!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Scalescene models  (Read 41874 times)

Offline Jo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27582
    • Awards
Re: Scalescene models
« Reply #195 on: January 01, 2018, 12:59:18 PM »
After skimming the thread I don't think anyone had this idea so here goes.

When making hollow structures that need structural support such as a platform I've found that it's much easier to make the structure itself if you cut the platform first on heavy card (making sure that it fits), then cut the exact shape on 200gsm card and trim back a few millimeters for the station overhang, then glue all the structure onto the 200gsm card base following the shape and adding supports as is needed.

I have used this several times so far in my layout and it really does help, specially if your platform has a non-rectangular shape.

And here'so an image showing the result.

Offline castrovalva

• Awards
« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2018, 02:37:28 AM »
My first Scalescenes model: the free coal office.  I'm impressed by the level of detail attainable in such a small model

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:49:05 AM by castrovalva »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2018, 03:31:17 AM »
You've made a top job of it, too!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline littlegs

• N Gauge Society Number: 24229
  • 2mm Association Number: 4053
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2018, 04:09:40 PM »
With regards of the weight/thickness of card stock in N gauge
1mm greyboard = thick card
Cereal packet = medium thick card
Photo grade printer paper = thin card
Ordinary printer paper = print only
I normally print onto self adhesive A4 sheets and stick these to the various thicknesses of cardstock as needed especially the thicker types.
But some printers will cope with cereal card so you can possibly print directly onto this and obviously the thinner photo paper also, but you will have to decide which pages to print if going down this route, otherwise you will waste ink by letting the printer do its own thing by printing everything
Regards Chris

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2018, 07:20:11 AM »
I use 200 GSM as recomended for the medium card as I found cereal packets a little too thick.
In addition I can buy it here !.  Until recently it was only 220 GSM available, and strangely it does make a difference.

For the 1mm greyboard I have to get it when I am in the UK as it is silly money here (when available).
IF YOU DO USE CEREAL PACKETS, rub the shiny side with some fine sandpaper to make a rough surface to aid glueing.
For the price of greyboard 2:49 delivered for 10 A4 sheets if you can afford it (and I know some of us can't) it is worth going with this as a fractions of mm do make a difference when "wrapping" around windows, corners etc.
I also like the new windows that are available, the downside is waiting the delivery from Australia.  Might be quicker for our Aussie members!
I have built dozens of different kits and about 60 terraced houses todays effort is converting the Large station into a wide single storey "WR" style building.

Jerry

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: November 20, 2018, 04:16:49 PM »
Slightly sideways angle to this thread, but bear with me...

Looking ahead I shall be wanting kits to bash into two road bridges over the railway. They need to be brick-built but unfortunately nearly every kit I have come across on the internet is of a stone built prototype. Two exceptions - the Vollmer viaduct would fit the bill, but at nearly 60 for two I would only buy it if there is no other choice. The Metcalfe kit is also available as a brick structure, but the bricks are the wrong colour - at least a plastic or laser-cut kit would enable me to paint it the colour I want.

So, to Scalescenes. I've never tried one of their kits but their bridge doesn't look too difficult for a beginner. The trouble is, their brick colours don't fit the bill either. What I would like to know is - can their downloads be edited at all? The bricks I want to model are a creamy colour so I would want to change the download to achieve that. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline ScottishModeller

• N Gauge Society Number: 24524
  • 2mm Association Number: 4622
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #201 on: November 20, 2018, 04:31:28 PM »
Hi there,

Have you tried looking at Smart Models?

http://www.smartmodels.co.uk/

Range of kits with texture options on most of them.

If you have a different makers kit and it's not the finish you want....
Have a look at the textures available and then use them to 'wrap' the model you have with a finish you want.

No connection - just find the co is helpful and responsive.

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #202 on: November 20, 2018, 04:33:57 PM »
Simple answer is yes, if you have software to convert the PDF to an image format e.g. .jpg, you can edit in a photo editor, or you can alter your printer's colour rendering.

There is free downloadable software for converting PDFs and for photo editing
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: November 20, 2018, 05:38:11 PM »
Thanks Phil and Mike. I didn't come across Smart Models in my searching - their viaduct looks quite promising. Also, I do have the capability to convert from pdf to jpg, so that is beginning to look like an option too. It would be worth spending a few quid to download the file and play around with it to see what I can come up with.

I may report back...

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline ScottishModeller

• Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #204 on: November 20, 2018, 07:20:00 PM »
Thanks Phil and Mike. I didn't come across Smart Models in my searching - their viaduct looks quite promising. Also, I do have the capability to convert from pdf to jpg, so that is beginning to look like an option too. It would be worth spending a few quid to download the file and play around with it to see what I can come up with.

I may report back...

Cheers,

Chris
Hi Chris,

I have played around with pdf converted to jpg for several items I needed to have a different finish on - buildings, coaches etc.

I tend to work with larger format files and then resize to print as this can give the best end product.

For example? My Scotrail sleeper sides as decals. These have a file size in the large mb range.

I work at 4 times the finished size and this makes it easier to do the work.

At present I am working on recreating the wall effect of Perth railway station as the stone effect is not available in model form.

For this I am working from my own photos.

A bit of math with the camera settings means that I was able to work out  a shooting distance and then work along the wall length at 20' intervals and keep the camera at the same heigh to avoid perspective distortions.

It's a long process - but eventually 60 photos will reproduce the wall as it really is.

Another option - If you have a photo of the finish you want to reproduce - send it to Brian at Smart Models and see if he can make what you need.

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: November 21, 2018, 12:35:12 AM »
What I would like to know is - can their downloads be edited at all? The bricks I want to model are a creamy colour so I would want to change the download to achieve that. Any ideas?

I have converted the Scalescenes pdf pages to jpg files to change the color of their random ashlar stone which is a light grey, into a golden West Dorset sandstone. You have to play around with the color balance using a basic photo editor, I use Apple's Photos app on my Mac. Check that the pdf to jpg conversion doesn't change the size of the images and you are good to go. Come to think of it the reason I had images change size might have been an A4 to US Letter paper size issue!

Offline zopadooper

• Awards
« Reply #206 on: November 21, 2018, 11:28:11 AM »

So, to Scalescenes. I've never tried one of their kits but their bridge doesn't look too difficult for a beginner. The trouble is, their brick colours don't fit the bill either. Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Chris

When I needed a Scalescenes lock-keepers cottage in a different brick to the ones published I simply emailed Scalescenes and they supplied a download with the brick colour I needed.

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: November 24, 2018, 09:22:13 AM »
I would wish to add a couple of points.

Scalescenes are very helpful and supportive and as mentioned in the previous post, a quick email may well get what you want.

Secondly, I really would be wary of smart models, especially his bricks. They come out as a blurry messy brown mess, and imho not at all a suitable representation of bricks.
HTH
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline ScottishModeller

• Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2018, 02:26:49 PM »
I would wish to add a couple of points.

Scalescenes are very helpful and supportive and as mentioned in the previous post, a quick email may well get what you want.

Secondly, I really would be wary of smart models, especially his bricks. They come out as a blurry messy brown mess, and imho not at all a suitable representation of bricks.
HTH
Kirky
Hi Kirky,

Have you let Brian know that this has happened?

I had a problem with a stone texture printing, I let him know about it and he came back to me with a solution.

Printed out fine after I applied his solution.

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2018, 09:21:29 PM »
I will add to the the support given by John at Scalescenes.

Years ago I wanted to convert the half relief cinema into a full building and he supplied me with suitable prints. Every time I have contacted him he has been very helpful with suggestions and I would recomend his products 100%.  I think I have purchased nearly everything that he has produced that I can squeeze into my layouts 1960's time frame.  My only criticism is that I haven't a lot of space for trains now!!

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £275.00
Above Goal: £220.00
Site Currency: GBP
500% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything