New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 40112 times)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)
« Reply #480 on: August 19, 2018, 10:51:13 AM »
I'm busy with all sorts of things but finding the odd hour to fiddle with the layout.  Still slowly working through my stock box bringing various items up to current standards (latest spec Magpie couplers and 7.65mm back to backs).  Here are a couple of new arrivals.

The N15 has featured on the forum before.  It started life as a plastic-bodied Farish GP tank, but little enough remains that I think I can reasonably call it scratchbuilt.  First time round I ran into all kinds of issues getting the thing to run, and I gave up on it for a while.  But I have now sorted its issues which turned out to be three separate faults all interacting with each other (quartering out on the front axle, one coupling rod very slightly bent, and the end of a crankpin catching on the side steps) and it now runs exceptionally well.  N15s were useful and long-lived engines but seldom ventured out of the central Scotland industrial belt and this one is well out of place at Longframlington.  I have however seen far more outrageous applications of Rule One, and it doesn't look entirely unhappy in rural Northumberland. A North Eastern N10 might be slightly more plausible though.

Coupled to it is a slope sided Diagram 1/100 mineral wagon which have always fascinated me for some reason.  This is a repainted Farish wagon bought cheap, and for which I was amazed to find I had a set of transfers.  They have four-digit or five numbers given to them by the Ministry of War Transport, to which BR added a B prefix.  This one is B4566. They were designed by Chas Roberts pre-war for private owner use, and built in large numbers by various wagon builders as a standard wartime design.  All gone by 1967 and make a change from the usual flat-sided 16 tonner.

I couldn't resist this Ford Thames van in BR livery from Oxford Diecast.  The wheels have been painted black and the whole thing given a coat of matt varnish as with all the road vehicles.  Gloss finish doesn't work in N gauge in my opinion, glossy things just look wrong. I also acquired a Ford Anglia, maroon with a grey roof, just like the one my Dad owned around the time I had my first N gauge layout in the mid Seventies. That's probably enough vehicles.

I can't remember where I read about using wine corks for track cleaning but it has changed my life.  This is a brand new cork after just one pass, on track that had been cleaned about a week previously.  What is this grey stuff and where does it come from?

Richard

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #481 on: August 19, 2018, 11:10:31 AM »
Where do I get wine corks from?

Everything here is screwtops!

Mind you, it is cheap wine!  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #482 on: August 19, 2018, 11:19:55 AM »

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #483 on: August 19, 2018, 11:20:15 AM »
 :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #484 on: August 19, 2018, 10:39:23 PM »
With Longfram now booked for an exhibition (although not until next summer) I am thinking about building some proper supports. At the moment it is on three 12" tall trestles on the dining table. Straight away I run into the height problem.  For your average adult spectator it wants to be about four feet off the ground, but this makes it inaccessible to smaller children and the wheelchair-bound.  So I had an idea...

Keep the trestles, and plonk the layout onto a sub-board around 5' x 2'6", on which there is another layout running underneath the main one.  This will be a rather less serious affair than Longframlington - narrow gauge (possibly O-16.5) with trains popping in and out of tunnels, and a theme to appeal to children and adults with a sense of humour.  There is a Hobbit-themed layout in this month's RM which is sort of what I have in mind. Rivet counters will probably find little to hold their interest.  Automatic control so I can just set it running and ignore it.  Has anyone seen this kind of thing done before?

Richard

Richard

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #485 on: August 20, 2018, 06:35:40 AM »
That sounds like an excellent solution! 
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #486 on: August 20, 2018, 06:57:15 AM »
Yes, one used to appear at exhibitions here during the nineties. Unfortunately I forget it's name and owner, but it was a frivolous little layout, fully automatic, and very popular with both kids and adults alike.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #487 on: August 20, 2018, 09:40:42 AM »
There is a Hobbit-themed layout in this month's RM

That would be forum member Bridgiesimon's layout Hobbiton End

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=42174.msg521776#msg521776

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #488 on: August 22, 2018, 07:46:22 AM »

Another wagon joins the fleet - a BR gunpowder van, Dapol bought cheap unboxed and repainted.  It needs the roof redoing:  I had problems with some poor quality Humbrol grey paint which took about a fortnight to dry and even then looked terrible.  This van has brought blasting explosives for the local quarry. I have been reading the rules for dealing with explosives traffic - should be marshalled in the middle of a train, at least two wagons (non-exploding) between it and the loco, not to be unloaded inside goods sheds, not to be loose shunted.

While I had the camera out I thought I would have a wander round  the station and take a few pictures.

Richard

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #489 on: August 22, 2018, 08:05:17 AM »
More great pics of a great layout!  :thumbsup:

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #490 on: August 22, 2018, 08:06:58 AM »
There is a Hobbit-themed layout in this month's RM

That would be forum member Bridgiesimon's layout Hobbiton End

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=42174.msg521776#msg521776

Yep, had a quick look at that today. Looks good, doesn't it!

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #491 on: September 12, 2018, 10:12:23 AM »
Quick update: Longfram is alive and well and has survived a house move with only a couple of broken bits.  It is however very difficult to transport, partly because the boards are so heavy and partly because of all the electrics, turnout operating mechanisms etc sticking out underneath. I really need to look at that aspect before it goes to any exhibitions.

I have started on my next loco bashing project (bodging a Poole Farish 4F into an approximation of an ex NB J37) which has had some knock-on effects.  Although the wheels on the 4F look fairly fine profile (it is a late production example with blackened wheels) it wouldn't run smoothly through all my pointwork however much I fiddled with back to backs.  I was already aware that there were a few spots where the gauge was a bit narrow, mostly on the old pointwork at the station throat, so I got out the soldering iron and spent an hour making minor adjustments.  The 4F now runs everywhere at any speed without derailing, so I can get on with making a new cab and firebox, extending the front frames and replacing the straight tender tops with curved ones.  Like my previous efforts (2P, J27, N15) it will be somewhat inaccurate but hopefully the proportions will be about right which is what really matters from normal viewing distances.

Richard

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #492 on: September 12, 2018, 01:47:36 PM »
... the proportions will be about right which is what really matters from normal viewing distances.

Richard

Hear, hear! I can never get too close to a model when I'm building it, but after that I aim to keep at least 12 inches away - from a scale ~50 yards off, exact dimensions and small details are lost in the bigger picture.

Mike

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #493 on: October 01, 2018, 10:40:55 AM »
Many thanks for the updates, Richard, which I, unaccountably, missed. The video is perfect.

The Class 21 looks a nice, unusual model. I look forward to an update as you wrote you plan to do some more work on it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:45:28 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything