!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: An approach to Wire-in-Tube point operation  (Read 8435 times)

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: An approach to Wire-in-Tube point operation
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »
Thanks Trainsdownunder,

That lever frame looks great doesn't it!  Mind you, looks pretty big against N Gauge stock (I know it's not supposed to be scale!), and of course, you still have to sort frog switching.

What I don't understand though is the use of the 90deg bellcranks.  In my experience really not necessary, they add further complexity, are a maintenance issue, need to be concealed etc.  This is especially puzzling as the Mercontrol PTFE and wire looks smaller dia. than I use (the "Slippery Sid" standard) so you would think would go around smaller curves.  If you look on the Horseblock video, I think the radius is about 2" and it works fine.

Cheers  Jon   :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 08:32:12 PM »
I tend to agree about the cranks. The only place I've used cranks before is on servos and whilst the work fine it is something else that can be fiddly to work with,

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 05:20:15 PM »
To update this thread with some photos from my newest layout....

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline MalcolmInN

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »
Great thread Jon, thanks, now it all becomes clear to my little brain cell,
I especially like the good detailed macro last shot. Perfect !

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 09:08:04 PM »
I use the slide type of switch, much easier to drill the hole, even get 2 wires in one switch for crossovers

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

and some plastic cranks (sold for model aircraft) to change "push" to "pull" for one of the points of the crossover

I installed mine after track laying, I use strips cut from cork tiles for  trackbed over 2" thick insulation foam, it's quite easy to make a channel in that to bury the tube and cover with ballast or scenic scatter.

Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 06:43:07 AM »
Thanks to all who have shared their thoughts and experiences on to topic.
It's one that I am currently pondering and there is lots of useful stuff here.
Donald

Offline Old Crow

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 05:22:16 PM »
Fascinating ideas. Yes PTFE tubing - but what kind of wire are you using and where did you obtain it?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 05:46:12 PM »
Fascinating ideas. Yes PTFE tubing - but what kind of wire are you using and where did you obtain it?

Brass wire is too soft. Piano wire can work, or a similar spring steel wire.  Find a model shop which deals with model aircraft - they'll usually stock suitable stuff as it's used for wing struts and servo rodding etc.

The only example of wire-n-tube on my current layout is a short length fitted to a point for a proposed fiddle yard extension which never came to pass!   It does illustrate using a slide switch for the polarity change.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £347.00
Above Goal: £292.00
Site Currency: GBP
631% 
December Donations

Advertise Here