!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Project Fresh Start  (Read 548 times)

Offline Madann01

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Project Fresh Start
« on: December 21, 2018, 08:21:59 PM »
 Intro ( bit long winded, :sorrysign:

Having Joined the NGF a short while ago it became apparent to me that although I had fairly good knowledge of model railway practice, I was making too many costly errors in trying to get trains out of boxes and up and running. I had been taking one step forward and two steps back with many reworkings of the layout some enforced. The past couple of years I have been virtually housebound following a accident which left me with plenty of time to devote to modelling, Alas it was always going to be tomorrow, :-[ I did eventuality get stuck in a couple of months ago but was still was making many simple errors :(.
 Something needed to change and when my new expensive loco stopped working after 10 minutes I despairingly searched on the Internet for answers, It was then I found my saviour 'The NGF' :claphappy: Having joined I soon found out that I was just playing around and if I was to get any real satisfaction From the hobby I would have to take things a little more seriously and having very high standards when it comes to workmanship I decided to rip my old layout up completely and start again using best practice learned from the NGF members via the forum :help:

I have some very definite ideas about what i want to get out of the model however i will be open to ideas as the layou develops But firstly as with all building you start with the foundations, (The baseboard) I have been working on these all week and shall be posting some photos later this evening when i work out best way to do it,  :confused2: showing the area i have to work with. :pint:
                 :thankyousign:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Project Fresh Start
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 08:42:52 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  We all look forward to many posts from you in the future.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 06:21:33 AM »
Hi Madann01,

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to your build and more info ie. proposed era/ area etc.

Glad you joined. It's helped me no end.

Have fun.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 08:00:11 AM »
Welcome aboard, look forward to seeing what you are proposing

Lots of good advice to be had on here, and freely offered by some very talented modellers

Offline Madann01

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 11:18:34 AM »
Hello finally got around to posting photos of the baseboards and the area available to work in. The basebords are of a hollow core construction consisting of 2 x 1500mm x 750mm boards along the rear wall with a drop section between to allow for some sort of scenic feature tbc, giving a ovearall working area of 3300mm x 700mm.

There are two return arms again of hollow core construction, left hand side 1200mm x 600mm and right hand 600mm x 600mm the initially being used for hidden loops and or storage sidings and there is scope to extend further at a later date. All baseboards have been lined with a high density foam sheet designed for use under laminate floors (same as cork) acting as sound insulator and providing a nice level base over the previously used boards.

Centre stage area to be used for phase 1 modelling area, shelf above with sections of old layout ready to be de commissioned and parts re used

Left hand arm area to be used for storage sidings and phase 2 at a later stage

Also note the nice neat storage boxes containing tidied and sorted scenics and materials ready for use (not always been that way)

There is also a display case containing Thomas and friends locos ready for Grandchildren layouts.

Oh and please ignore. The Xmas presents hidden below
  ;)

More to follow

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 11:26:37 AM »
Lots of good advice to be had on here, and freely offered by some very talented modellers
And some not so talented, like me!  :D
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Madann01

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »
Hello again, couple of more pics to show my working area for project 'Fresh Start'

Right hand side of layout tobe used for loops, again see storage above and please excuse the temporary support legs,am awaiting new adjustable table legs

Workbench area and area for future expansion

Have not fully decided on what I am going to model although it will be Modern and will be done in phases with phase 1 being the centre section with trains entering stage left and exciting ( and returning ) stage right.

Ladies and Gentlemen. I give you the mythical blank canvas and I await to create a work of art with all your help and guidance  :thumbsup:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 12:22:22 PM »
Probably the first thing you need to ask yourself is whether it's going to be an urban, suburban or rural model (or perhaps a mixture of them).  Then, is there going to be a station and, if so, how big and where?  From your description so far, it sounds as though a station would have to be a through station, but it could have bay platforms.  The size of the station and the length of stopping trains will need to be compatible.  Will it be a mainline or branch or a mixture of both?  Also, what sort of operations will you use.  Do you want to do shunting and marshalling and, if so, in the visible model or 'off piste', so to speak?  I could go on, but this may help to to formualate a picture of what your layout may look like.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 12:23:51 PM »
And is Santa bringing you any goodies for the fortcoming layout?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Madann01

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 12:40:50 PM »
And is Santa bringing you any goodies for the fortcoming layout?

Not really thought about that, kids have been asking for a few years now what I want for Xmas and I keep replying nothing surprise me and I end up with the usual gifts of socks pants and aftershave, ;D Bit late for this year but perhaps some vouchers would be a good idea for next year :thumbsup:

Offline Madann01

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 01:09:38 PM »
Innovationgame,

]I have some ideas on what I want to do but as you say I need to allow for space considerations and  actually being able to model it,hense the phased build i should be able to get good satisfaction from building and operating a smaller area thus encompassing all the facets involved, such as track laying, wiring, modelling and scenics to name but a few this will keep me from getting bored as has happened in the past. I will float some ideas over the next few days but i am in no hurry to hastely rush into things and making expensive mistakes as i have done before. The biggest thing i have learnt so far whilst modelling in n gauge isthat you must treat every item with kid gloves as most things will break fall apart, stop working if you look at it wrongly, ;) :

:beers:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:15:16 PM by Madann01, Reason: My reply is part of quote »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 03:39:25 PM »
Not really thought about that, kids have been asking for a few years now what I want for Xmas and I keep replying nothing surprise me and I end up with the usual gifts of socks pants and aftershave, ;D Bit late for this year but perhaps some vouchers would be a good idea for next year :thumbsup:

About 5 years ago I trained (sorry) all my relatives to get me vouchers from my favourite model railway emporium for both Christmas and Birthdays and, believe me, it works a treat (especially as I generally want lots of new releases). The threat of me buying them rubbish gifts also helped! >:D

Good to see progress being made on the construction. Take your time on the track plan as I always say it's the most important part of any layout. Get it wrong and you'll hate it!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything