!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bransty  (Read 1671 times)

Offline JohnN

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Bransty
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 10:25:37 AM »
That's coming on a treat, a really lovely looking layout. And even more impressive given the 27 year gap and how far you've come with it in a relatively short space of time.  :thumbsup:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 11:38:11 AM »
Looking really good.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Potter80

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 07:43:19 PM »
Found the time over Christmas to add a few more bits to the layout. Started with the brewery adding a brick wall to divide the central road area creating a yard area which will get populated with barrels, sacks and men doing brewery stuff in time. Have only got a LMS truck in there at the moment

I also added an water crane which according to the packet is an LNWR one which fits the theme. Couldn't find any photos of one in the Cumbria area so we'll assume its fine!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 08:36:58 PM »

I also added an water crane which according to the packet is an LNWR one which fits the theme. Couldn't find any photos of one in the Cumbria area so we'll assume its fine!

For a layout based on the Bransty are of Whitehaven, I think a L&NWR water crane is ideal.  As would be a Furness Railway one.

Your layout is coming on very well indeed; congratulations!

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Potter80

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 09:25:53 PM »
Cheers for the kind feedback.

I uploaded a few videos to Flickr recently.

Tried out some double heading based on photos (http://cumbrianrailways.zenfolio.com/p536504184) I'd seen of a Keswick to Euston service: 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_fergusons/28173177969/in/album-72157677753048331/

Also gave my NCB tank a run around. Normally just shunts near the brewery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_fergusons/39988263782/in/album-72157677753048331/

And today my nuclear flask wagon arrived. Read somewhere they started being double headed sometime in the 90s so this kinda works:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_fergusons/39996248272/in/album-72157677753048331/

Offline Potter80

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 09:45:28 PM »
Haven't done many additions to the layout recently. Seem to spending most of my time playing with trains rather than modelling. That said add a few bits. A signal from P&D Marsh Railways, speed limit sign, some telegraph poles and a station sign. Not entirely happy with the feet of the station sign, so may remove these and see how it stands without them (have a spare if it refuses to stay upright).

Also been making a few videos. Uploaded the first one to flickr, link below. It's of the Sectorisation Era which my layout wasn't designed for but I think it looks ok. Had some old wagons from that era in my collection and found plenty of inspiration from flickr of trains in the Whitehaven area in that era.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_fergusons/42791203472/in/datetaken-ff/

Offline Potter80

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 09:37:52 PM »
Over the past few months I've been doing a bit more research into the old buildings of Whitehaven and came across this photo which I thought I'd try and model in the bit of the layout that wasn't finished yet. It's the pub my Dad used to drink in many years ago and the building to the side of it houses a conveyor belt taking coal from Haig Pit down to the harbour for loading onto wagons which seem to have been MGRs around the time of this photo. 

So far have knocked up a model of the pub and made a mock up of the coal conveyor belt building which I'll make from corrugated plastic sheeting. Have changed the order of the buildings so the conveyor belt goes up into the backboard and along to the right leaving the pub in the foreground/left side. The car park infront of the pub will also have an old miners "memorial" which used to be a small narrow gauge mining train back in the day. Can't find any photos of it so will be going of memory.

Here's another photo I found of the coal wagons being loaded around the corner from the pub which might be of interest.

Online red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 11:33:06 AM »
The MGRs are being pulled by one of the NCB Hunslets (as being produced RTR by the NGS)!

The tubs/tippler (?) wagons were replaced with this: https://goo.gl/images/VYMUqr
https://goo.gl/images/htgE7c

Like you I can't find any pictures of the original memorial.

Cheers, Mike

Offline Potter80

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 06:21:24 PM »
Thanks.

Yeah I think I ordered one shortly after finding this photo! Can't recall which livery I went for in the end but I'm sure it'll be fine!

Was thinking about trying out one these to represent the mine wagons. Seem the right sort of size/scale. Also gives me a excuse to try a 3D printed model as well as there are few on the same site which I fancy but want to start with something cheap/easy first. The Furness Railway Coppernob by Newman Minatures looks quite cool.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QS8MNRATE/ore-cart-nn3scale?optionId=12368688&li=marketplace

Offline Potter80

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 08:49:30 PM »
Completed the coal conveyor building. Used Slaters 1mm planking for the sides which by my calculations matched the photo and Ratios corrugated plastic for the roof. The roof plastic is too thick but I don't think you notice it that much. After a few attempts at mixing the right grey got this result.

Which after some varnish and a bit of weathering with humbrol weathering washes looked like this:

It's got more grime than the photo but I prefer it.

Would upload a photo of it on the layout but having a few issues getting it uploaded. Will try again tomorrow.

Offline Potter80

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2018, 02:38:05 PM »
And on the layout as promised. Think I'll leave it a few weeks before gluing down and adding more scenics around it but happy with the result

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2018, 02:43:56 PM »
Looks really good to me.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here