!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

What do you think of this model?

Superb
2 (8%)
Good
9 (36%)
OK
11 (44%)
Poor
2 (8%)
Terrible
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Graham Farish - Class 47's - From 1980's  (Read 8884 times)

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
Graham Farish - Class 47's - From 1980's
« on: January 22, 2011, 08:05:34 PM »
 :NGaugeForum:

Offline tadpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
Re: Graham Farish - Class 47's - From 1980's
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »
I have six of these in various liveries (green SYWP, blue, IC, ScotRail, NSE, RR respray), and I have had most of them for 25+ years.

Despite neglib... negligibib... almost zero maintenance, they all run really well, although some are noisy.

I'd like to buy some new livery variations, but am loath to spend £80 or whatever on new locos c/w chassis, when all my existing chassis run so well.
And of course Chinese bodies don't fit on Poole chassis. (Chassises?)

I have just the one Chinese one (green with full yellow ends), and whilst the body/livery application is superior, it does sit rather high on its chassis which detracts very slightly from its appearance.
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »
Despite neglib... negligibib... almost zero maintenance, they all run really well, although some are noisy.

They can be made to run smoother and more quietly with proper overhaul - they probably are crying out for this if you've not done any maintenance on them....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Muppetman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22542
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 11:23:18 PM »
I have six of these in various liveries (green SYWP, blue, IC, ScotRail, NSE, RR respray), and I have had most of them for 25+ years

I'd like to buy some new livery variations, but am loath to spend £80 or whatever on new locos c/w chassis, when all my existing chassis run so well.
And of course Chinese bodies don't fit on Poole chassis.

Have you tried eBay, you can pick 474 or 612 up for between £30 & £50, either new or used, l bought about 4, the latter 47 models sit lower and look better.
Cheers

Offline simonprelude

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 10:55:54 AM »
I've got a railfreight triple grey body somewhere, used to run it on my Poole class 37 chassis if anyone is interested I'll list it for sale.

Offline simonprelude

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 11:08:16 AM »
Just seen a 47's from the 90's thread as well, so mine might well be that......

Offline Agrippa

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 03:50:51 PM »
My Poole made "Track 29" makes a growling noise, but runs well. Sounds like it's been fitted for sound!
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 12:09:47 PM »
I'm having a batch of old Graham Farrish Class 47s, in various liveries, overhauled at BRLines and some will be surplus to requirements (now new models can be picked up much cheaper) so if you want to add to your stock (and see how a refurbished model runs in comparison with your never-been-serviced ones), please, send me a private message.

ParkeNd

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 01:06:10 PM »
The Minitrix 47's run like a Rolls Royce if you are considering eBay. Used to have two.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 03:50:01 PM »
I'm having a batch of old Graham Farrish Class 47s, in various liveries, overhauled at BRLines and some will be surplus to requirements (now new models can be picked up much cheaper) so if you want to add to your stock (and see how a refurbished model runs in comparison with your never-been-serviced ones), please, send me a private message.

You have a PM, Chris :thumbsup:

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »
The Minitrix 47's run like a Rolls Royce if you are considering eBay. Used to have two.
ParkeNd you keep singing the praises of the minitrix ones.
I have one in all blue with large logo the "Queen Mother". I was going to Falconise it but thanks to EP I now think I should look for a green body to make it more suitable for my pre 66 era.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 04:40:52 PM »
I HAD wondered about the Minitrix Class 47s that go for good prices on eBay. I had assumed that they were not very good models even if they ran very well as Minitrix locos do. (I had a Minitrix Class 27 and Class 42 Warship.)

ParkeNd

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 11:39:27 PM »
ParkeNd you keep singing the praises of the minitrix ones.
I have one in all blue with large logo the "Queen Mother". I was going to Falconise it but thanks to EP I now think I should look for a green body to make it more suitable for my pre 66 era.

Must confess to a long term liking of old Minitrix. Back when I originally dabbled with N gauge (1994?) Farish was pre-Bachmann and a little plain compared with Minitrix. I must admit that the wheel arrangements of Brit outline on German chassis look pretty odd now on locos like the Minitrix Ivatt 2MT but at the time Minitrix A1, A3, A4 were pretty hard to walk away from in a train shop. The two Class 47s I had ran so well that they upstaged the steam locos.

My profound apologies for mentioning Minitrix to anyone who grew up in the age of Bachmann and Dapol. I won't do it again - even should I remember that I got more for my Minitrix locos when I sold them than when they were new.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 04:30:54 PM »
I still have some Minitrix bits - the 47 pulls the track cleaning train which is more than much of the modern stuff can do.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 06:08:32 PM »
Hmm, looks like I should buy a Minitrix Class 47, then, but where to send them for servicing / repair? Back in the 1970s I sent my old Class 27 model to Minitrix for a full service and it came back as good as new. My Minitrix Class 42 was run long enough to ever need servicing.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal