!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tormouth - Next Stop Folkestone Model Railway Exhibition 7th & 8th October 2017  (Read 100729 times)

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
Re: Tormouth - Next Stop Letchworth Model Railway Show 26th November
« Reply #510 on: October 14, 2016, 08:44:46 AM »
@red_death @Chris in Prague guys so I modified the track plan from

this :-

to this :-

Now though I'm struggling to work out how the loco would get back to the head of the train to go North (towards the right of the picture)... yes it could drive straight in and then reverse the clay hoods into one of the two RH sidings, but once thats done how could the rake be reformed to get it back to the main line with the loco at the front ???

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #511 on: October 14, 2016, 08:51:49 AM »

Hi Paul,

Is the clay from these dries being taken to the "rest of Britain" which is off to the east (right) or down to the docks at Fowey which would presumably be off to the west (left)?

If the rest of Britain then when the train of empties comes in the loco could just go past the sidings, then reverse the train in.  Once "loaded" the same, if it's waited, or another locomotive could come and remove them, but would then need to find a way to run round its train.  This could happen at the dries, if there is a run around loop present, but as often as not the train would probably head further west to the nearest location where there is a loop - maybe a medium sized station - and there it could run around before returning with the loaded train.

This happens quite a lot - for example the Ketton cement trains used to come up the ECML, take the Melton branch, go right past the Ketton sidings and on a further 20-odd miles to Leicester where the loco would run round, and then bring the train back in the right orientation to allow it to be reversed into the sidings.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Western Destroyer
    • Awards
« Reply #512 on: October 14, 2016, 09:20:06 AM »
Thats all good thinking, but for a show layout i think it would be better if it could run round so i'll add a loop i think?

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #513 on: October 14, 2016, 09:27:38 AM »
A passing loop which could be used for running around the train would be a very good solution. A passing loop with one or two sidings was common at stations on the Torrington line; you could even add two overgrown former station platforms on either side of the tracks.

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Western Destroyer
    • Awards
« Reply #514 on: October 14, 2016, 09:44:40 AM »
A passing loop which could be used for running around the train would be a very good solution. A passing loop with one or two sidings was common at stations on the Torrington line; you could even add two overgrown former station platforms on either side of the tracks.

Something like this Chris ?

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #515 on: October 14, 2016, 09:56:11 AM »
Exhibition.... just keep em running, I reckon.

Although having said that, I spent a lot of time at exhibitions in the 1990s operating a branch terminus on a large club layout.

There were heaps of trains running around the mainlines, but for some reason the little branch terminus I operated seemed to get a lot of attention, particularly from kids.

Personally I think the attraction was the Fleischmann turntable. The kids used to love watching locos being turned!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #516 on: October 14, 2016, 10:07:04 AM »
You could make it even simpler by removing the headshunt and having the two sidings connect directly with the passing loop. BR would have removed the bottom siding, too.

Hole or Hatherleigh on the Torrington line would be an exact prototype for this track layout:

At the bottom the through line, above the passing loop with the two sidings connected to the left-hand end of the passing loop with a catchpoint after the connection with the passing loop but before the line splits into the two dead-end sidings. You can have a halt (could be closed and overgrown as wished) with a bottom platform on the main line and a parallel platform on the loop line below the sidings.

With that simple configuration I think you can achieve what you want in the way of operating flexibility.

Even simpler would be a layout based on Meeth Clay Works where there was a loop off the through line and the clay loading shed was positioned over the central section of the loop and there was no station but a range of associated sidings off the left-hand end of the loop line.

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Western Destroyer
    • Awards
« Reply #517 on: October 14, 2016, 10:21:40 AM »
I dont need simple at all i just want to get an acceptable track plan, i dont need a halt or a station either :)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #519 on: October 14, 2016, 10:27:29 AM »
Hi Paul, of course it's your layout and you can make it as simple or as complicated as you want but, in real life, track layouts, particularly in later BR days (when, for a time BR was paid to remove redundant track by the government) were only as complicated as they needed to be to operate the day-to-day traffic. Once you define the trains you want to run then you can design the track to suit. 8-)

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Western Destroyer
    • Awards
« Reply #520 on: October 14, 2016, 10:32:53 AM »
I need a passing loop, not just for the clay traffic but for running the branch from Tormouth south, so makes sense to have it here and not on the other board, mid 1960's its unlikely there would have been too much rationalisation although the bottom siding I can remove as (like you say) its not necessary..  passing loop will need to be long enough to accommodate a loco and four coaches

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #521 on: October 14, 2016, 10:38:06 AM »
Yes, a passing loop would make perfect sense and were very common on the Torrington line, for example, and would have the additional benefit of providing run-round facilities for trains to / from the sidings.

ScottyStitch

« Reply #522 on: October 14, 2016, 10:44:29 AM »

Something like this Chris ?

Re the last plan you posted, Paul, have I got this correct?:

Train arrived from the right, straight into the curved head shunt. Wagons shunted and split into the two sidings.

On collection the loco shunts the wagons into one train again, reverses out of the head shunt onto the mainline, then pulls forward into the loop (second track from bottom). Loco runs round it's train and then heads off to exit stage right?

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Western Destroyer
    • Awards
« Reply #523 on: October 14, 2016, 10:57:13 AM »
Yes thats about the size of it :)

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #524 on: October 14, 2016, 11:09:50 AM »

Now though I'm struggling to work out how the loco would get back to the head of the train to go North (towards the right of the picture)... yes it could drive straight in and then reverse the clay hoods into one of the two RH sidings, but once thats done how could the rake be reformed to get it back to the main line with the loco at the front ???

Personally I prefer this simpler version without the loop (again it is unlikely the loop would have been built for the clay dries - it would be more likely to have been put in a station on a single track line.

To get the loco out you either do as Ben says and accept the train would go the "wrong" direction for some point before reversing the loco (most likely scenario) or you add in a works shunter (not unrealistic for clay dries).  Or final alternative (if you have room) is to put the loop in the headshunt/dries area.

Cheers, Mike

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything