!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Can 2mm finescale kits be adapted to n gauge  (Read 5469 times)

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
Can 2mm finescale kits be adapted to n gauge
« on: April 12, 2013, 05:59:23 PM »
 ???
I am new to n gauge and have been converted from EM gauge because of the space constraints.

I have always been used to making my own locos and stock from kits when working with EM gauge and this has been one of the most interesting parts of the hobby for me.

There seem to limited opportunities for kit building with n gauge, particularly for locos (steam), but there seem to be more opportunities with 2mm finescale.

I don't want the bother of using 2mm finescale track or making my own pointwork and I want to be able to run RTR n gauge locos and stock.

So my question is ... is it possible to modify 2mm finescale loco kits and rolling stock to run on n gauge track?

I expect that many of the 2mm scale fans will be having a fit at this post but building kits to run on n gauge will be a real plus for me.

Thanks

Bob Austin
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Pixie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 2mm Association Number: 4380
    • Awards
Re: Can 2mm finescale kits be adapted to n gauge
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:50:31 PM »
Hi Bob,

Rolling stick kits shouldn't be too much of an issues, the 2mm Association produces N gauge wheels on the standard 12.25mm length axle which a lot of kits use. There maybe some tweaks required to brake gear, but nothing major. Do you have any kits in mind?

Loco kits are a little tricker due to the lack of available and usable wheels.

Hope this helps!

Pix

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 09:49:28 PM »
 :D
Thanks Pixie

I don't have anything in mind just yet. Just trying to get a feel as to what is available. I am interested in loco kits but I don't have a grasp on what's available yet.

Could be there are some n gauge kits available as well as 2 mm kits. Do you know if I have to join 2 mm scale group to get access to their shop - like n gauge society?

Thanks for your help.

Bob Austin
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Pixie

• 2mm Association Number: 4380
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 10:07:38 PM »
Hi Bob,

Correct - just like the NGS, you need to be a member of the 2mm Association to gain access to the stores. Wholly recommended though!

For loco kits, there's a few places to check out. Chris Higgs (Masterclass Models) has recently produced an 8F kit, Bob Jones (Fencehouse Foundry) has done a couple of NER prototypes, a 9F and a J39 and Damien Johnson (TwoMM Locomotives) has done a few Midland Railway prototypes. The Association itself has offered a Stanier Black Five and an 08 shunter, but i think these have now all sold out. There's also a number scratch-aid etches from people like Worsley Works.

Pix

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 03:53:40 PM »
I've built some of the 2mmSA kits with N gauge conversion wheels. The only problematic one was the GWR shunters truck, where I had to omit a couple of the guards. Lovely kit.

The wheels are also very useful for 3D print work as they allow space for printed bogie frames with an acceptable overall width, and are near essential for N gauge dumb buffered wagons as on those you can't fudge the buffer positions and make the solebars overwide.

The bogies are also very useful for N gauge kit building as they include several types (eg 8' Fox bogies) which are not available from other sources.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 04:49:42 PM »
 :D
Thanks Alan

Looks like it will be worth me joining 2mm scale association. You mention n gauge conversion wheels - are these available from 2mm SA. I haven't looked at their web site in detail yet

Bob

Bob Austin

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »
The 2mmSA sells 12.25mm axle wheels for N scale - both 3 hole wagon and plain coach wheels. Also available are 12.25mm pinpoint axles the right diameter to fit the current Farish wheels onto.

Alan

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 07:11:44 PM »
Alan

That's interesting. Looks like there are some real possibilities here. Looks like I'll have to take the misses out for a meal in exchange for 2mm SA membership!!

Bob

Bob Austin

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 07:34:52 AM »
Theres 2 locos i particularly want for my layout and thats the q6 and s15.

The s15 i imagine i could use a black 5 chassis (and paint the wheels) and with the bogie tender just swap the wheels over?

And the q6 is the harder one as im not aware of any 0-8-0 chassis with cylinders on the front....unless i used an 8f and took the front bogie off?
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 11:51:02 AM »
S15, Langley do a white metal kit which fits the Fleischmann 7161 chassis, the kit is for the Urie locos which gained Drummond Watercart tenders in the 1930s, I have heard of people using the Poole black 5 chassis, but the wheel spacing completely spoils the appearance.

If you want the Urie tender then BH Enterprises do one in their N15 kit which is available separately, with a bit of fidling you can fir a Union Mills tender drive adding a pair of wheels, you also need to figure some way of fitting the cast bogie side frames, or use etched ones, not sure if Worsley Works would still have them, I got some about 6 years ago, with the etched ones you need to fit cast axle boxes, Etched Pixels, 2mm SA, or BHE.

Another tender drive to consider is from the Minitrix 2077, but that starts to escalate the price even if you can find second hand ones on Ebay.

The Farish 2-8-0 chassis should work, the Fleetline SR Z class 0-8-0T uses one.

One problem you may come up against with N gauge wheels in 2mm kits, particularly with earlier locos is that the loco body is too narrow to accomodate the wheels, I had problems with T9 and 700 class kits, Union Mills now produce them RTR so no longer a problem for those.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Rabs

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »
I have heard a rumor that the 2mmSA are thinking of retiring the N gauge wheels that they make though - so it might be best to make sure you get what you need at the same times as the kits so that you don't get left up t'creek.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 12:15:53 PM »
The wheels are just coach/van wheels. There has been a change from preassembled N wheels to axles that take the Farish wheels (which makes it cheaper and also gives more choice of types). It has however left a gap for 7mm wheels which has been discussed but I don't know what the resolution would be.

The loco wheels are 2fs only and fit together with all the other chassis bits for building your own fine scale loco. You couldn't practically use them for N work.

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 02:44:24 PM »
I have heard a rumor that the 2mmSA are thinking of retiring the N gauge wheels that they make though - so it might be best to make sure you get what you need at the same times as the kits so that you don't get left up t'creek.

Hi

I hope not as I have several unbuilt kits that need those wheels.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline Sithlord75

• N Gauge Society Number: 13892
  • 2mm Association Number: 4430
    • Sithlord's Railway Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 12:02:11 AM »
As has been mentioned the axles to convert Farish wheels do provide more options but there has been some discussion on the 2mm VAG (an email based group) which has highlighted some issues regarding the changing specs of the wheels - some work as designed, some don't.  As Alan mentioned 7mm coach wheels are harder to come by.  I believe that there has been sufficient interest from a gang of 2mm members to start up a production process for the N gauge replacements (phew he says!  I use them a lot) so fingers crossed that normal service via the 2mm Shop will resume in due course.
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 08:52:46 AM »
As has been mentioned the axles to convert Farish wheels do provide more options but there has been some discussion on the 2mm VAG (an email based group) which has highlighted some issues regarding the changing specs of the wheels - some work as designed, some don't.  As Alan mentioned 7mm coach wheels are harder to come by.  I believe that there has been sufficient interest from a gang of 2mm members to start up a production process for the N gauge replacements (phew he says!  I use them a lot) so fingers crossed that normal service via the 2mm Shop will resume in due course.

Hi

Thanks for that and that is good news.

Since Yahoo changed the way groups work I don't use them anymore so miss any discussions on the VAG.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
November Donations

Advertise Here