New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tarff to Kirkcudbright  (Read 380 times)

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
Tarff to Kirkcudbright
« on: March 19, 2018, 02:58:14 PM »
Well after posting in layout planning I thought I would start a topic and put some filling to the layout. I became interested in the south west Scotland area last year when I moved to Dumfries. I looked at stations still being used and started planning a layout for it. But then change of minds kicked in and then we decided to move again to where i am now Carlisle. Just after Christmas I decide to purchase 'The Port Road' by Andrew F Swann. It is a highly detailed book but what peaked my interest was the layout and building plans the book has in it. So after a good read I got a shortlist of stations and Tarff was the one that caught my eye.
Tarff was just a small station on the Kirkcudbright branch, to be honest it looks most unremarkable but the stories told in the book is what made it interesting. The married couples running for the train after their wedding and then the off loading of Churchill tanks in the war, with the bridge baring scares of knocks by the tanks brought the station to life for me. So, once this was my basis the choice was where else would make sense. Kirkcudbright was chosen as being the terminus on the branch it made the most sense. Castle Douglas was considered, and could possibly be used but for now Kirkcudbright is poll position. With the nearby Tongland Power Station, the area will make a great scene to model.
The track plan below is nearly there. I am sure there may be a tweak here and there, and if Castle Douglas suddenly makes more sense then things might change.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
Re: Tarff to Kirkcudbright
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 07:08:24 PM »
I forgot to ask a question. Was going to use the bridge in Kirkcudbright to make a scenic break over the river. Only slight problem is it measures 80cm, any ideas what I could do?

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 08:45:50 PM »
I canít remember how many spans there are on the Kirkcudbrightshire bridge but you just cut the number of spans, you donít need them all. 3 would do. Alternatively you shrink them. On my big water of fleet viaduct the spans are about 2/3 size and I might be a pier or two short. The effect and feel is what you are after, not the whole thing.
Incidentally my username on here is derived from Kirkcudbright😎
Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 06:03:26 PM »
Well things are on slow as decided to remove a wardrobe in the train room and add some shelves so I can display some railway and military memorabilia. Doesn't directly impact the layout but thought I would get it done before I get started. In the meantime going to make up one board like Newport did and see how it looks.
Did go to my very first auction to hopefully get some memorabilia, got a couple of bits. Had some n gauge stuff there as well, but seemed to go for big money. Even a q gaugemaster went for £90, can get them on eBay for less.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 06:07:07 PM by barneyadi »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything