!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Capital Lines  (Read 90634 times)

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Capital Lines
« Reply #255 on: August 22, 2017, 12:53:52 PM »
I have a couple of squirrel traps that could be baited with kitty Kat.  Of course you'll have to let the cat out of the bag (sorry, trap) eventually, but you could take it well away from the train room before releasing it.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: August 25, 2017, 11:42:23 AM »

A few mods to Kato number 6 turnouts I'm installing.  The diverging ends have been chopped off to bring tracks closer together, which loses the facility for attaching Unijoiners.  Just in case there's any rail creep in the future I've glued (Butanone) some black plasticard over the ends to act as insulation.  Roughly cut to size in the photo, it'll be trimmed to a better shape with a sharp knife once the glue has firmly set.

Also I've sliced off the levers for manual operation and boxed in the hole using black plasticard.  Again, this will be trimmed to shape with the trusty sharp knife once the glue has dried and will keep loose ballast and other scenic materials from gumming up the works as time goes on.

Sorry about the focussing errors, take my SLR away and I'm hopeless!

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: August 25, 2017, 11:49:40 AM »
The focus looks OK to me.  Nice closeup of 6417 - much better than mine!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #258 on: August 25, 2017, 12:46:30 PM »
Fabulous shot of the cat hair across the bunker of the pannier. My lovely cat is rarely allowed in the train room for that reason, but still his hairs creep in attach to me :doh:

Offline Seahawk

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: August 25, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »
Interesting combination of Japanese Bullet trains and 64xxs on your layout...

Got one of these?

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2017, 07:28:13 PM »
Got one of these?

Yes indeed - the little one not the mothership!  Distant ancestor of a DMU is the way I look at it, so it's Allowed ;)

Yours looks decidedly glossier then mine, have you got at it with an airbrush?

Offline Seahawk

• Awards
« Reply #261 on: August 26, 2017, 08:01:01 AM »
Shine from the studio lights...I dunno. A 64xx with one autotrailer on either side is going to be an expensive branch train.

Offline Seahawk

• Awards
« Reply #262 on: August 26, 2017, 08:10:08 AM »
I must admit to being tempted with a conversion project for my N gauge Dudley Heath layout:

Now in preservation, that's a fine-looking beastie!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 03:46:35 PM by Seahawk »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: August 26, 2017, 09:12:55 AM »
It would indeed make a fine model. B4 bogies are easy to obtain and there looks to b minimal bodywork alterations.

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #264 on: August 26, 2017, 08:05:03 PM »

As my old tin of contact adhesive had set hard I thought Iíd give Copydex a go - itís been recommended by a few folk on here.  I donít think Iíve used/sniffed any since junior school in the late 1960s!

For fixing the points in place I made sure the glue went everywhere (another thing from the late 1960s) to keep everything where it was supposed to be.  These form a key formation in the fiddle yard area from which everything else radiates and I was mindful of the lack of rigidity brought about by chopping off the Unijoiners.

Other less critical track has just been spot glued in place, which should make short term removal a little easier in the event of a calamity.

As this will be the centre road of three Iíve made sure everything was laid straight and firmly weighted in place.  Later tracks will be spaced using this as a baseline.

Note the filler between the sections of baseboard.  My woodwork remains as rudimentary as ever and Iím not aiming for a French polished finish, but as Iíve a railway room with a new fitted carpet for the first time in my life I wanted to make sure glue and scenic materials didnít drip through.  The floor in the old loft had a burnt grass puddle motif by the time Iíd finished with it.

Copydex works very well and Iím certainly pleased with it so far - thanks to those who suggested it.  And yes, I did remember to remove the rulers before the glue dried!

Online dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #265 on: August 26, 2017, 08:56:15 PM »
A few mods to Kato number 6 turnouts I'm installing.  The diverging ends have been chopped off to bring tracks closer together, which loses the facility for attaching Unijoiners.  Just in case there's any rail creep in the future I've glued (Butanone) some black plasticard over the ends to act as insulation.

Also I've sliced off the levers for manual operation and boxed in the hole using black plasticard.

Interesting  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #266 on: August 26, 2017, 09:30:49 PM »
 thought Iíd give Copydex a go ...  I donít think Iíve used/sniffed any since junior school in the late 1960s!

Nostalgia bottled. :D Hits me every time I open it up. :laugh3:
ďWe are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,Ē UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. ďThe welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.Ē

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #267 on: August 26, 2017, 10:07:40 PM »
Hi,

You might know better but I've been told not to glue Kato points except on the outside but as you have, and you might know this too, if ever you need to lift them (and I know this from experience) be very, very careful as that metal plate will twist, come apart, warp etc. causing no end of trouble if the fiddly bits inside move.

Advice from a novice (still)

Cheers weave  :beers:

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #268 on: August 27, 2017, 09:08:35 AM »
You might know better but I've been told not to glue Kato points except on the outside but as you have, and you might know this too, if ever you need to lift them (and I know this from experience) be very, very careful as that metal plate will twist, come apart, warp etc. causing no end of trouble if the fiddly bits inside move.

Hi Weave,

Nothing wrong with the advice you were given at all. Iíve got a very mangled double crossover retrieved from my previous layout that can be directly attributed to my over enthusiastic use of contact adhesive! :o

However, for these three points in the middle of the throat, I wanted belts and braces even if it does mean they end up going in the bin should alterations be required in the future.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #269 on: August 27, 2017, 09:28:52 AM »
You both make good points (sorry!) here.

There are glues and glues.  Copydex is, in my experience, more forgiving if one later decides to take things apart, for instance, to replace a failed set of points.  I would be reluctant to use other glues on the underside and certainly would restrict them to a little fillet along the side of the Kato track and points.

Given the importance of the particular formation and Steve's brilliant alterations to the #6 points, I think that using Copydex was the optimum solution.

My preferred method of holding down 'Unitrack' in normal circumstances is Peco track pins with the track mounted on Sundeala which is, in turn, on top of ply, MDF or similar.

By the way, please don't think that Kato points make a habit of failing and needing to be replaced.  There are 30 #6 and one double crossover on the present, reduced, version of 'Sandrock'.  In six years' use, I have replaced one #6. 

Best wishes

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything