!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Peco asymmetrical 3-way point  (Read 7305 times)

Offline BlythStationLad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11784
    • Awards
Peco asymmetrical 3-way point
« on: September 05, 2011, 07:35:34 PM »
Apparently this is due in the shops, in limited quantities, THIS FRIDAY! RRP 30 but Osborns are quoting 27 + p&p. I'd be interested to hear anyone's views if they get hold of one: I'll need one for my layout in the next few weeks. I would normally isolate, then power feed, the frogs via a SEEP point motor's integral switch but that may prove rather difficult/impossible in the limited space on this point?

Offline davieb

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Peco asymmetrical 3-way point
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 05:11:18 PM »
hi all

they have arrived  :thumbsup:

got mine today from trident trains in nantwich 27 but they have only one left  :(

here is a pic of it next to a peco medium code 80 L/H for comparison

hope this is of help to someone  ::)

dave

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:21:51 PM »
Excellent, thanks! :thumbsup:

Offline mrjamestrain

• N Gauge Society Number: pending
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »

got mine today from trident trains
brilliant shop friendly service recommend a visit
make way for the electro diesels

Offline bellringer

• N Gauge Society Number: 4438
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 09:48:12 PM »
Picked one up today hoping to fit it tonight. When I got home I found out that it cannot be used with standard PL-10 point motors, you need 2 PL-9 baseplate, PL-10E extended arm point motor and PL-13 single pole double throw switch, one for each tie-bar in order to motorise the point.
I do feel that the blades at the toe of the point are a little too narrow, this is due to the very short length of these and consequently the greater angle of travel compared to a standard point.
As far as wiring goes, each frog need to be able to have the polarity reversed - I was hoping that PECO could work out a way to feed power through directly from the toe, but having looked at it and played with it, I can now see that that would not have been possible.
As far as actual running goes, I have yet to try it. I have a very slight reservation about the transition of stock over the frogs - one of the gaps seems quite large, but cannot yet try this out.
Back to the model shop tomorrow to hopefully pick up the other parts, then I can fit it and test it.

Offline bellringer

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 10:55:48 PM »
Well, as you can see I have finally installed the 3-way:

Looking towards the goods shed. Cowleazeford is loosely based on Totnes and the shed there was accessed in a similar way.

Looking the other way, the 3-way can be seen and forms a major part of the access to one of the main platform faces.

If I am honest, it was not as easy as I had expected. This is partly due to the fact that I was replacing an already existing point and also because I had to work in a restriced space under the baseboard.

As I mentioned previously, point motors cannot be attached to this point so my first challenge was to provide a sound support for the motor under the board. Once this was done, and the point trial fitted, it was a matter of drilling access holes for the point motor arm and the two electrical feeds, one for each frog. This was the easy bit. The hardest part was making the very fine adjustments to one of the two motors in order to get the changeover switch to activate properly, particularly because I was working under the board.

It is now going through a testing phase. So far, so good. Stock seems to go over it happily - OK, for most traffic it will be a trailing point, but I haven't encountered any problems yet with things travelly in the other direction. Visually I am still not 100% happy with the blades at the toe of the point, but one the track is ballasted and weathered this will be less of a problem.

All in all, it is a very useful space saver, it has increased the capacity of my goods yard by about 8-10 wagons by replacing the 2 points that were there previously and I am generally pleased with it. Just bear in mind that, even if you are not planning to motorise it, you will need switches to change the polarity of the each frog dependant upon the direction the point is set.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 10:37:41 AM »
Certainly looks the part, is there any way you can point you camera underneath, just to give us an idea of how you got the motors to work with it.

Offline Bikeracer

• N Gauge Society Number: 21763
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 03:06:01 PM »
I'm thinking of getting some of these for my goods yard.

I use wire in tube operation and I'm using DCC control.
Am I right in thinking that it will involve switches to transfer the power to each branch,because if it involves wiring switches in to what are basically manually operated points I'll probably give them a miss.All my other points are insulfrog and don't need any switches.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Offline bellringer

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 12:43:08 PM »
You will need to wire in something to change the polarity of the frogs. If you feed power in from the toe of the point, depending on the position of the blades you would end up with a short circuit without switches. The point comes with 2 wire droppers which feed to each frog and these will need to have polarity changed.
Hope this helps with your decision!

Offline Bikeracer

• N Gauge Society Number: 21763
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 01:00:21 PM »
Thanks.

I'm on DCC so power is to all rails and I've steered clear of Electrofrog points because I'm not really sure about the extra wiring and switches involved.All the points are on wire in tube manual actuation so theres no automatic power switching from a point motor.
Apart from the droppers to the bus wires that's all the wiring there is on my layout because I didn't want to run the risk of a point motor failing and not being able to access it afterwards.

I'm rapidly getting to the point where I've got to finalise how I'm going to do my goods yard and after playing about in Anyrail they look to be ideal,but.......I need three,so a bit expensive plus I didn't really want to have to switch current about although I assume there's some sort of wiring instructions with the point anyway.
Looks like I'll have to ponder it a bit more now.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Offline bellringer

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 01:13:35 PM »
If I remember correctly, it did come with instructions, although they were not, in my opinion, the easiest to get you head around.
You would need 2 SPDT switches, one for each set of blades, which should be fairly easy to rig up with a wire in tube system, from other examples that I have seen. The worst part is getting your head around the correct polarity. I recall when I installed it, using point motors and microswitches attached to the point motors, I ended up cursing and swearing a few times when my fingers got in the way of the soldering iron because I had to swap a couple of wires.
Unfortunately, due to the nature of Cowleazeford's construction, it was easier to work on the electrics underneath the baseboard rather than take up the board to a more sensible working angle!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 12:28:30 PM »
Hi from OZ
The PECO three way looks most interesting and your input is appreciated by me and must certainly be by anyone using or considering using one!
Here is a pic of the only option I had in 1986 - a Shinohara one! How overscale is that rail cross section! However, 2012, and it still works fine except for soldering the PECO (Code 80!) rail to it and getting it to line up both on the inside and the height, thank you very much. And no the locos get over it fine.... its just that I haven't got juice to the track beyond yet.....
Too late on an Aussie nite. Anyway Doctor Who's on.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations