!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 207717 times)

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #1710 on: September 15, 2020, 09:31:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum Mark. There are some nosy people on here, ( ;)), so tell us a bit about yourself and more about your layout.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline MOB 2002

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1711 on: September 15, 2020, 10:00:54 PM »

Err ... not that much to tell. Iím one of those annoying people who returned to modelling during the lockdown after nearly 20 years of playing with the full size things.

Swiss railways have fascinated me since an early age and a first visit to the country in 1992.

The layout is pretty insignificant, based on what I could get my hands on during the worst of the pandemic and only progressing slowly now that work and other things are back with a vengeance.

The inspiration came from photos of Beromunster station and other stretches of the Seetal line ... a line which Iím sad to say Iíve never travelled on. The short trains and branch line feel were what attracted me.

This is my first actual layout in N scale; discovering a De4/4 in plain weinrote for sale from a British supplier in the midst of the chaos is what tipped the balance.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1712 on: September 16, 2020, 09:23:10 AM »
Hi Mark @MOB 2002 !    Layout's looking good  :)     

The regulars on here will know I run more German than Swiss, running DC.    However I do have a selection of Swiss stock of course, including a plain red Hochstrasser De4/4 which I've just upgraded to LED lighting (it needed servicing anyway so took the opportunity  :) )  No yellow ends on mine.     I also have a couple of the original Hobbytrain Re4/4 IIs dating back to the 80s, still running pperfectly and they tend to travel in my tool box to exhibitions rather than with the rest of my stock as they are perfect catenary testers when I'm setting up  :D

Swiss visitors to KŲnigshafen!

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "KŲnigshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1713 on: September 16, 2020, 09:40:41 AM »
........................    I also have a couple of the original Hobbytrain Re4/4 IIs dating back to the 80s, still running pperfectly and they tend to travel in my tool box to exhibitions rather than with the rest of my stock as they are perfect catenary testers when I'm setting up  :D

I assume you mean Re4/4 l's Nick.   If you have some Hobbytrain Re4/4 ll's I definitely want one. :D
John

Offline MOB 2002

• Awards
« Reply #1714 on: September 16, 2020, 09:52:02 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I was pleasantly surprised by the old Hobbytrain Re4/4 given how cheap they can be picked up.

My aim is to be able to operate a local train, goods and at least one other (like a mixed or special) from the late 1970s, early 1980s and late 1980s. Iím hoping to extend that to early 1990s in due course.

So itís going to be almost a wall of green except the De4/4s until the late 80s.

Mark

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1715 on: September 16, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »
I assume you mean Re4/4 l's Nick.   
Yep, slip of the keyboard. That's what happens when you're supposed to be concentrating on a Teams meeting not toy trains :-)

The pair I have came from MG Sharp, I remember they cost £57 instead of £75 as the shop was celebrating an anniversary of some sort.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:05:05 AM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "KŲnigshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1716 on: September 16, 2020, 10:07:23 AM »
I assume you mean Re4/4 l's Nick.   
Yep, slip of the keyboard. That's what happens when you're supposed to be concentrating on a Teams meeting not toy trains :-)

The pair I have came from MG Sharp, I remember they cost £57 instead of £75 as the shop was celebrating an anniversary of some sort.

That's where mine came from.
MG Sharp was a great shop and was where I got all my Swiss stock from in the early days. I sold all my British stuff to Marcway Models and immediately went to the other end of the road and spent the proceeds on Swiss stock from MG Sharp. :D
John

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1717 on: September 16, 2020, 10:18:28 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I was pleasantly surprised by the old Hobbytrain Re4/4 given how cheap they can be picked up.

My aim is to be able to operate a local train, goods and at least one other (like a mixed or special) from the late 1970s, early 1980s and late 1980s. Iím hoping to extend that to early 1990s in due course.

So itís going to be almost a wall of green except the De4/4s until the late 80s.

Mark

Do you fancy starting your own thread in the "Layout Construction" section Mark?
It would be great to follow your progress. I see you have already got a good selection of stock used in that area.
John

Offline MOB 2002

• Awards
« Reply #1718 on: September 16, 2020, 11:04:02 AM »
Iíll give it a go in the next day or two ... I certainly canít promise groundbreaking techniques or earth shattering progress at the moment sadly. Iím going to force myself to scratch build the loco shed, but I still feel like Iím getting to grips with 1:160 scale!

Mark

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1719 on: September 17, 2020, 06:22:50 PM »
Iíll give it a go in the next day or two ... I certainly canít promise groundbreaking techniques or earth shattering progress at the moment sadly. Iím going to force myself to scratch build the loco shed, but I still feel like Iím getting to grips with 1:160 scale!

Mark

Welcome Mark, we'd like to see posts about your layout progress. Don't let Nick put you off RE460s, or myself put you off Vectrons!   :smiley-laughing:

Offline MOB 2002

• Awards
« Reply #1720 on: September 17, 2020, 06:57:35 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I still havenít got to the layout thread yet; although new local coronavirus restrictions have probably helped my modelling time allocation no end today!

In the meantime, the dangers of eBay have struck again. This time itís stock for the late 1970s local in the shape of a pair of Eriam Seetal carriages; an A and an AB. They might not be the most sophisticated of models, but theyíve got character.

Mark

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1721 on: September 17, 2020, 08:17:37 PM »
I still havenít got to the layout thread yet

I must admit I was a member on here for years before I finally got round to starting a thread for KŲnigshafen  :)

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #1722 on: September 24, 2020, 11:44:17 PM »

from the late 1970s, early 1980s and late 1980s. Iím hoping to extend that to early 1990s in due course.

Mark

No need for all green! Don't forget that the last build of Re4/4II (the batch that are now Re421) were delivered from new in red livery. The first was in May 1984 - which is the 'early' 1980s.

Some Re4/4I were also being repainted in red in 1984

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:48:38 PM by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #1723 on: Yesterday at 05:24:45 PM »

The inspiration came from photos of Beromunster station and other stretches of the Seetal line ... a line which Iím sad to say Iíve never travelled on. The short trains and branch line feel were what attracted me.

I camped on the Seetalbahn in the 1980s and 1990s. Here is my picture of an Ae3/6 returning ECS south out of Beinwil am See having brought the rush hour loco hauled extra from Luzern to Beinwil

European railway expert

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #1724 on: Yesterday at 05:32:24 PM »

In the meantime, the dangers of eBay have struck again. This time itís stock for the late 1970s local in the shape of a pair of Eriam Seetal carriages; an A and an AB. They might not be the most sophisticated of models, but theyíve got character.

Here's a similar coach on the Oensingen - Balsthal Bahn:

(by the way that is probably an even better line to model due to the diversity of stock, and it is so short you can almost have the whole thing in  N scale!)

European railway expert

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal