!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Capital Lines  (Read 122733 times)

Mito and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: The Capital Lines
« Reply #1245 on: May 27, 2020, 11:38:39 AM »
It wasn't me who laid that track! :no: Honest.

Online Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1246 on: May 27, 2020, 01:58:51 PM »
I don't know what to make of those Shinkansens.  :confused1:

The first word that comes to mind is ugly, but it doesn't really fit. BR class 455 is astonishingly ugly as in "designed by committee" ugly. The Shinkansens though might have been designed by a committee who were all stoned and given the brief to "design a train that doesn't look like a train".  ;D

Either way I'm indebted to Steve for the above photo. Never again will I worry whether its ok to have my class 52 Western hauling crimson and cream coaches, or if its alright to have a 101 next to a 350.

Rule 1 applies!  :D

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #1247 on: May 27, 2020, 02:45:22 PM »
I don't know what to make of those Shinkansens.  :confused1:

The first word that comes to mind is ugly, but it doesn't really fit. BR class 455 is astonishingly ugly as in "designed by committee" ugly. The Shinkansens though might have been designed by a committee who were all stoned and given the brief to "design a train that doesn't look like a train".  ;D

I think the issue with the E5 Shinkansens is that they were designed like trains which need to spend a fair bit of time zipping about at 320km/h pushing those pesky air molecules out of the way without making too much noise.

Such is the speed of development in Japan that one is already in a museum:

e5-shinkansen-jr-museum-2019-05-12_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Not really my cup of tea though, and I don't as yet own any models of the post-2000 very pointy nose Shinkansen generation.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:04:32 PM by railsquid »
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1248 on: May 29, 2020, 10:01:54 AM »

Itís only now I realise just how clean an environment a loft provides compared to a room in the house.  Tracks need cleaning far more often ďbelow stairsĒ, Mrs Bridges ;)

Iím working on a cab-ride video and am being plagued by flying seeds of various varieties.  They blow in through the windows and clog up mechanisms and points with enthusiasm.  One more big vacuum session and then a final reshoot.  If the video includes copious stuttering and assorted floaty things then so be it.  Iím not doing it all over again :veryangry:

Music while I work: Epic - Requiem for the Indifferent

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1249 on: May 29, 2020, 04:27:28 PM »

Filmed against the clock this morning as once the sun moves round the uncontrollable bright patches in the room are not very video-friendly.  I thought the gremlins had me beat, but I got there in the end.  Very wobbly in places, I really must sort out a steady wagon and put it aside as a dedicated camera support vehicle.  But at least nothing fell off or ground to a halt this time 8)

I had planned more in the way of moving trains but, if Iím honest, over-reached myself considerably with the computer side of things given the amount of problems I was having with the layout itself.  So I went back to manual control, one handset for the camera and another for a single DMU leaving the station on a branch service.  More elaborate pathing next time, perhaps :hmmm:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1250 on: May 29, 2020, 04:59:03 PM »
Smashing. Out of curiosity how many tippler wagons did I see in the scenic freight yard? :goggleeyes:

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1251 on: May 29, 2020, 06:46:35 PM »
Smashing. Out of curiosity how many tippler wagons did I see in the scenic freight yard? :goggleeyes:

You're primarily looking at a rake of 50 there, but there are others scattered around.

Back when I sold off all my OO to fund a start in N (2014-ish?) the intention was to model the London Extension of the Great Central in the East Midlands, hence rakes of iron ore tipplers.  Back then they were about £5 each, I'd have a heart attack if I had to buy 'em now! :o

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #1252 on: May 29, 2020, 07:41:56 PM »
Back then they were about £5 each, I'd have a heart attack if I had to buy 'em now! :o

Like so many things in the model railway world, I wish I had bought a lot more rolling stock years ago as the increase in price is so great.  :'(

Stay safe

Mike H   8)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1253 on: May 29, 2020, 09:21:11 PM »
Steve; that film is simply excellent.  You have captured the 'feel' of sitting up front very well indeed.  Some more signals and you'll be there.  I loved that crossover at Ketley.  Without a signal, I found myself instinctively looking at the switch positions (not required in GB but saved the day recently) for a route indication.  And, yes, I held the arm of the seat when I saw it was set for the diverging road.

Great stuff!

Thank you and all best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1254 on: May 29, 2020, 10:20:58 PM »
Some more signals and you'll be there.

Thanks John.  I've quite a few signals ready to plant, but am trying to hold off as long as possible because I know from past experience I'll break them with a careless elbow.  The two I've put in are well out of my normal reaching area and the next couple will be on the following curve - it's in a corner and thus relatively protected.  Once I get some fascia installed it'll be easier to add acrylic protectors or similar.

I love cab rides, real or model, and spend hours watching them.  I'm currently hooked on one from 225 Studios, Burton on Trent to Shrewsbury.  Passes most places I've lived and takes in some of the freight only routes either side of Walsall :thumbsup:

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #1255 on: May 30, 2020, 12:15:08 AM »
looking really good, i've missed your videos.

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #1256 on: May 30, 2020, 02:00:28 AM »
takes in some of the freight only routes either side of Walsall :thumbsup:

Best way to see Walsall, IMHO.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1257 on: May 30, 2020, 02:35:02 AM »

I love cab rides, real or model, and spend hours watching them.  I'm currently hooked on one from 225 Studios, Burton on Trent to Shrewsbury.  Passes most places I've lived and takes in some of the freight only routes either side of Walsall :thumbsup:
     here is my favourite   https://youtu.be/0xhgtpInKHU                                     Least you can see any issues that may need rectifying on your video
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 02:37:54 AM by crewearpley40 »

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1258 on: May 30, 2020, 08:59:54 AM »
Best way to see Walsall, IMHO.

Although I consider it my hometown (went to school there, took my first railway photograph there, even saw Lone Star and Budgie play the Town Hall on the same bill which went some way to eradicate the memory of terminal school speech days in that place) I think it's 11 or 12 years since I last set foot in the town.

Some bostin' curry houses, though :drool:

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #1259 on: May 30, 2020, 11:59:55 AM »
Steve,

ref cab ride 14 at 3:05. What make are those signals please? How are they operated/powered?

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal