!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)  (Read 10607 times)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
Re: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)
« Reply #255 on: September 18, 2020, 11:30:10 AM »
In the gloom of a December late afternoon another B1-hauled local train departs from Stobs.  In the goods siding a J36, returning from banking a heavy freight from Hawick to Whitrope, has been "put away" to allow the passenger train to pass.

Richard

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: September 18, 2020, 01:05:36 PM »
Great film, thank you, Richard.

Sounds like a cylinder drain c0ck hasn't shut properly.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline belstone

• Awards
« Reply #257 on: September 20, 2020, 08:50:52 PM »
Essence of Waverley Route, circa 1964:  a grimy St Margarets V2 on a Millerhill - Kingmoor Class 4 freight forges up the 1 in 80 gradient through Stobs station, passing a BRCW type 2 on a Carlisle-Edinburgh passenger service.

I have spent a useful few days fiddling around with various incomplete models: my workbench looks much tidier than it did, and hopefully I can now get back onto scenic work.  60969 is the first of my two V2s to be completed: this is the one with the B1 tender drive.  60882 (loco drive) is awaiting weathering and a bit of mechanical fettling.

Here is 60969 in cruel close-up: it suffered a mishap with the body so it has lots of filler in it, which together with my inept painting skills makes it look as though it was put together from a whitemetal kit.  I still like it a lot more than the standard Farish loco though. 

Richard

Offline belstone

• Awards
« Reply #258 on: September 24, 2020, 10:26:08 PM »

V2s were never common on Waverley Route passenger workings: our photographer was very lucky to be at Stobs to capture 60882 heading north across the viaduct and about to pass a Clayton (D8560) running light engine, possibly on crew training duty. D8560 was new to 64B (Haymarket) at the end of November 1963 and 60882 was withdrawn in July 1964 which narrows down the date for this photo.

60882 is not quite finished, needing some heavy weathering which will disguise the fact that I chickened out of doing the boiler lining after the grief I had doing the same job on 60969.  I have studied numerous colour photos of St Margarets V2s and haven't yet found one where you can actually see the boiler lining. D8560 needs buffer beam details and has an elusive mechanical issue which is causing a grinding sound being transmitted through the wheels.  It is also very sensitive to dirty track, more than it should be with 8 wheel pickup.  Next step is to swap the bogies with D8585 (which is a quiet, smooth runner) and see if that fixes the problem. I do hope my model Claytons aren't going to be as temperamental as the real ones were.

Richard

Offline belstone

• Awards
« Reply #259 on: Yesterday at 08:29:07 PM »
A Waverley Route layout can never have too many V2s, and a non-runner in lined green turned up on eBay so I snaffled it.  Makes an interesting comparison with 60882 and I'm so glad I found the courage to tackle that boiler skirt.

I'll need an identity for this one.  I found that St Margarets had one named V2 - 60873 "Coldstreamer" - but that one was paired with an early flare-sided tender, at least towards the end of its life, which would mean buying another J39 just so I could swap the tender top with the V2. Tempting, but a bit silly really.  I spent Sunday evening fettling 61099 which now runs about as well as a Dapol B1 is going to, so it's about time I stopped messing around with locomotives and got back to building a layout for them to run on.

Richard

Online Nbodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #260 on: Yesterday at 08:38:23 PM »
Richard,

The V2 looks completely different without the boiler skirt, it was always the one thing that spoilt the Farish V2 along with the annoying front bogie

Mike H  8)

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal