!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ghastly varnish applied  (Read 237 times)

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Ghastly varnish applied
« on: Yesterday at 04:34:03 PM »
 :helpneededsign:

Afternoon All, well with storm Dierdre hitting us and a windchill of -12 I've sought shelter in the warmth of the modelling room.

Having just finished weathering a representation of the Surbiton Okehampton car carrier i was trawling through the boxes and found

Farish 372-300 MN British India Line, yes an old farish idea of a MN but as I'd like to see it run before I drop dead i can't wait for the rebuilts to come from somewhere else.

Problem is i bought this second hand some years ago circa 2009 id say. Digging it out today I remembered it had been brush varnished gloss  :veryangry:

How can i remove or dull this down without damaging the original paint, lining and numbers????

It is EVERYWHERE including the running boards under boiler.

:thankyousign: Craig

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Ghastly varnish applied
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 05:18:24 PM »
You won't get it off without damaging the underlying paintwork. Best option is to either weather it (if there's areas that are bad and need hidden) and dullcote it, or dullcote it.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 05:22:54 PM »
Thanks Alan, I knew you'd be the man to ask!

Weather it first and then dullcote???

I want to try a few modifications, we have 4 of these rebuilt MN and id love to improve them a bit so seeing as this one is a dog in terms of paint right now I'll practice on this one and then IF worst comes to worst ill have to strip her and diarama her as one in the paintshop!!

Offline honk843

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 1800
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:59:57 PM »
Hi,

This may be a case of not what you do but the way that you do it.
I have done a number of these (see 35022 etc.on flickr honk843). My routine is normally to renumber and rename it if necessary by using T-cut on the existing number and by gently removing it with a cocktail stick to leave the under base colour alone as  much as possible. You could do the same to remove the varnish but it will be a time consuming business. Once you have done that give it a coat of Testors and then weather. Weathering will adhere much better to a dull finish than a gloss. Do not be tempted to varnish the weathering. Warning. beware of the tenders. On old Castles - and possibly other locos - some have transfers for the lining and this comes off before anything else.
If you intend to modify/ improve it I would suggest that you replace the front bogie (top priority but remember that you won't get it round sharp curves) add buffer beam detail, discs, fall plate, ash pan detail (not on the ones I have on flickr) and replace the coal in the tender for the real thing.
If you can tolerate the generic nature of the beast you can also change it to a WC or BB. If not the you will soon realise the shortcomings of the original and  that any attempt to put things right will probably need to think about building a new one from scratch.

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 06:11:06 PM »
Thanks honk, I have a couple of bogies from Nick at Nbrass to get fitted, I have new plates from Fox for her and technically to be on our layout shes along way from her own shed so will be weathered to represent her long journey!!

I did wander whether to file all the moulded handrail off and fit new, but only if im going for a full repaint. That part doesn't scare me but the re-lining of her afterwards i know will not go well.

@Dr Al performs these sort of miracles on a daily basis however my patience and skill will run out long before I get to that point. I was toying with the idea of renumbering a new farish unrebuilt MN to a BoB, save me waiting for Dapol and the 15th of Never

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 06:40:22 PM »
Do not be tempted to varnish the weathering.

I would only partly agree with this. It's true if using powders. But if you weather by airbrush as I do, the opposite is true - you need a hard protection matt varnish layer as the airbrushed weathering is so thin, there's a risk of handling wear otherwise.

The last MN I did had many of the stated improvements, as well as weathering, matt varnished.

Cheers,
Alan

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:44:53 PM »
The usual mind blowing high standard Alan  :claphappy:

Have you replaced the smoke deflectors as well???

Just out of interest, where the hell do you get the proper steam SR route discs from ??? Id love about 100 of them but can't find anything other then the diesel loco ones.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:46:42 PM »
No, but separate handrails were added to the deflectors.

The disks are Farish ones, some are supplied with the N Class and 3MT models.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 06:50:58 PM »
Depending on the varnish type it can be T-Cut to take away the shine and any lumps and bumps.  You have to do it very carefully with cotton ear buds.

Offline martyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 07:54:18 PM »
BH Enterprises supply SR style route indicating discs.

Martyn

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:48:29 PM »
Well close to an hour spent with T Cut and cotton  buds and absolutely no impression made on this stuff.

They must of used Ronseal 10year yacht varnish or something. It's not even taken the shine off, if anything it's made it glossed  :veryangry: why did I buy this!!!!

I'm hoping that it will weather down and dullcote will adhere to it without it all going wrong!

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 11:01:55 PM »
Well close to an hour spent with T Cut and cotton  buds and absolutely no impression made on this stuff.

They must of used Ronseal 10year yacht varnish or something. It's not even taken the shine off, if anything it's made it glossed  :veryangry: why did I buy this!!!!

I'm hoping that it will weather down and dullcote will adhere to it without it all going wrong!

In that case they have used polyurethane varnish and if they have there is a way to get it off enamel paint but I have forgotten how. Can anyone help here.

Polyurethane varnish coats it does not bond, so is a skin to be removed.

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 11:06:56 PM »
That sounds like im going to have a window of opportunity so small it will either magically succeed and it'll be like a snake shedding a perfect skin or im going to end up with a bare metal loco.

Either way ill have to try because im not convinced ill get anything to adhere to it, it's like glass.

Definitely brush applied i can see the strokes

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 11:16:49 PM »
Probably used yacht varnish.   

If you have any caustic oven cleaner it might be worth trying on a bit that cannot be seen.

No solvent that wont attack the paint will work on polyurethane varnish but a caustic solution might, but it will soften the underlying paint for a while. 

To remove it (and everything else) equal parts of lacquer thinner and denatured alcohol is recommended.

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 11:25:45 PM »
Thanks @Snowwolflair if im feeling brave enough ill give it a whirl tomorrow and report back.

Shocking how some people treat their models really.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £327.00
Above Goal: £272.00
Site Currency: GBP
595% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything