!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wildwood - 4 x 2 Coffee Table  (Read 3343 times)

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
Re: Wildwood - 4 x 2 Coffee Table
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 09:42:29 AM »
Looking good. Do you intend laying a track on the incline and doing a test run? It would be easy enough to do, with a run in from the bottom flat and a run off bit on the top flat, connect a controller and run a few locos with trains up and down and see how they go, to check for haulage, slipping, etc.

Best to check now before going further!
In agree.
Theres still a few doubts in my mind as  to whether the inciines are a bit steep. That final sharp bend at the top seems very tight....There again I could be completely wrong. I hope so because it looks a smashing layout so far
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 10:44:41 AM »
Thanks for that! Curves on inclines add extra problems and I wonder what the curvy bit is for before that elevated flat?

Jenko you could swing it out wide to the rear and then lay curves on the level to your scene?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 11:19:03 AM »
Great bit of work so far but, like others, I think that little 'S' bend as it hits the top level may cause you problems.  I think it would be worth cutting that piece out and using as straight a section as you can to join the upper level and gradient, might save you a few headaches down the line.

Offline fly207lg

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 08:35:16 AM »
Just as an FYI, I put two slopes in my new layout, a shallow climb of 1:25 & a steeper descent of 1:15.5, with the trains only meant to run in one direction.

My old GF poole GP tank barely made it up the shallow climb (before it keeled over forever more), but the latest gen locos (2 Terriers, BachFar J39 & 3F Jinty, all DCC) all can haul a rake of 4 (old) GF 4 wheel coaches (which aren't the smoothest runners & mine all have extra weight in the form of lighting & a battery in each) on lowest speed step without even blinking, with the J39 able to pull 8 coaches. Having tested it for a while I discovered they all did it going the other way too - up the 1:15!

Looks great  :claphappy: - keep the pics coming!

Offline fly207lg

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 08:39:11 AM »
... forgot to say, all my climbs include a mix of curves, including #1 radius setback curves & also some points (streamline large electrofrog). All work fine.

Offline Jenko

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »
Just as an FYI, I put two slopes in my new layout, a shallow climb of 1:25 & a steeper descent of 1:15.5, with the trains only meant to run in one direction.

My old GF poole GP tank barely made it up the shallow climb (before it keeled over forever more), but the latest gen locos (2 Terriers, BachFar J39 & 3F Jinty, all DCC) all can haul a rake of 4 (old) GF 4 wheel coaches (which aren't the smoothest runners & mine all have extra weight in the form of lighting & a battery in each) on lowest speed step without even blinking, with the J39 able to pull 8 coaches. Having tested it for a while I discovered they all did it going the other way too - up the 1:15!

Looks great  :claphappy: - keep the pics coming!

Sounds promising then  :D. I have no old stock at all as I'm new to this and I'm going the DCC route so hopefully all will be fine.

But as people have suggested, I'm going to test run this section first just to make sure. But this will unfortunately be a little while off, as I my total amount of track equals 1 x turnout! Actually that's the entirety of my layout equipment!

If it turns out it doesn't work I will do exactly as a few people have suggested and straighten off the last s bend.

Last bit of work done to the baseboard, I think this is as far as I can go now until I have tested the slope. Need to get track asap!

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 03:20:18 PM »
Well it certainly looks nice so far  :thumbsup:
I realy hope it works out as you hope because its going to be a cracking layout  :)
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline Jenko

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 07:32:08 PM »
Well it certainly looks nice so far  :thumbsup:
I realy hope it works out as you hope because its going to be a cracking layout  :)

Thank you for the kind comments. So do I, as so far it looks exactly how I pictured it in my head!

Offline Jenko

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 02:20:44 PM »
I did say this would be a slow project  :D

But there has been some progress. Decided to go with the Metcalfe kits as I didn't really get on with the scale scenes stuff. I'm really impressed with the quality and detail in the Metcalfe kits.

I have got some, but not all of the track, so I decided to have a test lay with what I have got and see where I was going to put my buildings/scenery etc. I'm glad I did this as I have found that I can't fit as much track on the layout as I had first imagined. A couple of sections have had to be removed.

I also decided to make up some cardboard templates of other buildings so that I could come up with an accurate idea of how my layout would look.

I think I have come up with a suitable layout and one that will have a lot of interest without being to busy.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 02:46:08 PM »
Looks like you've been having some fun. Probably like yourself, I can't wait to see trains running :D

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 03:00:24 PM »
It's looking very good indeed, with very neat woodwork. I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

I think that small layouts are often more of a challenge than large ones, there's quite a lot of planning involved and it's a case of seeing how much you can fit into the space you have.

Offline Jenko

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 07:57:45 PM »
Looks like you've been having some fun. Probably like yourself, I can't wait to see trains running :D

No I can't, but I am enjoying making the buildings at the mo

Offline Jenko

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 07:59:32 PM »
It's looking very good indeed, with very neat woodwork. I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

I think that small layouts are often more of a challenge than large ones, there's quite a lot of planning involved and it's a case of seeing how much you can fit into the space you have.

Thank you. Yeah it certainly is a challenge getting in everything I had imagined without over crowding the layout and making it look messy

Offline Jenko

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »
Can anyone confirm that I am right in saying that the next stages for me are the following and in the correct sequence :

1. Mark where I need to cut slots for the point motors and the cut them
2. Pin down the track
3. Drill holes for drop wires
4. Solder drop wires to track
5. Ballast the track

Offline greenlaneman

• N Gauge Society Number: 25444
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 03:39:25 PM »
Play - I mean test the track comprehensively before ballasting ;)
Homeopathic warfare - the smallest army wins!
Terry Pratchett

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
December Donations

Advertise Here