside the BBC iPlayer field of use.)
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline Oldun

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
Re: "Bang goes the Theory"
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 12:35:40 AM »
 :thankyousign: For the link it was very interesting. As to the 'rolling block' system to me creates
 an interesting problem. I live next to a 'coach depot' where the trains are cleaned/stored when
 not in use and of course repaired if repairs are needed. This depot at night when not so many
 trains are needed is usually full. The problem as I see it is, where are they going to store these
 'extra trains' when not in use  :worried: The massive infrastructure change will cost millions of pounds
 and require massive 'land grabs' to be able to go ahead with this system to succeed.

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Offline MJKERR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: X23832
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 01:18:59 AM »
The problem as I see it is, where are they going to store these 'extra trains' when not in use
Storage shouldn't be an issue when (if) Network Rail upgrade the signalling block system
Typically overnight most stations are empty now, whereas in the past (just prior to privitisation) they were used to store trains before / after cleaning
Due to the pricing regime this doesn't happen as much now
Instead it is cheaper for the Train Companies to move the train out of the station, even if just to move it to another depot

In the short term the issue will be actually acquiring the additional rolling stock
As the network is upgraded this will be gradual, therefore the capacity should grow with the demand, but not exceed the demand which is what is currently required
Equally, the question remains as to what happens when the demand decreases (which is what is expected to happen when the country begins to show signs of prosperity)
This will result in additional rolling stock, in some cases it may be the wrong type, but it may also allow the replacement of older rolling stock

This still leaves the issue of different types of rolling stock within a moving block system, and one of the reasons Network Rail is hesitant to implement straight away
This is easy enough when all the trains are capable of the same speed, but all different types the system becomes almost useless

Offline Oldun

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:01:30 PM »
This still leaves the issue of different types of rolling stock within a moving block system, and one of the reasons Network Rail is hesitant to implement straight away
This is easy enough when all the trains are capable of the same speed, but all different types the system becomes almost useless

That's what has got me wondering about now. There is the main line going through Gillingham
next to me. There is only two lines running through, the Up line and the Down line yet - they
run the usual commuter trains (white South East rail) and the 'high speed' trains (dark blue)
on the same track. This makes me wonder, are the white commuter trains running fast, or are
dark blue high speed trains running slow  :confused2:

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Offline Cooper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 06:03:49 PM »
This makes me wonder, are the white commuter trains running fast, or are
dark blue high speed trains running slow  :confused2:

Roger
[/quote]

Both!  :laughabovepost:

Offline edwin_m

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 09:28:48 PM »
Running trains of different average speeds on the same track uses up a lot more capacity than running lots of trains with identical performance and identical stopping patterns.  Essentially the timetable needs to leave a gap where a fast train follows a slow one, to allow for the slow train to reach some place where it can get out of the way of the fast train before it is caught up.  Moving block makes relatively little difference to this problem - it may allow the trains to approach more closely but the gap between a slow and a fast train is nearly the same.  To really boost capacity on a mixed-traffic railway needs extra tracks long enough for the slow trains to be overtaken without having to slow down any further. 

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here