!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wookery  (Read 223858 times)

Offline Bob Wild

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wookery
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2014, 01:00:16 AM »
I got the point motors working

Have you got all of them working with the light switches? That seems to me be the most sensitive with respect to the position. I found that the easiest solution was to make a couple of saw cuts in the motor from each end, thus turning the mounting holes into slots. You could then use fine adjustment to get them exactly in the right position. Once you achieve this, everything is hunky-dory.

Bob

PS I used a temporary LED before I had the mimic panel that could easily be attached to each point conector block so that I could move the motor back and forth until it lit up correctly.

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2014, 08:00:26 AM »
No I haven't got the LEDs working yet, I was just intent on getting the motors up and running. I'll buy a few more motors and then start installing switches and LEDs on the mimic board. The LEDs have to be on a separate power supply as they have to have a resistor in the circuit or they will blow, but I don't want a reduced power output to the motors!

Offline Bob Wild

• Awards
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »
No I haven't got the LEDs working yet, I was just intent on getting the motors up and running. I'll buy a few more motors and then start installing switches and LEDs on the mimic board. The LEDs have to be on a separate power supply as they have to have a resistor in the circuit or they will blow, but I don't want a reduced power output to the motors!

Yes, me too re power supply. I mounted the resistors on a small piece of pcb - you can just about make them out on this link to my construction thread (reply 37) http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18410.30

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2014, 10:57:19 AM »
I love the panels on your controllers Bob, how did you produce those?

Offline Bob Wild

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2014, 11:40:29 AM »
I love the panels on your controllers Bob, how did you produce those?
I made the frame from some beech I had left over from another job and fixed some 6mm ply on top. The diagrams were drawn with MS Paint and then printed onto light card with holes cut for the LED's using a leather punch. These lined up with holes drilled into the plywood. They were then covered with some acrylic sheet which, again, I had left over from another job (I hoard stuff better than a squirrel). I would have preferred to do just one panel, but that would have been enormous, so with a bit of juggling I ended up with three.

Bob

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2014, 02:30:47 PM »
It looks very nice Bob.
Mine will have two control boxes too, but I think that they will only have drawn lines, or maybe insulating tape tracks.

I know that you lot like pictures of trains, so here are some of my new engines......

The baby warship passes the 101 DMU at the station.

A bevy of beautiful Westerns on parade.

The Wookery Preservation Society are working the preserved branch line today.

The new class 14 shunts a siphon van

A new 08 diesel shunts the wagon out again.
I bought this new at an exhibition last Sunday, THEN found out that a 14 would be more appropriate for my Bristol area-based layout!
So the 08 may be going on eBay, haven't made my mind up yet

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2014, 02:48:56 PM »
Looks great. Good to see so many WR hydraulics. The Class 22 looks the part.
I think the 08 is fine for Bristol area but the number is wrong !
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2014, 07:26:34 AM »
Very nice pictures. A green Class 03 (as well as a Class 08) with a D series number would also be appropriate for the Bristol area.

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2014, 04:58:34 PM »
Well, after 3 solid days of hard slog with a soldering iron, I'm feeling quite chuffed with myself  :D
Remember the cat's cradle of my wiring after I'd wired the power bus?

I had been so intent on making sure the droppers reached the bus, a lot of them were far too long, and it didn't occur to me to shorten them as I soldered them on!  :goggleeyes:
Once I started wiring the point motors (6 wires per motor) I realised that I was gonna have a major problem so I went through and shortened all the droppers and resoldered it all.

All 11 points in the station area are now working from toggle switches on the control panel and just look at the difference now!

Next job is to build the box backing for the control panel, and then try to get all the LED route indicators working........... :(

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2014, 05:02:04 PM »
A highly impressive piece of work of which i am seriously in awe.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2014, 06:55:11 PM »
Nice bit of "elecktrickery" there and looks pretty tidy. Well done.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2014, 06:56:11 PM »
Can't wait to see the progress here, it's going to be lovely, but you wiring is making me green (the proper colour!) with envy :)

Graham

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »
Well it's another big  :thankyousign: to whiteswan for the advice about packing out the point motors.
I just connected the first pair of LED's to a motor and they worked first time!
Look brilliant too.
woohoo!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2014, 11:48:26 AM »
Well it's another big  :thankyousign: to whiteswan for the advice about packing out the point motors.
I just connected the first pair of LED's to a motor and they worked first time!
Look brilliant too.
woohoo!

Excellent news. You're inspiring me to hope that I could also motorise my points, too! 8-)

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2014, 03:01:06 PM »
Here you go Chris, if a complete novice like me with big clumsy (and shaky) hands can manage it, anybody can!

130 solders later (2 x 25 pin connectors and 1 x 15 pin, both pieces) it's all done!
Actually it was a lot more than that as I had done a load before I discovered heat shrink, and so redid them  :goggleeyes:

Tip: get in the habit of putting the heat shrink on the wire before you start, even if it is unconnected at the other end, because if you don't sods law says that the one you forget will be already soldered at the other end!
Sods law number two says that when you forget to put the HS on first, the wire will solder brilliantly first time, but when you go to re-solder it with the HS it will be an absolute  :censored: !!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything