!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Capital Lines  (Read 91457 times)

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: The Capital Lines
« Reply #315 on: September 16, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »
Are you going to weather them? If so, I'd be interested what/how you are going to do it.

Definitely, but with a whole layout to build from the ground up it's not going to be any time soon.  Most likely I'll repaint in an appropriately suicidal shade of concrete and weather with powders.

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: September 20, 2017, 07:12:57 PM »
This week the house has been invaded by tradesman once more, doing the (hopefully) last round of snag fixing.  With the mancave temporarily packed solid with detritus* again Iíve not been able to access the layout :(

This merry band of artisans left at lunchtime today, however, and most things have now been replaced in the rooms below where they belong.  Hoorah! - Iíve even managed some layout wiring and testing! 8)

And now there shouldnít be any more invasions of my designated play area Iíve got a whole load of timber being delivered tomorrow for the next phase  :beers:

* No, not the troll

Offline pape_timmo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #317 on: September 21, 2017, 09:24:24 AM »
You'd have 'The Watch' on your back if Detritus was stuck in there...

Great work though, keep it up.

Cheers, Timmo
Thereís the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #318 on: September 22, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »

A considerable amount of woodwork today on what is still really the first phase of the layout build.  I couldnít put this up at the same time as the earlier stage because it restricts access to the Velux windows above the layout and remedial work was needed on these first.

But with that work now complete a new delivery of timber has been cut and fixed in place - shame I ran out of screws >:(

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #319 on: September 27, 2017, 02:28:36 PM »

Still busy with the wood-butchering at the moment, which isnít really worth a photo yet, so by way of light relief my postperson has just handed this one over.  Tomytec Condominium 062-2, direct from PlazaJapan via ebay.

Should take all of 5 minutes to assemble knowing Tomytec, but I must finish the baseboards first!

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: September 27, 2017, 03:25:39 PM »

Still busy with the wood-butchering at the moment, which isnít really worth a photo yet, so by way of light relief my postperson has just handed this one over.  Tomytec Condominium 062-2, direct from PlazaJapan via ebay.

Should take all of 5 minutes to assemble knowing Tomytec, but I must finish the baseboards first!

That one's trickier than it looks, you really need at least 3 hands for it (not a problem for me  8) ). Pretty sure I ended up glueing some parts in place.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #321 on: September 27, 2017, 05:10:47 PM »

That one's trickier than it looks, you really need at least 3 hands for it (not a problem for me  8) ). Pretty sure I ended up glueing some parts in place.

Yes, it's a bit on the floppy side when clipped together!  Glue will be in order before parts vanish into the vacuum cleaner :goggleeyes:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #322 on: September 28, 2017, 07:37:03 AM »
I much prefer the colour of the previous building  :laugh3:

The detritus isn't possum related?

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #323 on: September 30, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »

A view of the layout as of 20 minutes ago, taken whilst wobbling uncertainly on top of a well padded armchair and trying not to drop the iPad :goggleeyes:

This week the baseboard has grown (regular watering is the key) almost entirely down the long side of the room.  Thereís a gap remaining off camera to the right which will have a temporary return loop fitted this weekend.  In fact, I envisage quite a lot of progress over the next week as Fiona is away in Scotland for a gathering of the clans :wave:

This section (Phase 1) is all yard, the basement parking level of the layout, hence the totally flat (within given parameters of my woodwork) baseboards. Scenery on this Ďscenicí fiddle yard will be restricted to station and yard detailing, to make the expanse of tracks a little more interesting from the onboard camera perspective.  Which reminds me, Iíve not seen the CamTruck since we moved, must have a ferret about 8)

All track at this end of the layout has just been plonked down loosely to get a feel for how things will fit, it doesnít represent the exact plan thatís currently in my head.

Thatís 2 4-CEPs plus 4 loose carriages parked in the longest platform, making sure a 12 coach train will fit.  One day Iíll have three 4-CEPs and not have to pretendÖ

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #324 on: September 30, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »
Looks great!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #325 on: September 30, 2017, 11:25:19 AM »
Hi Steve,

All looking good.

You be careful with those aerial shots anyway but knowing you have the woofers..... I did mine on a chair, half in the room and half on top of the landing. The Belgian and Carpathian sheep dogs didn't bat an eyelid but the border collie and border cross thought it was great fun. 'Let's try and round up daddy and kill him and ourselves at the same time!'

Always looking forward to more.

Cheers weave  :beers:

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #326 on: September 30, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »
You be careful with those aerial shots anyway but knowing you have the woofers..... I did mine on a chair, half in the room and half on top of the landing. The Belgian and Carpathian sheep dogs didn't bat an eyelid but the border collie and border cross thought it was great fun. 'Let's try and round up daddy and kill him and ourselves at the same time!'

Too right!  Now we've got twice as many stairs in the house the Break-A-Neck game is being pursued with renewed vigour. :censored:

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #327 on: September 30, 2017, 03:05:53 PM »

Itís amazing how much you can get done when left without a responsible adult in the house.  Iíve got the supports in for the temporary return loop and still had time to browse both the N Gauge Journal and the 2mm Magazine.  Washing up nil, trains three :smiley-laughing:

This joins on to the bottom right of the previous photo.  The large piece of expanded polystyrene* came with the new fridge-freezer and was grabbed for train-set use as soon as I saw it.

* Probably the most fire-resistant part of the whole caboodle from what Iíve read :worried:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+88)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #328 on: September 30, 2017, 03:26:28 PM »
That's far too tidy :o
What have you done with your real railway room? :telloff: ;)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #329 on: September 30, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »
Itís amazing how much you can get done when left without a responsible adult in the house.  Iíve got the supports in for the temporary return loop and still had time to browse both the N Gauge Journal and the 2mm Magazine.  Washing up nil, trains three :smiley-laughing:

Brilliant: agreed+++.  I would love to pop into the Train Set Room now, but I have been given vacuuming to do!

Toodle-pip.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here