!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sprat and Winkle question  (Read 635 times)

Offline Tedesco

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Sprat and Winkle question
« on: February 08, 2014, 02:04:51 PM »
Hi All,

My apologies if I appear to be hogging this section of the forum. I am at the awkward stage (and age too :D) of pre-tracklaying and there are lots of things like wire in tube control, magnets for Sprat and Winkle couplings to consider at the same time. Before fitting the magnets I wanted to try out fitting some couplings to some trucks and trying them out. 

My layout is a terminus and I intend to only fit a S&W hook to one end of each truck and a loop to the other. On reading the instructions beforehand (quite a novel event for me ) I wondered if the lateral 20 degree bend of the hook to the paddle i.e. bend number 2, is to permit 2 hooks to be used. As I am using only one hook can I omit this bend? 

Many thanks,
Lawrence

Offline martink

• N Gauge Society Number: 10410
    • PhotoBucket
    • Model Railway Musings
    • Awards
Re: Sprat and Winkle question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 02:12:48 PM »
I played with the S&Ws (and MBMs) before switching to B&Bs and yes, if I remember correctly, that is exactly what that bend was for.  So yes, you should be able to omit it.  You should also be able to make the bend (or near enough) on an installed coupler later on if you ever find you do need it.

Offline Tedesco

• Awards
Re: Sprat and Winkle question
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 03:17:59 PM »
Hi,

That is just the reassurance I needed before making some jigs.

Many thanks,
Lawrence

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
November Donations

Advertise Here