!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Riccarton Junction  (Read 4047 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Riccarton Junction
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2014, 09:20:34 PM »
Thanks, Dave. I've just been reading your alternative history thread. Very interesting. Cant Cove & Penmayne have an alternative history, too, which I really must write up, soon.

Offline zuccah98

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22870
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 12:41:20 AM »
Looking really good so far.

I see the trackwork now developing for the start of the junction by the South Box where the Kielder Forest line went off. Do you plan on having the branch operational, or just a truncated spur as it was from the late 50s?

Also, I see there is some track on an incline. Is that part of the plan too, I'm trying to work out from my own research for Riccarton where that might be going?

Regards

Roy

The inclined line will be going up to the coal drop show in this picture.  http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/r/riccarton_junction/index105.shtml  But of course the incline had to be started sooner (so less steep) or I fear my engines wouldn't have made it up the incline.

And to be honest I had no idea what the branch line was actually for, as of now it is going to be leading up to a coal mine, but a wood area could very possibly be squeezed in.
Chris

A layout across the pond

Offline Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 10:02:02 AM »
The inclined line will be going up to the coal drop show in this picture.  http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/r/riccarton_junction/index105.shtml  But of course the incline had to be started sooner (so less steep) or I fear my engines wouldn't have made it up the incline.

And to be honest I had no idea what the branch line was actually for, as of now it is going to be leading up to a coal mine, but a wood area could very possibly be squeezed in.
Chris

Hi Chris

Got it now, thank you, I just couldn't place the incline.

The Kielder Forest line was closed to passengers in the mid to late 1950s but remained open to freight a little longer I believe. By the 1960s it was just a long siding where withdrawn locos, stock etc were occasionally stored.

For my smaller version of Riccarton I had applied "Rule 1" to keep the branch line open to passengers into the 60s and shuttle a DMU from the central bay platform into a slightly deeper and earlier cutting, then off scene through a "hole in the sky" to a dead end. Freight could be catered for (as with the Langholm Branch on occasion) by assuming the freight is hauled down the branch and propelled back - "Rule 1 at it's finest!

Regards

Roy
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:05:05 AM by Roy L S »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here