!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Scalescene models  (Read 44558 times)

Offline LASteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
Re: Scalescene models
« Reply #210 on: November 27, 2018, 03:07:20 PM »
Any advice on the best way to represent the windows on a Scalescenes model? It seems almost impossible to accurately and cleanly cut the window openings from the paper or card, I've tried a lot of different paper/card weights and generally disappointed myself. My latest effort was to cut the main frame out, and then use microscope glass marked up with a white "road line" pen to represent the individual panes within the window, but it's almost impossible to be consistent with the line width.

The Scaleglaze kits obviously are designed for the job, and I've just ordered a couple of sets to try them out. They are costing me almost three times what the actual model cost (the farmhouse and barn) though, so before I launch into building terraced houses and other buildings I'm wondering if there's a more cost-effective solution?

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: November 28, 2018, 02:29:25 AM »
Any advice on the best way to represent the windows on a Scalescenes model? It seems almost impossible to accurately and cleanly cut the window openings from the paper or card, I've tried a lot of different paper/card weights and generally disappointed myself.

Those tiny windows are incredibly fiddly. I print on HP 'Presentation Paper' and my approach is to use a brand new scalpel blade for the windows and to cut them out at the start of a modeling session before my eyes get too tired!

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #212 on: November 28, 2018, 02:58:01 AM »

Those tiny windows are incredibly fiddly. I print on HP 'Presentation Paper' and my approach is to use a brand new scalpel blade for the windows and to cut them out at the start of a modeling session before my eyes get too tired!

Thanks, I'll give it another try. I have used a brand-new scalpel blade, maybe I need a better magnifier, better paper and a lot more patience! They look OK when I cut them, but the moment I take a photograph of the model, it looks like I cut them out with a bread knife while wearing boxing gloves.

Offline Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #213 on: November 28, 2018, 03:44:48 AM »
Donít forget the camera is very cruel to our modeling efforts, many project/scenes/buildings look fine from viewing distance, but magnified by the camera it looks like we have all just come out of Kindergarden!!!!
Support crowdfunding - itís the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, letís make it happen.

Offline zopadooper

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: November 28, 2018, 08:40:02 AM »

The Scaleglaze kits obviously are designed for the job, and I've just ordered a couple of sets to try them out. They are costing me almost three times what the actual model cost (the farmhouse and barn) though, so before I launch into building terraced houses and other buildings I'm wondering if there's a more cost-effective solution?

Scalescenes own alternative (and cheaper) solution is to print out their windows that are available with some kits or separately from their website onto overhead transparency film which is available quite cheaply on the internet for both ink jet and laser printers.  Scalescenes also do a "dirty glass" pro-forma which is good for engine sheds and old factories.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #215 on: November 28, 2018, 11:30:53 AM »
I know it costs a bit more but I use etched brass windows and doors (Peedie models) then stick a sheet of OHP film over the lot, helps hold them in place. As for cutting out, at further cost, I use a plotter cutter, it can cut an A4 sheet of card or Slaters Plasticard  with 2x 4 house terraces (or 4 lo relief)  in about 5 minutes for card, 8 - 10 minutes for Plasticard, all corners and curves exact and repeatable.

With card don't forget to run a suitably coloured felt tip pen over the edges of window and door openings, work from the back (unprinted side) then if the pen slips the mark should not be visible when assembled, same goes for any edges that will show at corners of buildings
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: November 28, 2018, 12:02:35 PM »
The old Scalescenes kits had the sheet to prnt windows onto an A4 clear sheet. The only downside is / was they are black frames that do not seem suitable for houses.  I am now using the scaleglaze sets, even from Australia and the "wonderful" Italian postal system I am getting them within 10 days.

I have used Brass windows but they do tend to add an extra thickness to the walls which may leed to problems.  Last December I sent in an order to Brassmasters but got no response to my mails so , as soon as Scaleglaze was released I  tried them with and am happy with the results.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #217 on: November 28, 2018, 05:15:30 PM »
... or separately from their website ...

Thanks, I didn't know that alternative existed. I'll go and rummage around on the website and see what I can find.

Offline Steve Brassett

• Awards
« Reply #218 on: November 28, 2018, 07:30:10 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it another try. I have used a brand-new scalpel blade, maybe I need a better magnifier, better paper and a lot more patience! They look OK when I cut them, but the moment I take a photograph of the model, it looks like I cut them out with a bread knife while wearing boxing gloves.

Try cutting them out with a bread knife whilst wearing boxing gloves.

At least the photos will then be accurate.

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: November 28, 2018, 11:39:57 PM »
The old Scalescenes kits had the sheet to prnt windows onto an A4 clear sheet.
Have they stopped including window outlines in new kits? :o
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Offline nookfield

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: November 29, 2018, 12:30:48 AM »
I use Scene Setters glazing bars for windows. If you require a different colour to white they can be coloured using a felt tip pen.

http://www.freestonemodel.co.uk/page20.htm

The pictures of them on the website aren't very clear. This post on RMWeb (by Grahame Hedges) shows them much better and subsequent posts show them in use

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115057-scratch-built-card-and-styrene-structures-based-on-real-buildings/page-15#entry2839483

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #221 on: November 29, 2018, 04:55:40 AM »
... I use Scene Setters glazing bars for windows. If you require a different colour to white they can be coloured using a felt tip pen.

This post on RMWeb ...

That shows what can be done. Thanks for the links.

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: November 29, 2018, 08:43:47 PM »
The old Scalescenes kits had the sheet to prnt windows onto an A4 clear sheet.
Have they stopped including window outlines in new kits? :o

Sorry "Don't PANIC"  I just have lots / all of the older kits. Later on some required cutting out the window frames to mount onto clear sheets. No just checked my download of the Island platform and it is a mix , cut outs for the office windows print out for the roof glazing.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here