!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Lighting  (Read 673 times)

Offline grob1234

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Lighting
« on: April 26, 2014, 09:56:41 PM »
I do hope this is in the right area. Mods, please feel free to move if incorrect.

I'm not electrically minded. My question regards a simple lighting circuit for my layout.

I understand lights are wired in parallel. No problem with that.

I have a 12v DC power source. The lights are supplied with resistors to take 12v to 6v. Would I need to put a resistor in for each light in the parallel circuit, or could I simply just put 1 resistor in at the start of the circuit as it leaves the power source? I'm thinking of having about 10 lights in the circuit, is this too many?

Thank you very much in advance!

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
Re: Lighting
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 10:26:14 PM »
It depends on several things. Are you talking about LED lights or grain of wheat bulbs. If the latter, put 2 in series, which would effectively put 6v across each bulb. Then put the pairs in parallel. However, if you have been supplied with resistors, it sounds like you are using LEDs. You could use a single resistor of a higher wattage, but it is probably best to put a resistor with each LED and then put them in parallel.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline grob1234

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Lighting
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 10:29:51 PM »
Thank you Malc. I've a mixture of grain of wheat and LEDs, so I shall follow your advice and wire up accordingly. Cheers!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal