!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Peco Setrack Curved Points  (Read 18390 times)

Offline johnlambert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
Re: Peco Setrack Curved Points
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2016, 11:22:57 PM »
Has anyone had  experience of usage of these points and if so would they be willing to share an opinion as to there practicality please.

I recently took up half my layout to fit these points.  The only problems are those associated with short-wheelbase locos on insulated frogs.  The geometry aligns perfectly with normal Settrack spacing.  Most of my locos run through either road without any problems although a couple will only take the outer route (possibly back-to-backs need adjusting); I've tried most steam engine wheel configurations from 0-6-0 to 4-6-2 and 2-8-0, no idea how a 2-10-0 would fare.

They are great for fitting longer passing loops in on a small layout (which is what I've done); or providing a crossover between second and third radius curves.

Offline Jfheath

• Maintaining Classic Minitrix
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2016, 12:38:21 AM »
Brilliant info, thank you.  I intend buying a couple of pairs for my grandson's layout - basically a couple of concentric ovals, and have the plans on Scarm - which has a template for the curved points - although I find the oval doesn't quite join up, so the dimensions must be everso slightly out on the in the diagram - or I have done something stupid.

As for 2-10-0 - the only ones I have are minitrix versions, and their axles move laterally so much that I find that these cope very easily with the tightest radius and the tightest 9" points.  I don't know what the Dapol ones are like.

Offline elmo

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2016, 04:56:48 AM »
Greetings. Nephews Christmas present was a layout with two of these curved points.
I can confirm that the Dapol 2-10-0 and 2-8-0 will do these points without issue. Not had any problems with any locos but obviously being insulfrog some shorter locos need to take a run at them!
Elmo

Offline mojo

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2016, 11:37:00 AM »
John, thanks for the info and photos.
The insulfrog looks to be about 15mm. long from the paper template and all my locos run through a 10 degree long crossing which is about the same frog length so with luck these should be ok.
Maurice C.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2016, 01:26:10 AM »
I have just installed a RH Peco set track curved point on my layout to replace the existing short RH set track point on a short relief line on my layout and have found that although most locos including the new Dapol Schools that will negotiate it in the trailing direction, a number of them, particularly tender locos, have difficulty when they reach the v piece in the facing direction heading into the tighter curve.
This may be in part due to the fact that it is on the end of a fairly tight curve, but as it was intended to mainly be used in the trailing direction it will not be a problem for me.
wagons or coaches propelled through the point in either direction seem unaffected.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Alex

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2016, 07:39:50 PM »
more track modifications completed today, with my heart in my mouth I attacked the main lines and installed a trailing crossover utilising Peco Set track curved points. after a considerable time testing, I can happily announce that everything I tried through it had no problem in either direction (note the minimum radius of the main line curves is 12") even to the extent of putting a Brighton Belle through in the facing direction at high speed with the motor bogie in the rear (as well as a 4-CEP!).
I believe now that my problems with the point at the other end of the layout is due to the sharp curve leading into it, and would recommend anyone thinking of using these points to try and avoid putting them on too sharp a curve leading in.
The track geometry of my main lines at this location is not quite as symmetrical as it was but the ability to reverse trains in the through station was irresistible and has added a new set of operating possibilities.
now for a decent running session

Regards,

Alex

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2018, 01:16:18 PM »
I've played with both a left and right hand point, and incorporated a left hand into the original approach to the terminus. A GF Diesel Railcar and a very old Hymek with an Arnold chassis had no problems either way, but a GF 64XX pannier and a Dapol Prairie would frequently derail. The approach and exits were setrack, so there was no vertical transition. I gave up and replaced that section of track with some code 55 flexible track and a SL-E392F small radius point. Hopefully I have attached the explanation drawing correctly.

Mark

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2018, 04:04:35 PM »
... a GF 64XX pannier and a Dapol Prairie would frequently derail.

When approaching a facing point I presume? Did this happen as flanges hit the blades, or at the frog V? Just wondering if the problems were down to poorly recessed point blades, or back-to-backs not suited to the frog and check-rail measurements?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2018, 04:54:14 AM »
Just wondering if the problems were down to poorly recessed point blades, or back-to-backs not suited to the frog and check-rail measurements?

If my memory serves me correctly (it was only late last year!) the 45XX front pony would derail and the 64XX lift when the front pair of wheels hit the wing and/or check rails. I suspect the wing rail on the outer curve and possibly the check rail on the inner. I know the back to back of my 64XX is narrow (middle axle I think) as it won't run through a Micro Engineering turnout even on the straight path. The code 55 Peco point I use now is not as demanding!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here