New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Rare Earth Magnets for Dapol Couplings  (Read 9758 times)

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
Re: Rare Earth Magnets for Dapol Couplings
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 02:33:22 PM »
You need north up on one side of the track and south pole up on the other. It does not matter which way round you put them as long as they are consistent.

One other possibility is to fit bar magnets between the sleepers. This would be easier as they already have north at one end and south at the other but I have not found anywhere selling them the right size. They would need to be 3mm wide, 2mm deep and long enough to fit between the sleep webbing (probably about 7mm).
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline mr magnolia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »
Sadly those ones will not work.  :(

Although they are the right size and shape, the poles are on the long faces instead of at the ends where they would need to be to operate the Dapol couplers.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline geoffc

• N Gauge Society Number: 24557
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 05:25:30 PM »
I used the rare earth magnets and they worked fine with stock that already had NEM pockets. BUT when I fitted the adaptor kit to the bogies to the GF 100 ton tankers and the EWS HTAs due to the vertical slop in the conversion pockets and the bogie pivot plus the length of the coupling the leverage was enough to tip the coupling down and it would jam the actuating arm  in the sleepers when reversing. I ended up gluing the coupling into the inner pocket and then fitting it into the conversion pocket. So you may have to adjust the couplings so that they do not jam when reversing over the magnets.

Geoff

Offline mr magnolia

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 11:32:46 PM »
Sadly those ones will not work.  :(

Although they are the right size and shape, the poles are on the long faces instead of at the ends where they would need to be to operate the Dapol couplers.

oh bum! I'll have a better search through the 22 pages of magnets available in due course...

I've got some cylindrical magnets from that website that 'almost' fit the bill - but they are (I think) 2.5mm diameter, which makes them just a little too high, without going through the pain of carving out a little niche for them - see this post that youve likely seen before anyhoo!

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=20455.msg209603#msg209603

Offline JeffPreston

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 12:50:22 PM »
Hello,

I used 3mm x 2mm circular rare earth magnets on my layout. Here is the post detailing how I fitted them.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48728-dapol-easi-shunt-magnetic-couplings-in-n/?p=569182

For fine tuning the trip pins, check out this post.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48728-dapol-easi-shunt-magnetic-couplings-in-n/?p=570075

Hi Karhedron:

As I understand things, you 've got it all working   :claphappy:  and I am just now testing my very first pair of Dapol EasiShut couplers by mounting them in a Dapol wagon with NEM pockets. I found this source...
http://e-magnetsuk.com/magnet_products/neodymium_magnets/circular_disc_magnets.aspx?Keyword=EP392

Can you tell me if that is what you used - and if not - where you got yours?

Any reason to think this would not work with Peco Code 80 wooden sleeper flex track?

Any problems with unintentional uncoupling?

Many thanks for your help!

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 02:21:58 PM »
Those magnets look exactly like the ones I use and I suspect they will work just the same. I got mine on eBay but I did not make a note of the seller.

It should work just as well with code 80 track as with code 55. The one thing I would check is the sleeper thickness on the code 80. Code 55 has a sleeper depth of ~2mm which means these magnets are just perfect to tuck between them without sticking up. Might be worth checking to make sure the code 80 is not significantly thinner.

Offline rhysapthomas

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 03:14:34 PM »
Code 80 flexitrack sleepers are about 2.1mm

I must try the 2mm deed magnets I tried some 10mm deep ones by drilling a 2mm hole between the sleepers but I think they are too powerful

Offline JeffPreston

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 05:12:01 PM »
Excellent - thanks for your help!

I'll be trying them!

I've just managed to get the Easi-Shunt into my new Dapol Fruit D and Dapol Hymek and they work fine - (uncouple over magnet and do not uncouple when pulled) -   :laugh3: except for delayed coupling.   :doh:

I can only push without coupling when still over the magnet.   >:(

I'm using a Dapol magnet between the rails (sleepers removed).

Offline T-TRAK_Andrew

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 03:13:54 AM »
G'day Folks, rather than start a new thread I thought that I would add in my own recent magnetic uncoupling adventures to this thread. I operate using Microtrains couplers rather than Dapol's version, hopefully they should respond the same way.
First off, my drop away magnetic uncoupler can be seen on YouTube at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV8shkYND38
with two other videos that show the detail of the operation.
For Sadler's Sidings I was not able to cut out the holes needed for the drop away and so experimented using some 2.5/3mm diameter bolts reaching up through the baseboard with some rare earth magnets mounted between the bolts under the base board. A picture is worth a thousand words, even if one is slightly out of focus.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

The two bolts provide a very narrow field of influence that has meant that I can delay uncouple effectively and have little chance of uncoupling as wagons are pulled/pushed over the uncoupler. Long term activity will be the ultimate test. Setting up the bolts for an effective location can take a bit of time and help from Percy Verance, but it has allowed me to fit an uncoupler in to tight spots on the Sadler's Sidings modules.
Sadler's Sidings: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=26139.0
This idea may have been pioneered by others, so credit to them also.
Cheers, Andrew G.

Always learning, from both wins and losses.
My Model Railway blog: http://ttrakandrew.wordpress.com/
My FlickR Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/85896932@N07/

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 04:28:09 AM »
I think that it's brilliant, and the pictures certainly explain the concept. Those bolts are so unobtrusive, too!

However, there are a couple of things I don't fully understand (which, as a retired physics teacher, is kinda embarrassing)...

I know these magnets are very strong, and in your last photo, the coupler has been pulled over to the left, for sure! I would have thought such extreme sideways force would derail the wagon? Or have the wagons been given extra weight?

Also, I'm not sure I fully understand how the coupled wagons can pass through these magnetic poles without some sort of effect happening. Do they have to pass above a certain speed? Once again, I would have thought that such a strong sideways force would be problematic.

I guess, as you say, you need to rely on on yer good mate Percy....

No matter what, automatic uncoupling in N has always been a problem area to me, and I find all of this very intriguing.

Thanks for posting!  :thumbsup: :beers:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline mr magnolia

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 07:20:35 AM »
Yes, smart looking idea!

I see that you are using micro trains couplets? I've decided that the coupler type is a very big factor in the success or failure of these magnet arrangements. With a combination of different wagons from Intermountain and Bachmann, I ended up having such a strong field to make the system work that it was tricky then to run my British outline stock over the magnets at any kind of slow speed.
I'm intrigued by the possibility of these bolt fixings though!

Donald

Offline SmileyFace

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 11:51:51 AM »

Also, I'm not sure I fully understand how the coupled wagons can pass through these magnetic poles without some sort of effect happening. Do they have to pass above a certain speed? Once again, I would have thought that such a strong sideways force would be problematic.

No matter what, automatic uncoupling in N has always been a problem area to me, and I find all of this very intriguing.

George

The 'knuckles' forming the actual couplings are 'G' shaped so that they remain locked together when under pulling tension but when the tension is released, (by slightly reversing the train), the knuckles will spring apart under the influence of the magnets. Speed is not an issue. Tension, or lack of, is the critical factor.

However, if the magnets are very strong, (and rare earth magnets often are), then lightweight stock can certainly be dragged sideways off the track as you suspect.

I've tried all sorts of ideas over the years but have finally accepted that, for me, the only consistently reliable uncoupling magnets are those mounted between the rails as per the manufacturers instructions. As they are usually way too long, if you score them with a tile cutter and then snap them in half they are reasonably unobtrusive between the rails when painted in track colour.

Hope this helps.
SF
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:55:01 AM by SmileyFace »

Offline JeffPreston

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 12:17:53 PM »
Hi All:

I'm in the UK and wondered if anyone here has come across a reliable bar magnet alternative to Dapol bar magnets for 'laying between the tracks'?

I'm using neodymium magnets and they have produced very good results - but I am always up for tinkering with other types!  ;)

OK - I'll get the the point - I was wondering if anyone knew of a magic bullet along the lines of "I got a bag of 10 of these from B & Q for a fiver!"...?

My point is that one can often find something well suited to our needs that is sold by a retailer who is not associated with railway modelling and this can lead to... savings...

I think I read somewhere about magnets used for kitchen cabinet doors - but can't be sure what was advised - and ideally I'd want to know what exactly is being recommended (such as a product code).

As always - any help is greatly appreciated.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:20:10 PM by JeffPreston, Reason: Clarification »

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 12:25:49 PM »
Remember those ABC Fridge magnets...... well on the back of some of them are bar magnets ....

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £250.00
Above Goal: £195.00
Site Currency: GBP
455% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything