New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wookery  (Read 211578 times)

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
Re: Wookery
« Reply #1470 on: January 12, 2018, 02:48:52 PM »
As I said before Mike really nice work.  I have started using Brassmasters windows with my scalescenes kits they look even better.  Trouble is I tried to order a load of them before Christmas and my emails went unanswered...   :veryangry:

Jon Wiffen (Scalescenes) has stated that he intends to make his own pre printed windows this year.  That means we will be able to have white window frames which will be an improvement on the black.  Meanwhile I have 3 x rows of 12 terraces all with the origanal black framed windows and I think they look fine.

Oh love the use of the "second hand" items out on the pavement.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Online wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #1471 on: January 12, 2018, 04:19:43 PM »
Thanks for your kind words Jerry.
I will be eternally grateful to Nick for introducing me to Scalescenes after I bought some of his low relief buildings. I tried one, and immediately scrapped nearly all my plastic ones! I don't like Metcalfe, especially the flat one piece roofs, they look awful, and you see them on virtually every exhibition layout.
I'm now starting to gain a bit of confidence, enough to kitbash them a bit to make them look slightly different, less like a kit.

Online wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1472 on: January 14, 2018, 12:07:54 PM »
This factory/warehouse/mill/whatever is going to take even longer than I thought!
I was planning on building it 1.5 times longer than the basic model, with an extra floor level. It has taken me three x half days work just to build the floors and roof, with all the floor joists and supports there are to do. Now I have had a measure up and realised that I am going to need an EXTRA three floors for it to do the cover-up job that I need :(
I have already printed about 30 pages of parts, I am going to need a lot, lot more for the complicated wall sections......
Oh well, it will keep me out of mischief I guess.
Without a doubt, the most complicated build I have attempted to date.
I would have loved to have built it L shaped, but I think that would be a bridge too far  :smiley-laughing:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1473 on: January 14, 2018, 11:45:12 PM »
 :hellosign: Thanks for the updates Mike,   :greatpicturessign: Your street scene looks brilliant & can`t wait for the large mill
      regards Derek.

Online wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1474 on: January 17, 2018, 11:48:24 AM »

OMG! What have I done?
Slap me in a strait jacket and get me committed QUICK!

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1475 on: January 17, 2018, 12:20:53 PM »

Tetris?

Offline Gary Burcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 26212
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1476 on: January 17, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »
I have built a row of 3 storey town houses, but I wasn't overly keen on the black window frames.  I bought a fine white paint pen from Freestone Models (they are local to me) and lined the windows in situ and I like them so much more.  In future I will line the windows on the sheet prior to fitting.

Go on Wookie, it shouldn't be too difficult to make the warehouse L shaped, not with your skills!

Online wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1477 on: January 17, 2018, 03:09:55 PM »
Go on Wookie, it shouldn't be too difficult to make the warehouse L shaped, not with your skills!

You have more confidence in me than I do!
I'm already having problems due to the complexity of it.
I think it's quite a hard one to build even if you are just doing the basic model.
I seem to be printing SO MANY sheets off as I keep finding I need a couple of extra bits and have to print the whole page.....I'm hoping that the rest of the pages will get used later!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1478 on: January 18, 2018, 09:04:27 AM »
Well, that will keep you out of mischief until the weather improves!  :D
Looking forward to what promises to be a great build.

Online wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1479 on: January 22, 2018, 04:42:53 PM »
Sorry guys, but I can only repeat....OMG! What have I done?

Three solid days of slog, working all day, and I have put together 8 of the 10 ground floor level outer walls needed - the other 2 sections will have large doors instead of windows.

I have also completed 8 upper floor walls, the ones with small windows. These section are made up of THIRTEEN individual parts that all have to be carefully cut out and glued together.

All of these sections still need to have internal butresses and window sills fitted.

Sadly, I have just worked it out and realised that I need to build SIXTY of the upper sections  :(

OMG! What have I done?

Offline Gary Burcombe

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1480 on: January 22, 2018, 05:06:49 PM »
That's going to be one impressive edifice for sure!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1481 on: January 22, 2018, 05:59:23 PM »
You'll manage it, Mike. Slow but steady. It will be well worth it.

Online wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1482 on: January 23, 2018, 06:59:17 PM »
Well I almost gave myself a heart attack today!
I was looking ahead through the instructions and suddenly realised that these wall sections are two floors high!
I had visions of having to build another seven flooring sections to get the required height  :(

So, it was a very fast dash out into the train room to take measurements and work out what is needed. Luckily my first estimates for height were correct, so the number of wall sections needed has dropped from 60 to 30  :claphappy:
I'd already printed a load which won't be needed now, but it's worth it for the time saved. Thank heavens I realised before making up 60 of them!  ::)

Offline Gary Burcombe

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1483 on: January 24, 2018, 06:28:01 AM »
With the extra wall sections already printed, there is no reason why you can't make the "L" shape warehouse you originally planned.  Go on, do it, go on go on go on go on.

Online wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1484 on: January 24, 2018, 08:56:27 AM »
I already am - look at the photo of the floor and roof sections at the top of this page  :laughabovepost:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here