!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - American N  (Read 57043 times)

Offline Intercity

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - American N
« Reply #555 on: September 12, 2019, 12:42:26 AM »
Thanks for the lowdown on the Macs, for quite a while when I moved here I thought they all looked the same, an SD50, 60 or 70 I was lost, then came along stuff with radiator flares and that had me looking up numbers to figure out what I’d seen, I’m sure for many across the pond it is the same way.

Having said that many of the enthusiasts I work with here can’t tell the difference between a 37, 45 or Deltic, or a 47, 50 and a 56, so the “they all look the same” works both ways.

Alas I’ve drifted off topic and cease any more rambling
Support crowdfunding - it’s the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, let’s make it happen.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #556 on: September 12, 2019, 12:18:45 PM »
Having said that many of the enthusiasts I work with here can’t tell the difference between a 37, 45 or Deltic, or a 47, 50 and a 56, so the “they all look the same” works both ways.

You are 100% correct as I struggle to tell the difference between the different classes of UK diesel locomotives. To add to that list are the UK steam locomotive classes. It starts to get really confusing when you have 4-6-0 steam locomotives in different classes and then you find out Charles Collett designed both the Hall Class and Castle Class.  I do understand having difficulties distinguishing a SD50 from a SD60 as they do look identical. Only after comparing them both side by side, you'll begin to notice the small differences in hood door heights and placement. Internally, something most fans never get to see, the SD50 was the last locomotive to use the EMD 645 diesel engine and the SD60 was the first to use the EMD 710 diesel engine. Which on a side note, both engine blocks look identical, although there are internal differences that set them apart.  Yes, we've drifted way off topic, it was a fun chat, but now back to our regularly scheduled topic  :D

Here is my latest purchase, a brand new Digitrax DT500 throttle purchased at the Altoona N scale show for a very good price.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #557 on: September 12, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
The day has arrived!
The first rollingstock of 2019!!  :laugh3:

An Atlas FGE boxcar! :claphappy:
My brother-in-law gave me this.
There is a reason behind of it but it's a long story.
Just say, I black mail him and he felt pity on me.  :smiley-laughing:

With this rollingstock, my dream came true!
I can see rivets!!
Finally I became a Rivet counter!!
I really don't care how many rivets on real cars but important thing is I'm actually counting the rivets for no reason!  :laughabovepost:
With my obnoxious personality, I officially became a Rivet counter! :claphappy:
Amazing how far N size trains improved.

My collecor spirit is on fire!
I'd like to get a Micro trains 50' SP Hydra Cushion boxcar without roofwalk next.
You know, the one you can open the doors.
I've seen it on eBay for around $9 brfore but I don't see them anymore.
It's really expensive now.
(Or maybe I'm hallucinating again)

Dats

Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Offline gc4946

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
« Reply #558 on: September 12, 2019, 08:27:50 PM »
Sometimes months pass without buying any rolling stock, especially Cotton Belt models.
The fact I've refused to buy models from websites abroad due to postage costs means it's stopped me from owning so much stock in my collection.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #559 on: September 12, 2019, 09:13:40 PM »
214 rivets Dats.

Just thought I'd save you a job.

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #560 on: September 12, 2019, 09:24:29 PM »
214 rivets

Just thought I'd save you a job.

Does that include the blind rivets?  :-X
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #561 on: September 12, 2019, 10:31:49 PM »
You guys put me on!
You know that I can't count more than three.  :dunce:

:laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing:

Dats
FYI: Actual truth is not far from the statement.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:34:00 PM by dats475, Reason: The truth added. »
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #562 on: September 12, 2019, 10:41:59 PM »
The day has arrived!

Dats

Hi Dats, I'm glad to see Mr Rhythm has fallen for the black mail scheme, I mean given you a very nice gift  :smiley-laughing:  That is a very nice looking Espee 50’ insulated boxcar.  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Rich S.

Online Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #563 on: September 12, 2019, 10:43:01 PM »
The day has arrived!

An Atlas FGE boxcar! :claphappy:
My brother-in-law gave me this.
There is a reason behind of it but it's a long story.
Just say, I black mail him and he felt pity on me.  :smiley-laughing:

With this rollingstock, my dream came true!
I can see rivets!!
Finally I became a Rivet counter!!
I really don't care how many rivets on real cars but important thing is I'm actually counting the rivets for no reason!  :laughabovepost:
With my obnoxious personality, I officially became a Rivet counter! :claphappy:

My collecor spirit is on fire!
I'd like to get a Micro trains 50' SP Hydra Cushion boxcar without roofwalk next.
You know, the one you can open the doors.
I've seen it on eBay for around $9 brfore but I don't see them anymore.
It's really expensive now.
(Or maybe I'm hallucinating again)

Dats

Buying rolling stock gets kinda addicting... I've already been looking at stuff online and I probably shouldn't be.

Online Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #564 on: September 13, 2019, 06:56:41 PM »
In the mail today...an A-B-A set of Monon F3 units by Intermountain. These will go well with the small collection of Monon diesels I already have.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #565 on: September 13, 2019, 08:23:15 PM »
In the mail today...an A-B-A set of Monon F3 units by Intermountain. These will go well with the small collection of Monon diesels I already have.

Very nice Jeff. The Chicago, Indianapolis, and Louisville Railway was a unique railway, it almost made a giant "X" across the state of Indiana.
It was also one of the few railroads to have a theme song.

Another unique feature of the Monon, they painted several of their locomotives and most notably their F3's in the school colors of the two universities served by the railroad

• Purdue (Black & Gold)
  • Indiana University (Crimson & Gray)

Yes, I'm a closet Monon fan, does it show  :smiley-laughing:

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #566 on: September 13, 2019, 09:16:46 PM »
Speaking of items arriving in the mail today. I received my Micro-Trains 50th Anniversary collectors car today.

It's a 50' gold boxcar hauling a giant knuckle coupler as seen through the door in the photo below.

This car celebrates 50 years since Keith and Dale Edwards created their HO and later N scale coupler that changed the hobby world.
Their couplers have now become the defacto standard for knuckle type couplers. A true testament to the quality we've come to expect from Micro-Trains. 

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #567 on: September 13, 2019, 10:11:00 PM »
 :offtopicsign: :sorrysign:

I don't want to divert this thread for too long, but can any quickly (~20 words) explain why Micro-Trains aren't available with NEM fitting? :confused2:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #568 on: September 13, 2019, 11:36:35 PM »
:offtopicsign: :sorrysign:

I don't want to divert this thread for too long, but can any quickly (~20 words) explain why Micro-Trains aren't available with NEM fitting? :confused2:

I believe the answer is in the name NEM (Normen Europäischer Modellbahnen) translated to English: Standards of European Model Railways. In the USA the Micro-Trains coupler has become the defacto standard. The various manufactures who sell locomotives and rolling stock in the US have designed couplers (Accumate, McHenery and Kato) that are compatible with Micro-Trains knuckle style couplers. Since all railroad in North America use the knuckle or Janney coupler, there is not a need for a different style coupler. Also of note, very few locomotives or pieces of rolling stock in the USA ship today with Rapido style couplers. Also of importance, Micro-Trains have created conversion couplers to use in older locomotives and rolling stock that came equipped with Rapido couplers. These conversion couplers fit the older Rapido coupler boxes. Since the majority of locomotives and rolling stock now ship with Micro-Trains or Micro-Trains compatible couplers, there is not a real need for a NEM style coupler pocket. I do believe Dapol sells a Micro-Trains compatible coupler with a NEM fitting.  Sorry for the long winded explanation, but I didn't think a 20 word answer would suffice.   

Cheers,
Rich S.

Online Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #569 on: September 14, 2019, 12:31:39 AM »

Very nice Jeff. The Chicago, Indianapolis, and Louisville Railway was a unique railway, it almost made a giant "X" across the state of Indiana.
It was also one of the few railroads to have a theme song.

Another unique feature of the Monon, they painted several of their locomotives and most notably their F3's in the school colors of the two universities served by the railroad

• Purdue (Black & Gold)
  • Indiana University (Crimson & Gray)

Yes, I'm a closet Monon fan, does it show  :smiley-laughing:

I think I'm up to 14 Monon locomotives in N scale, all in the Black & Gold scheme. Picked up 11 diesels earlier this year from a friend along with a few cabooses and baggage cars. Need to buy rolling stock as I think I only have one Monon boxcar in my collection! Ebay doesn't have much in the way of Monon.

There's a Monon BL2 15 minutes down the road from me at the Kentucky Railway Museum, I've ridden behind it at least once.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything